First Aid | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

First Aid

Kit I keep in a plastic bag under the cowl. Gauze, gloves, alcohol swabs, tourniquet, tape, CPR mask, and a dinky little knife.

1PjSU0U.jpg

You have specific training on how to use a Tourniquet right? Its not a simple as just tying it around the limb.

+1 .. we no longer carry them, so your medical training better be extensive.

We learned as a curiosity from one of the guys who had been around for a while. Not part of Standard SJA training. Again tho for times if you are isolated such as wilderness and being out of boat if you know how to use it they can have their place. If you know how to use them. Lots and I mean lots of complications can arise from their usage. If your aren't trained properly and you use it on someone else you might not be covered under the good Samaritan laws since it might not be considered a reasonable act.

yes i am a paramedic student, tourniquets are for bleeds which cannot be controlled with use of direct pressure/pressure points. could literally save a life in the case of an amputation or arterial bleed.

I think the bottom line from all these stories is to pack only the stuff you know how to use safely, plus a phone. As always, the tools don't make the man.

Though if you want to carry around an 800 ppi octo-core 6" phablet with 3D video capture and free calls to Mars, then that can never hurt.

yes i am a paramedic student, tourniquets are for bleeds which cannot be controlled with use of direct pressure/pressure points. could literally save a life in the case of an amputation or arterial bleed.

Your a student, and not with a service.

You still fall under the good samaritan act, and using a tourniquet falls out of that scope.

What about an improvised tourniquet? I don't know anything about first aid but I'd be tempted to improvise one for a badly bleeding wound that couldn't be stopped with direct pressure... Liability be damned?

Your a student, and not with a service.

You still fall under the good samaritan act, and using a tourniquet falls out of that scope.

I'm AMFR I certified which does cover tourniquet use. Also the Good Samaritan act is interpretive and tourniquet application certainly is not a controlled medical act.

Take a course at least.

The stuff ive seen people doing while we roll up at a call, and they say " I know first aid ". Yeeahh great, stand over there please cuz i think you did more damage than good.

Watching a rider wrap himself a guard rail and suffering serious injuries in rural Pennsylvania, i knew my basic SJC skills wouldn't be of no help. No cell phone reception, the only good thing i could do was try flag down the next motorist that i saw on the lonely road. Luckily it was a retired nurse who by a stroke of luck had taken the wrong turn and had ended up on that road.

When I did my last WFR recertification the use of a tourniquet was still a tough topic. The damage they can do if improperly applied and not continuously monitored makes them a big risk. The final thinking was you could use one, but only as a last resort. WELL AIMED direct pressure should do the job in most instances, especially in an urban setting.

All I carry is a resuscitation mask with a couple of pairs of gloves packed with. In the city, anything that needs treating beyond that is probably not even gonna be properly assessed before Advanced First Aid (Paramedics) arrives.

First aid protocols constantly change. Take a course, and keep it up to date.

Back
Top Bottom