New Rider / Excited to finally be able to ride. | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Rider / Excited to finally be able to ride.

Kyle_Bleiman

So I finally got my bike dropped off yesterday. I had a guy in Chatham Ontario (smyth innovations) take a 77 cb550f and transform it into a more modern brat style bike. Took 2 months and although the process was fun I was dyeing to start riding. Man am I happy with how it turned out. Went to turn it on today and the battery was dead - go figure. Installed a new battery and finally got to take my first ride. Other than the 2 days spent taking the safety course I have zero experience with bikes and that course was taken over 2 months ago. Mostly drove through alleyways and along dundas for a bit but man was it ever fun.

Figured I'd introduce myself and see if there are any riders downtown (I'm by the drake hotel) that are interested in meeting and riding.

welcome

Welcome. Sounds like a great bike! Any pics?

Welcome and like Gsus said, any pics? Sounds like a cool bike!

Ride Safe
04' VStar 650 Classic
Mustang seat, cobra exhaust, Silverado windscreen, more to come!

Thanks for the welcome guys.

So second day of riding and unfortunately I got stuck in rush-hour traffic on queen street. Bike stalls and over she goes. First drop and I've only had the bike 2 days. No damage to the bike but I pulled my left hamstring trying to keep the thing from falling. Pretty shaken up actually as there were a million cars and people watching. Bike wouldn't start right after so I had to walk it to the side of the street and get my mind sorted.

Stunning bike. Maybe practicing on side streets and empty parking lots will help keep it that way and repair your confidence in the process. Go over the drills you did in your riders ed course.

Beautiful bike. Now if only i knew one more 550four owner to join us... If ever u need help with the bike mech/electricals. Pm me. I own one and im confident that i can answer most i problems with the bike.

Bike looks awesome!
Good to hear that you're okay, and the bike is too.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Quick question. On the day I dropped the bike I noticed all 3 stalls were when I was trying to slow down and coming to a stop. It was like the bike would putter then eventually just shut-off.

Any advice as to why this may be happening? The guy who built the bike said until the carbs were jetted I should be driving with the choke pretty much all the way open. Could this be causing the issue?

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Quick question. On the day I dropped the bike I noticed all 3 stalls were when I was trying to slow down and coming to a stop. It was like the bike would putter then eventually just shut-off.

Any advice as to why this may be happening? The guy who built the bike said until the carbs were jetted I should be driving with the choke pretty much all the way open. Could this be causing the issue?

Firstly,, GREAT F'ING BIKE

I had a cb200 1972. With these bikes. There is always this and that going on. You gotta enjoy the personality of the bike. In all honesty these types of bikes are not ideal beginner bikes as you do as much tinkering as riding. So it does take away from riding time..

When you come off the gas your idle jet probably is not giving enough fuel and shutting off the motor.. Buy the bigger size idle jet. You can install
It yourself or get some one from here to do it.. I am far from being an expert I have successfully rejetted 3 bikes... I can pop buy downtown if you have a well
Lit work place and help you out if you like.

"If i was educated, I'd be a damn fool"

Sounds like a really rich conition. Ride the bike for 10 mins or until operating temp is reached. Then hit 5krpm and quickly grab the clutch, kill switch and stop. Check each plug to see the condition. They should be some bronze/light brown on the tips. Post pics here and well see. By open choke you mean its fully pulled?

Open choke meaning it's the opposite of what it is when the bike is off. I turn it so it's fully open which I assume means fully pulled?

Well. It depends with carbs you have but it being the f model 77 u have the later carbs which is the 069a. I assume its like mine as the pd carbs came with the accelerated mechanism.

Here is a picture of the flap. It should be in this position (adjacent to the ground) when its off and during its running condition. The only time itll move parallel to the ground is during start up and warm up.

ve8yju3a.jpg

Yes this is exactly what mine looks like. So when the bike stalled I had it to the open position (opposite of your pic) when I started the bike up and when I was driving it.

Do you think this is why it stalled?

Back
Top Bottom