Helmet Chinbar Question | GTAMotorcycle.com

Helmet Chinbar Question

jdavids1

Hey Guys

If you push on the chinbar of a helmet, should it be able to touch your chin?

I feel like most helmets will allow my chin to touch if I apply a moderate pressure to the chinbar, is that normal? I kind of feel like that would hit me in the face in a crash.

James

How far is the chinbar from your chin? Shouldn't it be really close to your chin to begin with?

not normal. I may be able to hit it in a big crash, but I could be punched in the helmet without contact. The helmet does not seem like a good fit for your head size/shape.

I could touch my chin on my arai if I pushed on it. It sat very close to my face. Other helmets I haven't been able to.

I cant touch it no matter how hard I push on it, but then again like someone pointed out it depends on the helmet shape.

Horse = yes. Human = probably not.

horse_helmet.jpg

I feel like most helmets will allow my chin to touch if I apply a moderate pressure to the chinbar, is that normal? I kind of feel like that would hit me in the face in a crash.

The chinbar protection is not as heavy as the skull. you actually want that to be tight, so the energy from the accelerating helmet is absorbed by the EPS, which is still thin at that point.
It's really about abrasion protection on the chinbar.
Some AGVs have a very tight chinbar. Interestingly, neither Snell nor Spark nor DOT even test this region.

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/content/how-fit-your-helmet

I have a tall Jay Leno type head (not quite as big a chin, but it's up there.) Testing my AGV GP-Tech, I can have my chin graze the chinbar if I push hard enough, but if I give the chinbar a good smack/punch, it's my whole head that can feel the impact, not the chin. I assume that's good.

Will have to test my other helmets.

Okay, I give up. Who's Spark? :confused:

Follow the link, British Government testing lab. They test all brands and rate them. This is where you ill find out that more $ does not equal a safer helmet, and some pricey helmets are actually not as good as cheap ones.

I think you're talking about SHARP.

My GP-Tech had a 5-star SHARP sticker on the faceshield when I got it.

You should be able to find a good fit. Or just wear a beanie.

Okay, I give up. Who's Spark? :confused:

The horse.

The chinbar protection is not as heavy as the skull. you actually want that to be tight, so the energy from the accelerating helmet is absorbed by the EPS, which is still thin at that point.
It's really about abrasion protection on the chinbar.
Some AGVs have a very tight chinbar. Interestingly, neither Snell nor Spark nor DOT even test this region.

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/content/how-fit-your-helmet

Doesnt Snell require a full face helmet? Or is that just because it has to be race worthy also?

The same thing happened if I pushed on the front of the Speed and Strength helmet that I used to have, I tried on alot of helmets and many were the same way on my head. I ended up getting a Shoei GT-Air and it doesn't happen anymore.

Now you got it. Helmets are shaped differently just like our heads are shaped differently. The helmet should be very snug but not cause pressure point on your head, not move. It may take you trying every model that is available at the Motorcycle Store before you can find one that suits your head shape. The helmet will loosen slightly with age; replace when becomes loose.

Back
Top Bottom