Thinking of adding a Weestrom | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thinking of adding a Weestrom

Kid is interested in a TW200 which would be perfect, can fit in the van and cheap insurance.
Found one - we wil see.
Cool bikes - $217 to insure
$_20.JPG

Last edited:
My 2006 DL650 V-Strom is sitting in my hanger having been retired at 202,00 km when I bought my 2012 DL650 V-Strom in March of 2012. Last iI checked it last year it still ran fine. My 2012 Strom has over 113,000 km.

In Sept of 2011 I took of for a solo ride down to Grand Canyon, Death Valley, etc. my 2006 had about 180,000 km on it when I left and was packed with tent, etc. I cut my trip short as I headed up to the Bonneville Salt flats and headed home. The total trip was 10,300 km in ten days, Most of the riding was up over 30°c with it hitting over 50°c in Death Valley. The last two and a half days I did 3,200 km slabbing it with the speeds out west usually in the 130 to 150 kph range (75 to 85 mph.) The bike never missed a beat.

Good tough bikes!

..Tom

V-Tom - how did you do on tires on that.
That's one reason I was considering the Wee was for that kind of higher speeds - long runs...I know the Wee will do them well and with better suspension and range than the Burgman.

I don't have my spreadsheet handy but I got around 20,000 to 22,000 km on rear tires and roughly double on fronts. Until my last set of tires I used Metzler Tourance (original ones) after the OEM's wore but the last tire change I decided to try the Metzler Tourance Next. I like them a lot so far but it will come down to how long they last. (I'll let you know in a month or two.)

..Tom

Pretty close to 3 x what the Burgman rear gets :(
Wonder if that Wee is still in Brampton for a demo ride

This looks good too. $6k

$_20.JPG

Kilometers47835
Year2010
Stock13808

This DL650 V Strom has everything you could want and more! Aluminum skid plate, Givi touring windscreen with MadStad adjustable windshield mount, Jesse aluminum panniers, engine guards, 12V accessory plug, steel braided front brake line, BarkBusters with Storm handguards, and a Vista Cruise throttle lock. All this bike needs is rider interested in some long, long trips. All our used motorcycles undergo a thorough trade evaluation and safety inspection, service, and delivery preparation. We offer flexible financing through several lenders O.A.C, and trades are welcomed.

and this 2004 for $4k

2004 Suzuki DL650 V Strom
35 500km
Givi Hard side and top cases
Runs great, no problems
$_20.JPG

Can anyone tell if that is the stock seat?
thanks

Same insurance as the Burgman 650 but less likely to need repairs on a minor drop.

3 rear tires plus install $450
2 front tires plus install $300

versus 1 set on the Wee based on 25k km. $320 or so for Trailwings installed.

Gas about the same.
Range 50% more.

Suspension - way better.
Slow speed handling a bit top heavy.

So back to the equation...grab one for a year or two and store the Burgman.
I figure they are like the KLR650 in that they tend to hit a base price around $4k and stick there.

I can finance this so not a lot of cashflow hit.......

WHo me indecisive....nah ;)

I really need a demo ride for half a day. Maybe go to Guelph and see if I can sweet talk them.

I don't think either has ABS which is one reason I moved up on the Burgman 650 tho I've never needed and I brake like I don't have it....still.
WIth later models not that much more with ABS......

Oh wait that $6k one has ABS.....that certainly makes it the more attractive deal and for sure gets financed.

Anyone got an idea of what I should offer??

Black
Kilometers47835
Year2010
Stock13808
Aluminum skid plate, Givi touring windscreen with MadStad adjustable windshield mount, Jesse aluminum panniers, engine guards, 12V accessory plug, steel braided front brake line, BarkBusters with Storm handguards, and a Vista Cruise throttle lock.

Last edited:
Unless you're afraid to have the wind blow up your kilt or skirt or whatever you wear when riding the scooter, I'd recommend in spades going
with the Weestrom.:rolleyes: It's the dependable Swiss Army knife of touring or anything you want to do (other than track).

Keep in mind as well Mac, that the tires that Tom is getting 20k+ km out of are dual sport tires. You'd probably get even more km out of dedicated road tires like Michelin Pilot Road 3s or 4s.

I have only gotten around 16k km out of rear tires on my Wee -- the stock dunlops and Metzler Tourance. But I change my tires as soon as I hit the wear bar, or even slightly before if it is a cooler season, and a lot of my km are put on during tours where I have 3 full cases adding extra weight to my rear tire.

Next set after the shinko 705s I have on now ($150 for the pair, and $30 for installation of both!) I will be trying the Pilot Road series.

Macdoc, personally I'd go for the ABS bike. If it saves you once it's paid for itself (and you get the nicer panniers).

Years ago I test drove a weestrom and, although it may be a great bike for covering distance, I found it lacked any soul. Kind of like a KLR, it may be the best appliance for the job, but there was just no magic for me. It was too big and heavy to be a fun toy to toss around (like a 125/250) and not enough power to put a #$@# eating grin on your face when you open it up.

How did you find the Shinkos?
I;m running them now on the Burgman and find the handling okay - not sure of wear quite yet -

I'd likely stick with a 80/20 dual sport - anyways. I do like wandering off pavement which is one of the goals here.

I run full knobbies on the KLR - drony as hell but okay to 100 kph.

Trail Wings or some such would be fine. Heard good thinks about the Tourance.
The dealer offer half an hour demo ride....might be enough as I'd likely do something about the seat anyways.
More concerned how the height feels.

How did you find the Shinkos?
I;m running them now on the Burgman and find the handling okay - not sure of wear quite yet -

I'd likely stick with a 80/20 dual sport - anyways. I do like wandering off pavement which is one of the goals here.

I run full knobbies on the KLR - drony as hell but okay to 100 kph.

Trail Wings or some such would be fine. Heard good thinks about the Tourance.
The dealer offer half an hour demo ride....might be enough as I'd likely do something about the seat anyways.
More concerned how the height feels.

The shinkos are wearing well, I think they will last, but they feedback a lot more vibration and road noise than other tires I have used. The price is right though.

I only have a 30" inseam and I don't have an issue with the Wee's height. I have a Sargent seat. With cases and gear on, I can flat foot. When unsprung I can't flatfoot, but I don't need to anyway. Just left down is all I need.

Years ago I test drove a weestrom and, although it may be a great bike for covering distance, I found it lacked any soul. Kind of like a KLR, it may be the best appliance for the job, but there was just no magic for me. It was too big and heavy to be a fun toy to toss around (like a 125/250) and not enough power to put a #$@# eating grin on your face when you open it up.

Strangely enough that is one of the best features about the Strom.. it fades into the background and just lets you ride like you want to. It doesn't define you. it doesn't give you that "WOW this thing is scary fast" feeling. It isn't about lots of shiny chrome and loud pipes, it isn't about being the fastest, quickest, loudest, scariest or most thrilling.. its just a bike for riding. And that it does well.

Want to load a pile of crap on the back and go down a 10,000 km ride? No prob. Want to ride days on end at 140+ kph all loaded down? No prob. Want to rip through your favourite twisites and play with sport bike friends? Great fun! Gravel? no issue. Commuting? The tall riding position and flexibility make it idea for that. Want to do 200,000+ km with little fuss and bother? Easy.

The bike doesn't impress me, what I can do with the bike impresses me.

..Tom

I only have a 30" inseam and I don't have an issue with the Wee's height. I have a Sargent seat. With cases and gear on, I can flat foot. When unsprung I can't flatfoot, but I don't need to anyway. Just left down is all I need.

That's good - same as mine....Sargent would be my choice as well - love it on the KLR.
Heading up to Guelph this aft for a test ride.

That 6K one has better frame sliders...sorry I mean panniers...on.

I have Jesse's on the klr, great cases, no doubt, but not to sure about hard cases for off road in general. Every once and a while I bounce my foot off them and scare the shiit out of myself. I am leaning towards soft bags for any technical stuff.

I have Jesse's on the klr, great cases, no doubt, but not to sure about hard cases for off road in general. Every once and a while I bounce my foot off them and scare the shiit out of myself. I am leaning towards soft bags for any technical stuff.

Hard cases at least make it so you don't have to pick up the bike quite as far when you do lay it down.

Now a Wee owner....
$_20.JPG

Fit like a glove and less turbulence than the Burgman which is weird.

Palm throttle yup
Cruise yup
Adjustable windscreen yup
engine guard and crash plate.
new chain

Literally the guy must have been the same size as me. Mirrors everything were in the right place.

Sat on a stock one - bars were a tad far forward with the big tank...
One I bought of course had risers on it. ...of COURSE it did...:rolleyes:
Bark busters yup.

It just fit and I'm flat foot on it - with my mesh riding pants I think it might be easier to get on than the Burgman.

My top case will fit with a $50 plate I picked up there.
Ready to roll tomorrow morning.

Quite pleased. :D

Last edited:
Congrats, and welcome to the club.

What tires are on there? Are those shinkos?

Edit... in case you don't know, but you probably do... those side cases, Jesse's are known to be one of the best options for cases out there, and they aren't cheap... between $1300 to $1600 with mounts depending on where you buy them, exchange rate, etc.. If I were the previous owner, I definitely would have removed those and sold separately. You scored there.

Last edited:
Heidenauers?? sp??

Finicky Dutch guy owned ....really the only thing I need is the iPhone mount.

Cases are ugly but very secure and easy on and off.

Shortest demo ride ever...15 minutes and it just felt like the right bike it fit so well.

Will ride with the stock seat for the season and then get a Sargent.

Must admit the Burgman felt good riding over to the Forks - with the wind and sun at my back also felt good

WIll have a fun couple of weeks with the Wee......play some hooky
Damn gets dark early tho

Oh yeah - Wee has highway pegs as well. :D

Last edited:
Congrats....no rekluse? Being a burgie and all....
cover.png

Back
Top Bottom