My brother wants to give me his bike and I need opinions... | GTAMotorcycle.com

My brother wants to give me his bike and I need opinions...

Newblet

TL;DR My brother wants to give me his lightly crashed SV1000s and need advice if its worth keeping or selling.

So here is the scenario. I drive a 08 CBR 125 and have been for 4 seasons now. Next year I turn 25 and my last speeding ticket will be off my record. I have been calling around for insurance quotes and I will be able to afford any bike I want as long as it is not an SS.

My older brother has a 2006 SV1000S, he no longer rides it because he dropped it a few months ago in the rain on the 401 due to a lock up. It was his second motorcycle accident (first one on the 1000) and he is no longer interested in riding. If it matters he was not at fault for both of his accidents and generally doesn't beat on his bikes.

He asked me if I want it for the following reasons
-He is too lazy to fix whats broken
-He is too lazy to sell it on kijiji
-He doesn't want to ride it
-He will let it rot in my garage

Honestly, I like riding it. It is a lot of fun and has butt loads of power but it sucks on gas, the tires, maintenance etc and I don't know what it would cost to fix.

Whats broken
-rear brake doesn't seem to work (I think its the master cylinder)
-needs a mirror
-needs a turn signal
-the front fairing is cracked (not smashed, it can be fixed)
-brake leaver need to be replaced (it has pazzo but he still has the stock)
-needs rear tire plug (there is a nail in it currently)
-the first gear is acting weird, it bucks crazy but only in first gear, it doesn't slip it just bucks. It grabs, lets go, then grabs again.

So GTAM, what would you do? Fix it to keep or sell? or sell it as is.

The first gear issue is the only thing that would worry me.

Hows the chain slack? Your first gear issue could be the chain slipping on the sprockets.

Btw, crashing because he locked up the brakes is 100% at fault unless your brother hit someone else in the process.

I'd fix the rideability problems and leave the cosmetic problems as is. Cosmetic problems are expensive and don't make the bike any more fun. If you can afford insurance, ride the thing. Selling it now won't get much money, selling it after it's fixed probably won't get you enough extra to pay for the repairs.

I will buy the bike, problem solved. Stay on your 125, it doesn't seem that your interested in repairing or maintaining the bike. PM me.

Hows the chain slack? Your first gear issue could be the chain slipping on the sprockets.

Btw, crashing because he locked up the brakes is 100% at fault unless your brother hit someone else in the process.

I'd fix the rideability problems and leave the cosmetic problems as is. Cosmetic problems are expensive and don't make the bike any more fun. If you can afford insurance, ride the thing. Selling it now won't get much money, selling it after it's fixed probably won't get you enough extra to pay for the repairs.

Good point. Rider error. I guess what I meant to say is there were no charges laid and insurance did not go up as there was no claim. Sorry should have clarified.

I went to look outside, slack looks fine, rear sprocket looks fine but I cant see the front sprocket because of the cover plate thing. I'll look tomorrow after work. I think its a transmission problem, only because the clutch was replaced about 3 years ago at 28,000km. (he has the records somewhere.)

Insurance for me will be around 1600 so not killer but its double what the 125 is.

I do agree with everyone on the cosmetic damage, its not even that bad and I have some spare turn signals (for my 125 but I can make them fit i bet)

Matt I am PM-ing you now.

Free bike? How is this even a question?

It's a free bike, take it. Fix it. Then either keep it or sell it and buy what you want.

Free bike? How is this even a question?

It's sort of free. I have to fix it, store it for the winter, pay insurance blablabla all that stuff. But yes, it is essentially free. Look at it from my perspective, I ride a 125 of like 12HP that I use to commute, cost pennies to run and fix. Big step no?

I guess it's obvious I am going to take the bike, its already sitting in my garage and it will sit there for the time being as he doesn't want to ride it. I'm just not sure if I want the SV as my next bike. Just looking to stir up some convo I suppose.

Fun to ride though:D

It's sort of free. I have to fix it, store it for the winter, pay insurance blablabla all that stuff. But yes, it is essentially free. Look at it from my perspective, I ride a 125 of like 12HP that I use to commute, cost pennies to run and fix. Big step no?

I guess it's obvious I am going to take the bike, its already sitting in my garage and it will sit there for the time being as he doesn't want to ride it. I'm just not sure if I want the SV as my next bike. Just looking to stir up some convo I suppose.

Fun to ride though:D

Take it, and sell it. 125 to 1000 is quite a jump

I drive a 08 CBR 125 and have been for 4 seasons now. Next year I turn 25 and my last speeding ticket will be off my record. I have been calling around for insurance quotes and I will be able to afford any bike I want as long as it is not an SS.

This is my 6th season on my 250 and I can't even imagine how you've lasted 4 on a 125...

I also turn 25 next year, what are some ballpark figures you were getting quoted for SS bikes? I'm looking to get something new for next season as well.

This is my 6th season on my 250 and I can't even imagine how you've lasted 4 on a 125...

I also turn 25 next year, what are some ballpark figures you were getting quoted for SS bikes? I'm looking to get something new for next season as well.

I will PM you my list. I have quotes for about 30 different bikes.

I will PM you my list. I have quotes for about 30 different bikes.

Different quotes for different folks.... Never go off of someone else's quotes. They won't be anywhere close to being accurate for yourself...

Back
Top Bottom