First Aid | GTAMotorcycle.com

First Aid

inreb

Site Supporter
What are the basic do's and don'ts any neophyte should know?

You want someone to give you a first aid course via text?

Even if you take a 2 day course it only gives you the basics. I've had St. John Ambulance Level A CPR/AED and Wilderness First Aid, both 2 day courses, and still feel like I would have no idea what I'm doing if I had to save someone.

The biggest thing they stress is to get someone to call 911 ASAP.

The biggest thing they stress is to get someone to call 911 ASAP.

Thats all basic first AID is. You arn't expected to diagnose or treat. Stop bleeds, Recognize signs and symptoms of trouble and get help.

Honestly other than learning specific techniques most of it fairly obvious that people will know to do anyway. Even just taking a CPR course will put you in a better position to assist that most. I was in ST johns since i was 10. I was MFR certified for the last 8 or so years and it was still all pretty basic with the stress being on getting professional help. You just have more toys to play with until they get there.

Last edited:
You want someone to give you a first aid course via text?

Not me personally. Thought it might be an eye opening discussion for the neophyte. A lot of people aren't rushing out to First Aid courses and are not exposed at work. In construction, I am, but it's not always about me.

This could become a lethal thread very quickly, with the amount of general GTAM wisdom and freedom of posting anything here ...

This could become a lethal thread very quickly, with the amount of general GTAM wisdom and freedom of posting anything here ...
Immediately twist the neck back and forth to confirm full range of motion.

I was just thinking that myself.....

Anyone interested should take a course or get a book! Don't want to do that or if you feel you don't know what your doing stay back call for help!

Last edited:
Take a First Aid course. What seems to be common sense isn't always right. The course at least points you in the right direction. I did it at work, but haven't re-certified in a while.

Take a course at least.

The stuff ive seen people doing while we roll up at a call, and they say " I know first aid ". Yeeahh great, stand over there please cuz i think you did more damage than good.

Let's be serious if you know nothing else do not try to move the person unless they are in physical danger in the location they currently are in. Do not remove the helmet unless a qualified person has determined they are not breathing and require CPR. Call 911 and monitor the person for any changes until help or a more qualified person is on scene. Even if they think they are okay have them stay still and not move until checked out. Adrenaline hides injuries and they may make things worse if they try to move.

Take a first aid course!!!!!

If it's squawking loudly and flapping its wings in a strange way hit it with a brick. That might refer to something else though.

You're gonna love the first post in this thread then.....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1008641

This guy seemed on the ball, right up until he left before professional medical help appeared. He goes to great lengths to point out how useless everyone else was, then leaves, with the predictable result.
I have my first aid/CPR/AED certification and have taken the course three times through work. Two things were always stressed: call 911 and wait until they arrive. If you can provide more than that, great, but those two are a must.

Back
Top Bottom