Wedding Party vs Train in Forks of the Credit | GTAMotorcycle.com

Wedding Party vs Train in Forks of the Credit

matthew

Site Supporter
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201..._railway_trestle_flees_approaching_train.html

wedding_party.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg

It starts off like a dream — a late summer day, a lush backdrop and a picturesque trestle bridge, where a bride and groom are posing for what will surely be memorable wedding photos, surrounded by friends and family. Then, a foreboding sound pierces the idyll — chug-a-chug-a-chug-a — followed by the sobering realization that this ain’t the love train coming round the bend.

Another, more alarming sound — choo-choo! — and now the bride and groom are retreating as fast as formal footwear will allow.

On Saturday, near Orangeville, that scenario played out when an approaching passenger train put the brakes on a newlywed couple’s photo shoot. The train’s lumbering speed prevented the story from having a tragic ending, but the crew didn’t take the incident lightly. The wedding dashers made their exit before police could arrive.

Around 3:15 p.m., the unidentified wedding party was posing for photos on a trestle bridge along the rail line between Orangeville and Brampton. The Credit Valley Explorer, a sightseeing train, was approaching the bridge at the same moment. The bridge is 350 metres long and 26 metres high at its tallest point — and does not feature an obvious escape route.

The party’s reaction to the appearance of the train was captured by Mike Davis, a local magazine publisher who was riding in the observation car. The tiny figures look like the boys in Stand by Me, if Vern and Gordie were wearing high heels.

Happily, they didn’t need to run. The Explorer moves at a crawl, the better for passengers to take in Caledon’s bucolic countryside, so it was able to stop before trundling onto the bridge.

“We were going over the bridge slowly so people could look at the vista,” said Steve Gallagher, manager of operations for the Orangeville Brampton Railway. “We had the train under control and we were able to bring it to a controlled stop.”

The freight trains that sometimes use that stretch of track, shuttling cargo between Orangeville and Brampton, might not have been able to stop so quickly, Gallagher said.

But as it was, the matrimonial party walked to safety at a leisurely pace. “There wasn’t any sort of panic that I saw,” said Davis. “They looked like they were sort of walking slowly.”

Mind you, it’s hard to run on train tracks when you’re wearing heels — with luck, these will be the last spikes to ply those rails.

When the group had cleared the bridge, they repaired to a white stretch limousine parked on an adjacent road. Members of the train crew confronted them there, and asked that the party stay and talk to police. The group declined.

“We called the police, and when we asked (the party) to stay until the police came, they left,” said Gallagher. “Understandably, our crew was very upset with the whole situation. You don’t want to see anyone get harmed or hurt.”

Freelance journalist Phil Gravelle, who was also aboard the train, said he saw “the wedding party guys kind of waving their arms around.”

He added, “It was obviously an animated exchange.”

Ontario Provincial Police later arrived at the scene, but did not respond to multiple requests for comment about whether they were pursuing the matter.

“No trespassing” signs line the tracks, Gallagher said.

It was her special day. She's entitled to stop the world.

Hint: Look at the rails. If they aren't rusted to crap they get used. Stay off.

BTW What kind of photo are you going to get at that camera / subject range? Mind stepping back a bit?

Add to Bridezilla files.

Love to see how they got down there. Signs everywhere and it's fenced with no spaces that I know of. The nearest road crossing is far from that spot. Bunch of clowns. All the train crew need is the limos plate number and the cops will figure it out from there.

Who knew there was a scenic tour train there? I didn't, but this article peaked my interest because it would be very nice I think. So I googled it and as with most things around here, it is stupidly overpriced, imo.

So they want $214.70 for my family of 4 for 3 1/2 hours???

+ Scenic Tour
Enjoy a mid-day scenic tour through the Credit Valley and Forks of the Credit from Orangeville to Snelgrove and return, with a rest stop in the village of Inglewood. Tour includes complimentary refreshments and light lunch (warm chicken skewers on a bed of rice and lettuce, with roll and dessert). Upper-level glass dome seating is available on this tour.

Monday 22 September 2014
11:00 HRS Depart Orangeville, ON (HO)
14:20 HRS Arrive PREMIUM Adult $52.50 Child $42.50
DOME (SOLD OUT)

Total Fare: $190.00
Tax (13% HST): $24.70
Total Cost: $214.70

I hiked across that bridge once in the middle of winter, it was a good time. I do remember having to walk quite a ways to reach it though... these d00ds must've jumped a fence or found a hole or something.

edit, wait nevermind, I guess thats the bridge that crosses the road... that's where my train track hike ended. I crossed this one
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/43....024,751m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

Last edited:
This is just the sort of behaviour that invites criticism. Some of it constructive, some less so.

Must be a slow news day. Sounds like there was no chance of being run over at all so the article tries to make a bigger story out of it.

They are lucky it wasn't a freight train.....they do not travel at a crawl and take a good deal of time to stop.

Yep, newlyweds were stupid but I'm sure the train organizers were more upset that they didn't pay the fee to get the view

Tracks are for trains, highways are for cars. Trespassers will learn if vehicles don't hit the brakes. As it is now, people believe it's everyone else's problem to keep them alive.

There are signs all over the place, telling people to stay off that bridge. There are enough stupid people around that locals will eventually have to build a parallel foot bridge, so that fewer idiots get punted.

They are lucky it wasn't a freight train.....they do not travel at a crawl and take a good deal of time to stop.

There was a fatal crash at a rail crossing not far north of there a few years ago, I believe it was at Beechgrove Sideroad. Same set of tracks. They wind their way from a junction with the CP main rail line in Streetsville through Brampton (where they have a side track into an industrial area) to Orangeville. Beyond there it becomes an abandoned rail trail leading through Shelburne, all the way to Owen Sound. There is not much rail traffic on that line ... perhaps little enough that people get complacent about the crossings. Many of them have no lights or crossing arms. One of my usual routes crosses one of those ... I always make sure to look above the cornfields to make sure there is no train coming.

The wedding party maybe should have gone to the rail trail instead ...

"Wedding Party" is a misnomer anyway. It should be a "Wedding Wake". Then you can snarfle wake cake. Rolls right off the tongue.

"Wedding Party" is a misnomer anyway. It should be a "Wedding Wake". Then you can snarfle wake cake. Rolls right off the tongue.
For someone in the trades you seem well "versed" in the English language

For someone in the trades you seem well "versed" in the English language

Trades have come a long way since we built the pyramids. I'm also somewhat proficient with the abacus.

Trades have come a long way since we built the pyramids. I'm also somewhat proficient with the abacus.

How about the string & bob?

Back
Top Bottom