great price on a scott touring jacket | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

great price on a scott touring jacket

So its just GST for US sourced Motorcycle gear? (Plus whatever brokerage the delivery service charges?)

For the purposes of duty, I think they're more interested in where an item is manufactured, rather than which country it was purchased from.

Took a while but they responded in a good way
- I'm going for a size up on the same jacket and maybe give other to son or flip it here.
Option is to send it back as well but I pay shipping - not a big deal.

If it fits the kid tho might keep it as he rides a good part of the winter and it's touted as a 4 season jacket.

I've never had a problem selling my gear for what I paid plus shipping/duties when this kind of thing happens.

So are you saying the jacket is a Euro size? Go one size up? I'm an L in most jackets so get XL for instance?

Yeah - I might but it fits the kid okay - thos not generous as well tho a $300 jacket is a bit over the top.
I went up a size from the JR but still tight around the waist which is too round anyways but not a chance with the liner in

I can likely flip it....they don't respond quickly which is annoying.

Ordered the next size up which is $30 more - we'll see....gee samie jackets with my kid :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Second jacket came in today - fits a treat. looks bulky but feels light. Can someone tell me how the Gortex layer works to keep the rider dry?
Can I assume it waterproofs the outer layer of the Jacket and that the liner is not needed?

Thanks. Got nicked for the new jacket on customs so blended cost on the two is not quite as good but there is a problem with the first jacket that the liner is way small ( like hilarious ) despite being marked correctly.

With gortex the membrane is your waterproof barrier. No liner required. Your liner is just thermal I'm guessing. Note that the membrane is not the exterior of the jacket, it's usually bonded to the outside layer. Often a grey coloured smooth material you can see from inside the jacket usually. If you treat the outside of the jacket with a spray on coating ever (usually not necessary for a long time) make sure it is gortex compatible or you'll lose the breathability. It will still stay waterproof though. The wrong treatment will clog the pores of the membrane and not allow hot sweaty water vapour out.

Okay - I wonder why Scott lists the jacket as water resistant not water proof

So am I to understand I still need a rain jacket??

MacDoc, I see it listed as waterproof, not just resistant. From the material description: "GORE-TEX® membrane, windproof, breathable and waterproof".
I pulled the trigger and purchased one. Got a size larger than usual. For reference i'm 6', 175 lbs and wear 32" jeans and got the large. Will give my impressions when I receive it.

Staff paid it and I don't see the receipt around...it was over $400 total tho.
Happy with the jacket ...now just need to get some time to use it....busy week.

Okay - I wonder why Scott lists the jacket as water resistant not water proof

So am I to understand I still need a rain jacket??

Gortex is the best you can get.. if its real gortex. (google to learn about the tech). After getting gortex lined light hiker shoes a few years ago I know they work. I try to buy gortex when I can afford it.. My Riding boots are Gortex and break well in the heat of summer. I know theyre waterproof from the rains over the years. I have several snowbaord jackets and gloves which are gortex.

Gortex is the best you can get.. if its real gortex. (google to learn about the tech). After getting gortex lined light hiker shoes a few years ago I know they work. I try to buy gortex when I can afford it.. My Riding boots are Gortex and break well in the heat of summer. I know theyre waterproof from the rains over the years. I have several snowbaord jackets and gloves which are gortex.

So which are real goretex jackets?

"If i was educated, I'd be a damn fool"

The Scott are....part of the premium price.

I wear Gortex hunting boots riding and they are waterproof and with no insulation very comfortable in heat ( I wear them in Australia where you can figure rain every day and then you get dry. Intense showers). Nice to be able to count on dry feet.
That last ride to VA it was 3 hours of misery 8-10 degrees and pretty hard rain...but my feet stayed dry.

Can anyone answer why just water resistant???

The outer material is likely water resistant, the membrane is waterproof. In summary, your jacket is waterproof but after a while the DWR coating on the outer material will likely wear off and you'll need to reapply it. Even if you don't the jacket will still be waterproof but the outer material could wet through.

Okay - that's what I figured...was the case. Thanks.
I like having the waterproof Icon on for viz in rain anyway and the Scott will be fine for all but steady downpours.
Might need a size up on the iCon tho as it's snug over the JR mesh and the Scott is bulkier.

The jacket itself says guaranteed to keep you dry so that's a plus.

Gonna do some local riding see how it does with cold ....since we gots cold.

Last edited:
You shouldn't need your Icon jacket with the Scott Goretex in any weather. That's the beauty of these jackets. My MEC Goretex is years old and totally waterproof still.

Back
Top Bottom