Thinking of adding a Weestrom | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thinking of adding a Weestrom

Yeah even the 2012/2013 are taller which lets out many riders including me.
I'll be the 2010s will hold resale nicely. :D

Burgman was sulking - reluctant to start ( I think my fuel cap release valve is plugged and creates a vacuum )

Burgman was sulking - reluctant to start ( I think my fuel cap release valve is plugged and creates a vacuum )

ah so you got the VStrom? Nice :)

Yeah - too good a deal to turn down and making plans for longer trips this year and next.

ANd damn I want to be out there now

My wee set up for my daily commute. Top case is big enough for the laptop and a change clothes.

3022vxx.jpg

Getting some weird tire wear on the shinkos. Wee owners (that ride alot) tend to love the bikes.

Not nearly as nice looking as yours lol

Last edited:
I have had my 2004 Wee for 4 years now. Love it. Just over 55 K and replaced the shock with a progressive one. My weight doesn't help. I actually put it up for sale this spring but didn't find a better bike for me. Love this bike.

04dl650lean.gif

04weerear.gif

Last edited:
Congrats on the Strom, MacDoc. Looks like Suzuki may be upgrading the 2015: http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle...-road-focused-v-strom-650-for-2015/25582.html

What's with the beaks? I could see if the fender was quick release for off-road, but that's not the case. I guess they read about the FZ09 rumours too.
Well they are probably adding beaks to match the look of the Vstrom 1000. I have no idea what a beak offers if anything, but I would think they are trying to get some of the GS crowd as well. Its looking more like a GS now.

Qustion on the aluminum side cases I have.
What's best for internal storage on them...seems a bit grungy to use direct - my hands get oxide when handling them ...some sort of a liner bag or maybe big zip locks.
I'm used to doing a knapsack plus the light stuff in the top case.
Maybe that will work in the side case - I have a couple of knapsacks could use to split the weight.

Geez 41 litres EACH!!! $1100 set of side bags....!!! gonna be great for cross country - wonder if I can do without them on this trip. Don't really need I50 litres of storage for a few days.

OD28Suzuki45-SBG.jpg

Dimensions: 8"D x 18"H x 20"L
Capacity: 82 liters combined
Total width: 36"

Last edited:
The newer versions of most aluminum cases are now anodized inside too. You might want to see about getting that done at some point perhaps. I don't have liners for my panniers but I was looking at some nifty ones that have carry handles at the top and just lift out like a small suitcase or something. I'm jealous of your panniers actually...my Triumph OEM ones are fine but one of them is about big enough to hold 3.5 fruit flies due to the cut out for the exhaust.

can you paint aluminum with a durable finish? Spray on truck liner?

I was looking at some nifty ones that have carry handles at the top and just lift out like a small suitcase or something.

That sounds perfect for the cross country trip tho my knapsack might work.
Don't really want to get into treating the panniers tho don't love the colour. If I can get the bigger tank bag I'm after - it is 23 litres so with the top case shoudl be okay without the panniers and I can always kludge an old 20 litre tank bag on the buddy seat to carry some extra.

sv205.jpg

The big panniers will be superb for cross county giving us each enough space. His FZ-07 he is equipping with a Shad system 46 litres so that's 87 each plus our tank bags.
I'd guess we'll both maybe put on a dri-bag behind us as well....24 days reasonably long.

Qustion on the aluminum side cases I have.
What's best for internal storage on them...seems a bit grungy to use direct - my hands get oxide when handling them ...some sort of a liner bag or maybe big zip locks.
I'm used to doing a knapsack plus the light stuff in the top case.
Maybe that will work in the side case - I have a couple of knapsacks could use to split the weight.

Geez 41 litres EACH!!! $1100 set of side bags....!!! gonna be great for cross country - wonder if I can do without them on this trip. Don't really need I50 litres of storage for a few days.

OD28Suzuki45-SBG.jpg

Gah. Usefulness aside, I'll never get the bolt-on-garden-shed aesthetic of "adventure" riders. The 2014 Ninja 1000 integrated things much better, though they're a bit smallish.

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2013/09/2014-kawasaki-ninja-1000-abs-md-first-ride-part-2-2/

I think the first beaks came on the DR750/800 and were just as nonsensical then as now. Quack!

Last edited:
Gah. Usefulness aside, I'll never get the bolt-on-garden-shed aesthetic of "adventure" riders. The 2014 Ninja 1000 integrated things much better, though they're a bit smallish.

Because "garden shed" panniers don't explode when you tip the bike over (which happens when trying to take a top heavy bike off road). On the capo, I had to reinforce the latchs and contact points with aluminum plate as the plastic could not take the hits.

I'm not about looks either for any bike let alone adventure

These guys I admire

Screenshot2011-06-20atJun20201192121PM.jpg

doing this

Screenshot2011-06-20atJun20201192333PM.jpg

I must admit tho.

The Burgman 650 has 105 litres of storage with no sidebags or tank bag and a buddy seat add on for fuel adds anothe 25 litres with no change in frontal prile.

Screenshot2011-06-20atJun20201192802PM.jpg

That was an attraction for the bike.

The 650 has more storage

NeradaTeaandbikes_zpseff3d639.jpg

than my ST1100 in Australia

For up to a week riding its been fine and could go longer being careful with packing.
Camping out would be tough and 24 days with a sports bike kid in tow......fugedaboudit

The seat height might be taller but since it's narrower at the front smaller people seem comfy with the newer generation Stroms.

..Tom

I'm not about looks either for any bike let alone adventure

These guys I admire

doing this

That's a real adventure.

Here are pictures of two guys that went from mid USA to Alaska, back down to Tierra Del Fuego, and back up to the USA. They came from either Gemany or Austria (I forget which.)

GrandCanyon-0130_zpsca5845ce.jpg

GrandCanyon-0129_zps7449a9ab.jpg

..Tom

That's a real adventure.

Here are pictures of two guys that went from mid USA to Alaska, back down to Tierra Del Fuego, and back up to the USA. They came from either Gemany or Austria (I forget which.)

GrandCanyon-0130_zpsca5845ce.jpg

GrandCanyon-0129_zps7449a9ab.jpg

..Tom

I can only imagine how heavy that bike would be. Sweet jesus.

Because "garden shed" panniers don't explode when you tip the bike over (which happens when trying to take a top heavy bike off road). On the capo, I had to reinforce the latchs and contact points with aluminum plate as the plastic could not take the hits.

I understand why the steel/aluminum is preferred for durability. Material choice is no excuse for clumsy design though; working with sheet-metal has some history at this point. Not defending plastic luggage either--it's one crack away from the landfill and looks like heck with only few scratches, then if fades. Metal looks great when it's weathered use, even corroded.

Last edited:
It's utilitarian like us....:D
The design element is not obvious in these .....the locks flip up into carry handles, the system fastening to the racks is strong and simple and requires no tools.

Congratulations on the Weestrom Macdoc! I was looking at getting this bike as well but it's a little too top heavy for a small guy like me so I got the CB500X which fit me much better.

I love all your stories about all the trips you take and hope I can do the same in the near future.

Thanks
CB500x is a very good bike, easy on the insurance and fun to ride.
I was very impressed with the demo ride I took as was the guy that also demoed.

Take those trips....don't wait on it......:D

Back
Top Bottom