Is the correct line/apex always the fastest line? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is the correct line/apex always the fastest line?

Mina

Site Supporter
Was just looking at some videos from yesterday's track day. SMP long track, corner 9 before the hairpin, I usually take it between the concrete patch and the turtle. I experimented a little yesterday and was taking this corner wider (outside the concrete patch) and felt like I was able to carry more speed without messing up the hairpin. Am I delusional?

So, is the correct line/apex always the fastest?

Yes, by definition. The "correct" line isn't based on what looks good on camera, it's based on what makes you go fastest. The "correct" line changes with weather and bike conditions.

In your example, it's very unlikely that missing the apex by over a metre is going to be faster in the dry unless you're doing something else wrong elsewhere, and this change mitigates that error.

Well, whatever line gets you around the track fastest is the correct line. You may have been carrying more corner speed but you actually hard to ride farther to get around that corner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In racing conditions, the correct line may be the one that allows you to plan a pass, or prevent someone else from passing you.

The line that allows the highest cornering speed probably is not the line that allows you to start accelerating sooner and might not be the line that gets you down the following straightaway faster. The importance of this depends on the bike. Big bikes can pull off a "point and shoot" strategy, small bikes need to maintain cornering speed.

In corner 9 the following straightaway isn't very long ... but my line sweeps through between the turtle and the concrete patch, for sure.

Was just looking at some videos from yesterday's track day. SMP long track, corner 9 before the hairpin, I usually take it between the concrete patch and the turtle. I experimented a little yesterday and was taking this corner wider (outside the concrete patch) and felt like I was able to carry more speed without messing up the hairpin. Am I delusional?

So, is the correct line/apex always the fastest?

I was going between the turtle and the concrete patch cause I figured that was the correct line but I kinda by accident tried it outside the patch and thought that it was smoother and easier and faster. For me it seemed like it was more difficult to hit the small gap between the turtle and concrete and if I was too fast I wasnt comfortable hitting the concrete which was the outcome so I had to err on the slower side. Now that I'm using the concrete as the "turtle" I can shoot for that harder and faster and its working out easier and safer and probably quicker...

To answer your question if the track is brand new I would say yes you need to be over the turtle but on a track with holes and ruts and concrete patches from 20 yrs ago all over it then you must find the line that would allow the most speed...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmCwJEc13Ts here you go all laps in the 46's gets a little boring after Frank passes but you get a good look at jodie's lines
Not that I needed confirmation that I'm slow but that certainly put the nail in the coffin. I've actually wondered the same thing about 9 but as stated it is easier to set up for 10 if you stay tight to the turtles.

Well, whatever line gets you around the track fastest is the correct line. You may have been carrying more corner speed but you actually hard to ride farther to get around that corner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True that. I'm starting to be more consistent with my times, but I'm not 100% consistent yet. So it's hard for me to judge whether taking that corner a bit wider will reduce my lap times or hurt them. More seat time is in order.

True that. I'm starting to be more consistent with my times, but I'm not 100% consistent yet. So it's hard for me to judge whether taking that corner a bit wider will reduce my lap times or hurt them. More seat time is in order.

Its hard to judge what is faster, even if you have a lap timer, its hard to say that the way you took that one turn was the reason your overall lap time was faster or slower. I was dealing with the same thing at Calabogie on the weekend, it didn't help that there wasn't really anyone for me to follow. And as everyone said, you have to consider the drive and line you get to the next corner after that one. Even if you end up taking that corner faster if it messes up your entry to then next turn it might not be the faster way around overall....

I wonder if there is some software for my lap timer that I can break the tracks up in sections or turns, to really get an idea of whats faster....

Again this all goes out the window with traffic, as the perfect line isn't always available to you in traffic

Last edited:
ya, it still handles well. just down on hp a bit from the new bikes.

I wonder if there is some software for my lap timer that I can break the tracks up in sections or turns, to really get an idea of whats faster....
Aren't there lap timers that can display your instantaneous +/- compared to your best lap? I'm sure there are, I just don't know which ones. Can work off GPS or wheel rotation sensor.

Its hard to judge what is faster, even if you have a lap timer, its hard to say that the way you took that one turn was the reason your overall lap time was faster or slower. I was dealing with the same thing at Calabogie on the weekend, it didn't help that there wasn't really anyone for me to follow. And as everyone said, you have to consider the drive and line you get to the next corner after that one. Even if you end up taking that corner faster if it messes up your entry to then next turn it might not be the faster way around overall....

Again this all goes out the window with traffic, as the perfect line isn't always available to you in traffic
Harry's laptimer

Back
Top Bottom