is a traffic cop's first priority is to render aid to victim, or pursue perpetrator? | GTAMotorcycle.com

is a traffic cop's first priority is to render aid to victim, or pursue perpetrator?

motoride777

say a traffic cop is waiting at side street to bust people rolling through stop signs. then this car comes just blows right through this stop sign, runs over a pedestrian and drives away.

is the cop supposed to check on the victim? but if he does, the driver might get away.
but if the cop chases the driver, the victim might die. even if cop calls backup/ambulances, it will take awhile. the cop is the only person at the scene. no one else is around to help.

what does the cop do?

The cop (and you, and me, and everyone else in our society) have an ethic responsibility to preserve and protect human life first.

In this case, bringing the guy to justice is clearly the second priority.

Why do you ask?

Are you the cop in that case?

I hope you are not the driver...

it's just a hypothetical question.

but i guess if the cop asks the victim if he/she is ok. and the victim replies. then it's alright for the cop to pursue?

it's just a hypothetical question.

but i guess if the cop asks the victim if he/she is ok. and the victim replies. then it's alright for the cop to pursue?
Cop stays with the victim and calls another unit to pursue the suspect.
Even if the victim says they're fine, if the cop leaves and they die it's a HUGE deal.

Edit: I know cops who have driven drunks home because if they walk out into traffic and get hit and the cop was the last person that they had contact with it can come back on them. It's all about liability.

Make mental notes of offending vehicle, : make, model, colour, plate, occupants and direction headed. Call/radio in incident requesting support all while tending to the injured. Will also need to make mental notes regarding time/weather/road conditions/any other witnesses? all will or should be included in report that follows.

Just guessing....

Out of curiosity what if there's two people at the scene? A cop and a witness? Would one stay and the coo go chase the perp or would both stay?

My ears were burning... Interesting question though. As a human being, first aid is the priority. It's hard for a copper to turn off the 'gotta chase it' instinct. I wouldn't be surprised if that scenario were to actually happen to three cops, you would have three different outcomes. Now if the pedestrian was obviously deceased I think the chase would be on like donkey kong.

Bike Cop,

I was wondering if there is a mandate to aid a victim seeing as you are a first responder, until firefighters/paramedics arrive?

No more than any other person. We have stopped putting first aid crests on our jackets, and are not specially trained to handle serious trauma. But, I would bet there would be serious repercussions if we didn't offer assistance. And the reality is, the pursuit would be called off anyway because of danger to the public.

No more than any other person. We have stopped putting first aid crests on our jackets, and are not specially trained to handle serious trauma. But, I would bet there would be serious repercussions if we didn't offer assistance. And the reality is, the pursuit would be called off anyway because of danger to the public.

In Quebec. First responders have a legal duty to stop its under their good samaritan law. But i don't know how they would know so it seems like a pretty unenforceable law

In Quebec. First responders have a legal duty to stop its under their good samaritan law. But i don't know how they would know so it seems like a pretty unenforceable law

It would be hard to enforce that. In most circumstances, most wont wear their uniform to or from their work so they cant be relieved of their employment if caught.

Back
Top Bottom