European import insurance | GTAMotorcycle.com

European import insurance

daught

I am considering importing an european A4 TDI, quattro 6-speed, wagon. I looked at the process and it's not that daunting. Cost is very reasonable, probably less than a canadian auto TDI passat.

Big problem is insurance. I called around an no one wants to insure a car that has an engine that was not officially imported in to canada. My buddy's dog told me he knows a few people that imported a TDI A4, and their broker insured it as a gas car. That's a pretty big risk and I don't know if I would get that lucky.

One option is facility insurance like JDM cars, but that's very expensive.

Any ideas? Any brokers GTAM recommends?

How old is it? I didn't think you could get these in/plated unless it was 15 years old? Maybe this one is allowed because you could purchase the car here, but not the engine?

I got TDMM to insure a car that wasn't in their charts, but I had to send them an appraisal and VIN number before they would give me a quote. That is a little late for you in this situation.

Yes it has to be 15yr old. Looking at 98-00 A4s. I will try MM again. I get a super good rate on my car and bike with them.

Aviva $1048 a year. They will ensure any LEFT hand drive car that is unlisted based on declared value. Thats to Steve at Austen & Noble for looking in to it for me. Looks like I'll have the awesomest ski base camp

Here's another question. When I purchase the car, I will get temp German plates and insurance. When the car gets to halifax I shouldn't have any issues driving it to Ontario with german plates and insurance, right?

BTW check this out http://www.autoscout24.eu/Details.aspx?id=259612337&cd=635476098280000000&asrc=st|fs

It's cool and it looks to be in good shape, but won't it be close to $10K by the time it gets here? That seems like a lot for a 14 year old car with 200,000km.

9K...10K all in. Cars there are in much better condition. Those engines go for ever. It takes as low as 5.1 L/100 on the highway. Thats amazing for an AWD. It's manual. I was looking to get a 04-05 Passat TDI. The ones with 200,000km go for $5K-6K + they need a $1000 oil pump mod + their transmission can quite at any time. Considering I want to drive out west at least once a year the gas savings are huge. I spent my last few weeks looking at 1.8T A4s and I am sick and tired of the GTA garbage. Most have rolled back odometers.

Last edited:
9K...10K all in. Cars there are in much better condition. Those engines go for ever. It takes as low as 5.1 L/100 on the highway. Thats amazing for an AWD. It's manual. I was looking to get a 04-05 Passat TDI. The ones with 200,000km go for $5K-6K + they need a $1000 oil pump mod + their transmission can quite at any time. Considering I want to drive out west at least once a year the gas savings are huge. I spent my last few weeks looking at 1.8T A4s and I am sick and tired of the GTA garbage. Most have rolled back odometers.

Using VAG-COM, you can check the secondary Odo in the ecu which theoretically cannot be rolled back.

Fwiw , I sold a 1.9 w 320k and the motor was still fine (dual mass clutch had separated though). It was fwd, not a Wagon, no leather, not an Audi and I still got over 3 for it.

How long does the boat take? I've bought a car after the boat, but never had the time/energy to buy one on the other side.

Back
Top Bottom