First Aid | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

First Aid

What are the basic do's and don'ts any neophyte should know?

Obviously an emergency tracheotomy using a pocket knife and barrel from a pen is the first thing to learn...d'uh!

Take the St. John's Lifesaver Course. It only takes a day and you learn an awful lot about 1st aid. You can often get it for free.

You're gonna love the first post in this thread then.....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1008641

Lollzzz.

I just read the first post ..

Its always the way, people standing around not knowing what to do or afraid to jump in.

2 good ones come to mind, though i have LOTS of stories.

1. Fatal accident between dump truck and toyota corolla on my way to work. Everyone standing around at the car, looking at the guy. I walked up in uniform, and what does someone do .. hands me his wallet! lol.
2. Bike accident a bunch of GTAM'ers were at .. guy T bones a car. Some dude identifies himself as a cop, and starts going off on everyone. Hes yelling at the injured rider, and telling us all were getting tickets.
Not being impressed of his actions, I identify myself. He gets in my face as im helping out the fallen rider. I tell him to back the **** off, and tell him to stick around afterwards as im going to knock him the **** out.
Funny enough, after police/ambulance arrived this guy was long gone.

Another thing is how common it is now, for people in accidents to have their personel belongings stolen while waiting for help. Purses, wallets, electronic gadgets etc ..

I took a week long course before deployment to Afganistan. Basics are the same. Call for help. Try to slow heavy bleeding. And defend the downed person from any other threat.

I took a week long course before deployment to Afganistan. Basics are the same. Call for help. Try to slow heavy bleeding. And defend the downed person from any other threat.

Call in a drone strike to take out armour and enemy possessions. You know the basics :p

But you are correct if its Cub scout level first aid or Army emergency medicine basics are all the same.

Last edited:
First - Establish if you care.

Second - where is my sammich?

You're gonna love the first post in this thread then.....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1008641

Cutting to the gist

"Right before we got back to the scene to tell them help was on the way, they left with the rider tied to the motorcycle to take him to the hospital. According to the bystanders there, one of the guys talked to the downed rider about how expensive ambulances were, convinced him "YER TOUGH, YOU DON'T NEED AN AMBULANCE" then had another rider help lift him onto his bike, tied him to the sissy bar, and rode down to take him to the hospital."

A buddy got wrecked a few weeks ago on a US trip with his wife. Broken ribs and wrist for him but wife was riding back a bit and able to stop. He's in the hospital and the insurance contact suggests he rides back home (5-6 hours) on the back of his wife's bike.

2 days is a good start, but isn't really enough. I could write pages, and some of it contradicts itself, so to really educate over a forum isn't easy.
We gave a Tactical Care course (possibly what gsxr guy took) to non medical pers before deployment, and those guys were great to have.

Once you have the training, ensure you have at least a basic kit. I have a bag in my truck set up well enough that if I came up on an accident with pretty serious injuries I could do some good... Its more than just packing and bandaides.

Any recommendations? specific stuff you'd add to a basic kit?

Whats your thought on blood coagulation pads, like Quikclot?

2 days is a good start, but isn't really enough. I could write pages, and some of it contradicts itself, so to really educate over a forum isn't easy.
We gave a Tactical Care course (possibly what gsxr guy took) to non medical pers before deployment, and those guys were great to have.

Once you have the training, ensure you have at least a basic kit. I have a bag in my truck set up well enough that if I came up on an accident with pretty serious injuries I could do some good... Its more than just packing and bandaides.

Any recommendations? specific stuff you'd add to a basic kit?

Whats your thought on blood coagulation pads, like Quikclot?

I should get some of that. I remember when young my mom had a coagulation kit good enough for gunshot wounds. Clearly says so, lol.

Pretty useful while growing up slicing my fingers & stuff

Sent from my tablet using my paws

We talking about a kit for a bike?

Cause what does into it is going to dependant on space.

I think with a kit for your bikes you going to want to go simple. Realistically don't want to waste your time treating none life threatening stuff.

So i would go a resuscitation shield a few paris of nitrile gloves. Triangular bandaged and Gauss to stop bleeding. Israeli battle dressing if you have the room. Possibly again if you have the room a none stick dressing for burns.
Also some bandaids for small cuts for yourself are always great to have on hand.

Quick clot is great for wilderness but I would not advise using it for a road side emergency it could complicate surgeries later as they need to clean the wound out.

Last edited:
I think they are talking about a kit for your vehicle .. even so .. where does it stop? Quikclot ? AED? Full trauma kit ???

I can also imagine people throwing Quickclot into a sucking chest wound.

Oh I agree i used to carry my trauma kit in my car but I had the training it was also more for connivence since i spent so much time covering events when i was younger. For most people a basic of the shelf car kit is all you need.

http://www.shopsja.ca/Vehicle-Kit-_p_20.html

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom