Proximity Ignition Switch Pro / Con | GTAMotorcycle.com

Proximity Ignition Switch Pro / Con

nobbie48

Site Supporter
They seem handy in a way but is there a battery that dies and you can't start the car?
Replacement cost?
I assume you still need to have the fob in your hand to unlock the door so what's the big benefit?

Its definitely convenient to have. My previous car had it and when the battery died on car or fob the fob comes apart to expose an actual key. This key would open the door and the fob would be placed in a small charger near the lighter where it would start the car, and then charge itself up.

Replacement fob/key was around $250-300.
current car doesn't have it and I don't miss it that much.

My wife's car has it, mine does't.

It is convenient as you can put it in your pocket and forget about it, wife puts it in her purse and pretty much never takes it out. Also not having to put a key in the ignition is convenient.

All nice to have, non really needed unless you have no hands.... but you wouldn't be driving anyways if you didn't.

Mine has it. Nice feature most of the time. Just keep it in your pocket or gym bag/etc and press a small button on any door to open/push button to start.
My phone placed beside the transmitter sometimes blocks the signal so I keep them in separate pockets.
Replacement batteries can be had at walmart/etc. Real key located inside remote.
Sometimes the car thinks the remote battery is low so it flashes a red key icon on the dash. That gets annoying when the battery is fresh.

They seem handy in a way but is there a battery that dies and you can't start the car?
Replacement cost?
I assume you still need to have the fob in your hand to unlock the door so what's the big benefit?

No, you don't need to have the fob in your hand, it can be in your pocket, laptop bag, backpack, man-purse, wherever.

The Toyota system works flawlessly. As soon as I used to put my hand on the door handle, it would open. Just my gentle touch would be enough for the car to react, no need to press a button. It was just like the car knew I was approaching. Touch the driver's side door handle, the door unlocks... touch the passenger side door handle, all doors unlock...

Then, press the start button while pressing the brake pedal, and vroom-vroom. Press the start button again, it shuts off. So simple.

As opposed as Mimico Polack, my current car doesn't have it and I miss it so much, I wish I could have it again.

My girlfriend has it in her Mazda6, I opened the fob it and it is made by Siemens AG (made in Munich). Toyota system doesn't say anything inside. The Mazda fob works a bit differently. I like the simplicity of the Toyota one.

Replacement cost for Toyota is close to $300, but you can get them for a lot less aftermarket, and program them yourself. They look identical.

For the Toyota one, the battery in the fob may die but the car warns you in advance, because the condition of the battery is continuously monitored by the car. A message appears on the information display screen that says something like "Your smart key battery is low. Please visit the Toyota dealer".

Last edited:
While I was waiting, I sat ina GTI sitting in the dealership with keyless start. VW puts the start button where the key would normally go. The button was scratched to hell from people jamming the key into the button.

I had a rental car once with keyless, my coworker had the key in his pocket and walked away (while I was in the car with it running, it only complains after you shut it off, then it wouldn't restart), stupid system, if the key were attached to the car where it belongs we wouldn't have had that problem.

Personally, I prefer a key, that way at least a few times a day I know where my keys are. Watching people with keyless try to find a key is hilarious, is it in your coat/purse/floor of your car/glovebox/etc. who knows, you haven't needed it for a week, it could be anywhere.

really???? How lazy have we become? Self parking, etc.

I don't see this as "lazy", it is more like "convenience". In the old times, cars didn’t even have remote power locks. Instead of taking the key out of my pocket, and pushing it into the door lock, and then turning it, I just put my hand on the door and it unlocks. It is just faster.

You know what’s lazy, IMHO? The "Like" button on Facebook. People nowadays refuse to type a five-word sentence. They just want to click the button as a manner of communication. But that's a different topic.

I suppose. Maybe just implant an RFID chip and be done with it. Pay with a swipe of your hand...guess that would be too inconvient after a while too. lol

Last edited:
really???? How lazy have we become? Self parking, etc.

The self parking was actually started because of dense populations and driver training (see:Asia), they needed a way to consistently and quickly park the cars, and that's how it came about.

I suppose. Maybe just implant an RFID chip and be done with it. Pay with a swipe of your hand...guess that would be too inconvient after a while too. lol

I'll pass on the RFID implants, no need for another way to be tracked... also some one wants to steal your car they're going to take your whole hand?

Back
Top Bottom