First Aid | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

First Aid

I'd like quick clot for the home. I haven't done anything stupid with a sharp object since my 20's but good to have.

Do any of you guys carry pain killers in your kit?

None of my first aid kits have pain killers and I don't carry them, but I was riding with a guy in Newfoundland who got his doctor to prescribe him percocets in case he came off his bike -- especially when in the back roads/trails where it might take awhile for SPOT to send out emergency help.

Can I get my Ontario doctor to prescribe synthetic heroin "just in case"?

None of my first aid kits have pain killers and I don't carry them, but I was riding with a guy in Newfoundland who got his doctor to prescribe him percocets in case he came off his bike -- especially when in the back roads/trails where it might take awhile for SPOT to send out emergency help.

Huge liability outcome with giving someone pain killers even such things as tylenol/advil/aspirin.

Huge liability outcome with giving someone pain killers even such things as tylenol/advil/aspirin.

I don't mean to give to other people, I mean to take myself when I am sitting there with a broken arm and gravel embedded in my leg.

I don't mean to give to other people, I mean to take myself when I am sitting there with a broken arm and gravel embedded in my leg.

Broken arm AND gravel in your leg? I'd say that's end of the line... might as well suicide.

Broken arm AND gravel in your leg? I'd say that's end of the line... might as well suicide.

What do you recommend for suicide pills? What did the japs carry in WW2? Cyanide?

I recommend a Glock 21 with 1 JHP round chambered at all times.

I recommend a Glock 21 with 1 JHP round chambered at all times.

Holstered on my right side it might prevent the road rash if I fall to the right, in which case I wouldn't need to consider suicide anymore. You might be on to something.

Take nothing. It will be easier to treat when you arrive at the hospital and need further medical attention.

Same with water .. everyone just jumps to help people by giving them water. Its a no-no ..

What do you recommend for suicide pills? What did the japs carry in WW2? Cyanide?
Katana sword
Rifle in mouth pulled by their toe

That's a lot of extra effort for what? Just push it with the toe already.
Its customary. They think its noble.

Its customary. They think its noble.

I think you misunderstood. Think about the contortions involved with pulling the trigger with toe while barrel is in mouth. Easier to push with toe.

We talking about a kit for a bike?

Cause what does into it is going to dependant on space.

I think with a kit for your bikes you going to want to go simple. Realistically don't want to waste your time treating none life threatening stuff.

So i would go a resuscitation shield a few paris of nitrile gloves. Triangular bandaged and Gauss to stop bleeding. Israeli battle dressing if you have the room. Possibly again if you have the room a none stick dressing for burns.
Also some bandaids for small cuts for yourself are always great to have on hand.

Quick clot is great for wilderness but I would not advise using it for a road side emergency it could complicate surgeries later as they need to clean the wound out.

For a small pack on a bike that's a decent list. You can use an Israeli as a tourniquet, wrap it around the limb over itself and then use the plastic clip as a crank handle.
There is a better version of that bandage called the OLAES (sp?) that contains a little bit of plastic that you take out to use for other uses, and the tail of the bandage is velcroed every 6" or so, so that in the stress of the moment you don't let the tail unravel which makes it even harder to deal with the wound.

Quickclot powder is old news. We now have a bandage (made by the same company) that is impregnated with coagulant. You open the package, and pull the bandage from the middle of the roll (sort of like a mini roll of TP) and pack the wound, hold for 3-5 min and the bleed should be stopped.
This stuff doesn't burn like the powder does, and when they go for surgery the surgeon won't be removing the extra inch of burned tissue.
The powder can easily complicate things, as anything wet makes it burn, so ripping a pack open in the wind can burn eyes, sweat covered skin and untrained pers are likely to misuse it.

My pack in my truck has a lot of things in it that I wouldn't Suggest to people not trained. I have the ability to decompress lungs, a chricothyrotemy kit, tourniquets, burn dressings, a few different styles of bandages, non occlusive dressings etc etc... Basically ready for a very bad day on the side of the road. Some of this would get me in **** for using it here, but if help isn't close and someone needs a needle in the chest so they can breathe, I wouldn't hesitate to stab them.

My small kit focuses on being able to stop one major bleed, airway and some smaller stuff.

Its very easy to over pack when it comes to these things. I learned quick what I need and what I don't on my tour, considering I was a dismounted medic in the summer time in Afghanistan heat, I paid close attention to make sure I didnt carry more than I needed. Pack on average was 30lbs for a day patrol. (always planned to get stuck with wounded for a 12 hour period at least).

The important thing is training and thinking on your feet. Sometimes you have to hurt people to save them.

Dont take anything. Suck it up buttercup (not directed at you, just a general shout out).
How will the medics/doc know if your altered state is due to blood loss, head injury or because you took something?
It can also mess with any drugs they end up giving you.

I generally don't take pain meds as I find when I need them I'm really in pain and basically need to over Medicate to find relief. (broke collarbone racing mx this year, finished the race, packed the trailer drove myself to the hospital and the only time I took anything was after they put the plate in). Tylenol/ibuprofen etc is ok when you have some aches and pain but it gonna do SFA when it comes to being really hurt.

I cary only a light pain killer on the road for comfort purposes (also allergy meds and some anti diarrhea) just little stuff to get me thought. If i get a head ache or something like that but like others have mentioned its not to be given to anyone for first aid purposes. Im even hesitant sharing drugs with people I don't know and obviously nothing ever that was prescribed!

Last edited:
For a small pack on a bike that's a decent list. You can use an Israeli as a tourniquet, wrap it around the limb over itself and then use the plastic clip as a crank handle.
There is a better version of that bandage called the OLAES (sp?) that contains a little bit of plastic that you take out to use for other uses, and the tail of the bandage is velcroed every 6" or so, so that in the stress of the moment you don't let the tail unravel which makes it even harder to deal with the wound.

Yea one of these would go along way for a tiny kit! These things are wicked..But i this the Israeli would be better for someone with less training. I need to read up on these things.

https://www.tacmedsolutions.com/product/olaes-modular-bandage/

As for the quick clot in my stream of First aid we were never taught to use it. I assume that was for liability reasons but I have not been active for the last 2 years now so who knows whats changed.

Last edited:
Kit I keep in a plastic bag under the cowl. Gauze, gloves, alcohol swabs, tourniquet, tape, CPR mask, and a dinky little knife.

1PjSU0U.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom