Carbon fibre wrap | GTAMotorcycle.com

Carbon fibre wrap

I have an FZ-09 and I'm looking for a place to wrap the gas tank in carbon fibre.Not the vinyl but the real stuff. Can anyone point me n the right direction?
Doesn't Real carbon fibre costs a small fortune - you'll be paying 25% of what your bikes worth for real C.F.?

Last edited:
I buy it from Spruce, the local aircraft supply shop.
Carboncat has extensive experience in how to use the resins to cover your existing bodywork, then use automotive UV protective clearcoat to make it shine, protect, and not yellow from sunlight.

I spent less than $250 for the carbon fibre and the West Systems Resin kit for an entire bike

Doesn't Real carbon fibre costs a small fortune - you'll be paying 25% of what your bikes worth for real C.F.?

CF mat is not that expensive.

However, look around at bikes that did this a few years ago, they like like crap after a few years of sun damage.

You can do it yourself if you are at all handy. Aircraft spruce is the best place I know of for material (price and selection).

There are all kinds of online tutorials for wrapping (check youtube). Basically make sure the park is clean and well scuffed. Spread your mixed epoxy all over the part. Wait until it starts to tack and then lay the carbon fibre on it. Once that is done you spread more epoxy and follow-up with a UV resistant clear coat.

Here is an example I have done... This was the first attempt, could do a lot better now.

Honestly, I don't see the point. If its about the Cool CF aesthetic, get a vinyl wrap.

+1
The new "3d" and "4d" vinyl from 3M looks pretty good. I saw it on a hood and it is much better than anything I have seen before. It is not the real deal but it is pretty good.

isn't the whole point about lightening with CF? covering an existing part kinda goes the other way, no?

its just a vanity thing in a lot of applications, a look. Poorly done carbon fiber weighs as much often or more than the plastic its replacing. There is a lot of really crappy Chinese carbon components floating around, mostly black colored glass fiber and conventional resin. But you get what you pay for.

its just a vanity thing in a lot of applications, a look. Poorly done carbon fiber weighs as much often or more than the plastic its replacing. There is a lot of really crappy Chinese carbon components floating around, mostly black colored glass fiber and conventional resin. But you get what you pay for.

The best looking CF parts are made from pre-impregnated mat that is bladder filled and autoclaved. Otherwise, it's like fiberglass, only stronger.
I buy flawed CF mat for cheap and use it to reinforce plastics.

definitely agree on that one

a lot of these designs are customer requests lol...his own designs are generally a bit more tasteful.

that is nice, most wraps have these tribal designs that look like a skanky tattoo from east Hamilton.

Although, he ruined this R6...

10401653_1528593237371495_1059321384746559684_n.jpg

The best looking CF parts are made from pre-impregnated mat that is bladder filled and autoclaved. Otherwise, it's like fiberglass, only stronger.
I buy flawed CF mat for cheap and use it to reinforce plastics.

true enough but you cant really use prepreg carbon weaves at home since they have to be kept refridgerated and humidity controlled. Autoclaved will give you some absolutes in control but again most mortals don't have access to ovens and presses. Little hard for some manufacturers, not many ovens will hold a 60ft sailboat. I've had great success vacuum bagging parts so excess resin squeezes out but you get left with some wet sanding for parts yiou cant put good side showing into a mold. Wrapping and resin coating a gas tank without benefit of a vacuum bag would be a complete pain in the butt, there are just too many curves.

vinyl wrap is your friend OP.

Poorly done carbon fiber weighs as much often or more than the plastic its replacing. .

I thought the whole objective of CF is to replace steel? Not plastic?
It weighs the same as plastic that's a given, but is it as strong?

Poorly done carbon fiber weighs as much often or more than the plastic its replacing. .

Especially if you are wrapping carbon over something. Then the new part is guaranteed to weigh more and be much harder to repair. Sounds like a big improvement. :/

Besides decorative it gets used for a lot of things in a weight to strength equation, replacing steel, aluminum, wood, injection molded plastic parts and resin reinforced glass (fiberglass). With a correct resin to cloth schedule it should weigh much less than plastic parts, it's extremely strong but has the tendency to explode rather than crack and delaminate. Its prone to catastrophic failure when it lets go. Carbon also tends to eat fasteners, there is a galvanic reaction and you really should use an isolating paste like tefgel on fasteners if they will contact carbon. There is a new trend in using nomex with carbon to minimize really large high stress components from stress cracks and prolonged pounding. Its much cheaper now than ever since some patents have expired allowing other manufacturers into raw material production and the processes are so mainstream and well known its no longer the product of mystique.

It is amazingly strong. Some bicycle racing frames are below 900g, but much stiffer than any metal.
Airbus planes made of CF have an expected part swap times of decades.

Try picking up a Kaos carbon helmet.

Back
Top Bottom