New Rider / Excited to finally be able to ride. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Rider / Excited to finally be able to ride.

Yes this is exactly what mine looks like. So when the bike stalled I had it to the open position (opposite of your pic) when I started the bike up and when I was driving it.

Do you think this is why it stalled?

Like i said, this is the running position and the position your choke should be at when the bike at its operating temp (hot). Never leave the choke closed/on (opposite of my pic) as it will run so rich itll foul your plugs and stall.

The position on that pic is open/off. The reason being called open off is because the butterfly flaps inside is allowing air in. Hence open. The close position will allow less air and more fuel to go through the "venturi funnel" which goes to your engine for start up. Hence choke closed and why i thought you were running rich

Yes this is exactly what mine looks like. So when the bike stalled I had it to the open position (opposite of your pic) when I started the bike up and when I was driving it.

Do you think this is why it stalled?

Yeah if you leave the choke on engaged while riding the bike will be running rich which means too much fuel and not a proper fuel to air ratio.. You are suppose to disengage the choke once the bike is warmed up...

If you have to leave the choke in because your bike won't run without it then ran your jets and if that don't work get bigger jets in..

Just wait for some one verify this first..

"If i was educated, I'd be a damn fool"

Thanks for all the info guys. Today I'll try riding with the choke in the opposite direction of what I had and see if I have trouble with it stalling in the idle position.

Thanks again.

If u ever have probs with the bike shoot me a pm. I own one and can pretty much help with most issues from carb overhaul, engine rebuild, electricals, etc.

If u ever have probs with the bike shoot me a pm. I own one and can pretty much help with most issues from carb overhaul, engine rebuild, electricals, etc.

Thanks, you may hear from me!

So riding yesterday went much better. I started the bike up with the choke fully open then once the bike was warmed up I closed it and went out. Not one stall which was great. I also played with the idle screw which may have helped although I think I may have turned it to tight now, When I sit in idle the engine seems to be working really hard and it's quite loud. I only have one gauge that shows what speed I'm going, not the rpm's so I don't know if in reality it is working to hard in idle or not.

I started the bike up with the choke fully open then once the bike was warmed up I closed it...

You've got the terms backwards.

When starting the bike from cold, you turn the choke on or close it. Once up to operating temperature, the choke is turned off, or opened.

Glad to hear it's running better.

You've got the terms backwards.

When starting the bike from cold, you turn the choke on or close it. Once up to operating temperature, the choke is turned off, or opened.

Glad to hear it's running better.

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

Thanks, you may hear from me!

So riding yesterday went much better. I started the bike up with the choke fully open then once the bike was warmed up I closed it and went out. Not one stall which was great. I also played with the idle screw which may have helped although I think I may have turned it to tight now, When I sit in idle the engine seems to be working really hard and it's quite loud. I only have one gauge that shows what speed I'm going, not the rpm's so I don't know if in reality it is working to hard in idle or not.

Glad its working out.

Ok next major issue. Was driving the bike today and it just died on me. Opened the left side cover and it looks like the 15amp fuse blew. Thats's the very right fuse of the 3 fuses that were there. Walked to a hardware store and picked up a few more fuses just in case it died again. Placed one in and the bike started fine. Got about 50ft and it blew again. 2nd fuse got me a bit further and 3rd one got me about half way home before I have to call CAA and have the bike towed home. What a day! I feel like I've had horrible luck with this bike - only had it 2 weeks and already I've had to replace the battery and now this.

Anyone have any idea what this may be?

Ok next major issue. Was driving the bike today and it just died on me. Opened the left side cover and it looks like the 15amp fuse blew. Thats's the very right fuse of the 3 fuses that were there. Walked to a hardware store and picked up a few more fuses just in case it died again. Placed one in and the bike started fine. Got about 50ft and it blew again. 2nd fuse got me a bit further and 3rd one got me about half way home before I have to call CAA and have the bike towed home. What a day! I feel like I've had horrible luck with this bike - only had it 2 weeks and already I've had to replace the battery and now this.

Anyone have any idea what this may be?

Posted on your other thread. Dude dont lose hope. These bikes are a thing of beauty. Thank and pat yourself on the back for taking the effort to fix her up. Sooner or later youll be an expert and know the bike inside out. Lol.

Ya thanks it's just so frustrating as all I want to do is ride.

Sadly, you bought the wrong bike for that. You bought a bike that will be cool and different when it's working, but you need to expect some downtime. If you want a bike that starts every time and rarely causes problems, stick with something like a late model ex500 or ninja/cbr 250.

Sadly, you bought the wrong bike for that. You bought a bike that will be cool and different when it's working, but you need to expect some downtime. If you want a bike that starts every time and rarely causes problems, stick with something like a late model ex500 or ninja/cbr 250.

No no. The mechanic did a terrible job. An old bike can run better than a new bike if its maintained well. People always blame the bike.

I have to agree with Jimsun and call BS on GreyGhost. Purchased my 1980 CB750K in late August. It was running rough with a cold #2 cylinder, idle was iffy at best. I followed my late uncle's(mechanic) advice "runs well then looks good". Had the carbs cleaned and set, and a general tune up and safetied by a wrench in Barrie(Duffield Power Sports) who knows older bikes. I have since put 3500k's on the bike, never a stall, never a hiccup, smooth acceleration at all times and the smoothest shifting I've ever experienced. It bolts like a scalded cat when I really let the revs pile up. The best part is the look I get from other riders, having trouble getting their "new" bikes started in this colder weather, when I walk up to mine set the old choke just so, start it up(first try every time) and ride away. The point, other than bragging about my bike, is that these "old" bikes, when properly tuned, will run great and stay running that way with fairly simple maintenance that is easy to learn if you have basic mechanical skills.
Don't blame the bike, get'er tuned up by someone who knows old bikes and go ride!!

Back
Top Bottom