workout machine weght... | GTAMotorcycle.com

workout machine weght...

motoride777

hi so at my gym there's this leg machine. but on the machine it says something like... if the weight of the plates is 385lbs, your legs are actually pushing 500lbs. how does this work? somehow 385lb plates weight 500lbs?

Eagle_LegPress-resized-600.jpg

Probably because they weights are being pulled straight up, rather then pushed on an incline on a real leg press machine

In other words, don't use that girly machine

I find those machines uncomfortable. In the end I would say squats are better for a leg workout but the press machine it just feels better. That and I find you're able to press more this way.
gyheruda.jpg

They could be using mechanical advantage (ie, you lift 385 lbs 3.25' instead of 500 lbs 2.5'). In each case you would be doing the same amount of "work" (weight times change in height).

Not sure of the weight calculation. GreyGhost might be right. But I'm with Roomie with this one. Either do squat or leg press.

Squats might be a tad difficult at first if you've never done them before. Might want to work on doing some stretches before to get full range of motion. Also, bring a towel as you might need this to help pad your back. Some people don't mind it and others want a pad. The pad that your gym might have could be from when Arnold was in his prime.

If you haven't done squats before, watch a few people in the gym and get an idea of what should be done. DO NOT WATCH CROSS FIT VIDEOS FOR TIPS! Unless you have a sweet medical plan. A rounded back will not help you at all.

Those machines are funny.. look at the size and complexity ($$$) of that gargantuan piece of **** just to protect weenies from doing squats.

if the weight of the plates is 385lbs, your legs are actually pushing 500lbs.

It may be due to the fact that, when there is 0lbs loaded via plates, there is still initial weight of the compartments.

It's like doing a bench press with 2x45lbs plates. Total weight is 2x45lbs + the weight of the bar.

Why is that a here we go? It's true information. To learn squats properly one should have a belt as minimum or a suit ideally and learn box squats. A curved back doing squats is just asking for trouble. That is a fact not just people's opinions

Why is that a here we go? It's true information. To learn squats properly one should have a belt as minimum or a suit ideally and learn box squats. A curved back doing squats is just asking for trouble. That is a fact not just people's opinions

Belt as a minimum? Suit? What kind of suit?
The belt is there just so that the abdominal wall has something to press against when it stabilizes the spine during the movement, it's nice to have but hardly a necessity.
I agree about the curved back, but what does that have to do with Crossfit? Is curved back preached by Crossfit?

3ezeta3a.jpg

Note the belt and her knees. While that's a lot of weight her back is arched. For a noob that could really hurt. I would never recommend anyone to learn that way. You need a wild base strength to start lifting like that which doesn't happen by just recreationally going to the gym.

This is gtam though. I'm sure someone can argue that I'm wrong. There's experts here about everything. (Not a shot at you alex)

how about you don't bother with these silly *** machines.

I say work on your mobility, start light and work on your mechanics. Then start loading the weight progressively. For legs, back/front squats and single leg variations are the only way to go.

And Crossfit. lol. That's a whole 'nother thread.

Well put. Anyone starting out should consider a personal trainer even for a short while to learn the mechanics and some basic ideas of how to start in the direction you want to go.

Yes, lets leave Crossfit out of it.
Good suggestions here. Ditch that machine, forget it exists. Any strength machine, for that matter.

I'm not anti machine. It just depends on your goals I think. This is why I say personal trainer. They know how to teach you and help you get there. Free weights are always a preferred with a lot of the gym crowd but you'll see more and more machined filled gyms these days. I guess some of us are still in the old way of mechanics and free weights over machines or gimmick fitness programs. :dontknow:

Machines limit your motion to one plane. You don't use stabilizers muscles and that is not good. Yes, you isolate muscles, but what did you achieve by doing so? You're not building functional strength.
This topic had been beaten to death.
OP, squats, lunges and deadlifts are the way to build lower body strength. Those machines are for gym bunnies (male or female).

I'm not anti machine. It just depends on your goals I think. This is why I say personal trainer. They know how to teach you and help you get there. Free weights are always a preferred with a lot of the gym crowd but you'll see more and more machined filled gyms these days. I guess some of us are still in the old way of mechanics and free weights over machines or gimmick fitness programs. :dontknow:

Machines are pretty lame. But, I guess they have their place for accessory lifts after your main lifts.

I'm up in the air with regards to PT's. I've seen plenty of trainers who have no business telling people how to workout. Poor people getting hosed 80 bucks per session.

hi so at my gym there's this leg machine. but on the machine it says something like... if the weight of the plates is 385lbs, your legs are actually pushing 500lbs. how does this work? somehow 385lb plates weight 500lbs?

Eagle_LegPress-resized-600.jpg

When it comes to machines, the pulley system has a lot to do with how heavy the actual weight feels. The more lines and wheels, the easier it is to lift the actual weight. I don't quite know why they would calibrate a machine the way you are describing but my best guesses are that it either has something to do with added tension/friction from the machine itself and/or the extra weight is coming from the bench seat you are sitting on. If you took out the pin on the stack so as to do no weight, Im guessing the seat would not glide along and feel weightless.

Squats are my favorite exercise but I think its a little short-sighted and ignorant to be bashing on machines. If you understand how to train with intensity, you can get a great workout regardless. Some machines are pure garbage as they are poorly designed but some are pretty decent. There are times when the use of such machines have been beneficial to me when recovering from back & shoulder injury issues. With everything in the gym, you gotta look at the risk/reward ratio. Some of the best, most highly heralded exercises also put you at higher risk of injury and so that's the trade off...

And the comment about a belt being an absolute must for squats. That's nonsense. If you understand the concept of blocking, you can do that to adequately support your spine. I personally use a belt as well but its not a necessity. On higher rep/lower weight days, I don't bother with a belt at all.

Back
Top Bottom