GP Style shift pattern... | GTAMotorcycle.com

GP Style shift pattern...

HELLBOY

Who's gone reverse-shift and never looked back? Worth it for the street bike? Or is it simply a 'cool' thing to say you have?

How bout for the track? Is there an increasing left turn radius on one of our tracks that require banging out upshifts mid corner for max exit speed?

Who's gone reverse-shift and never looked back? Worth it for the street bike? Or is it simply a 'cool' thing to say you have?

How bout for the track? Is there an increasing left turn radius on one of our tracks that require banging out upshifts mid corner for max exit speed?

I tried it on a GSX-R. Good thing it was a giant parking lot.
I don't think I'd want to get used to it.

I made the change 5 years ago and have never looked back! As said, up shifting in corners also more positive shift for banging through the gears even in a straight line.
I don't see the downside unless you can't wrap your mind around the change.

Won't go back but there's times when I want it back. Sometimes trying to make a quick downshift between corners it's hard to get my big skis under the lever.

I tried it on a GSX-R. Good thing it was a giant parking lot.
I don't think I'd want to get used to it.

stick to what works instinctualy to you
in an emergency your brain will just do what you taught it and your natural instincts and reflex will kick in
there is a reason street bikes don't come with reverse shifting...cost them nothing except flipping the rod around/over...interesting as to why manufacturers don't ship bikes with GP/reverse shifting

Won't go back but there's times when I want it back. Sometimes trying to make a quick downshift between corners it's hard to get my big skis under the lever.

did you adjust the shifter to give you more space?

Would you rather it be easier downshifting or upshifting in the corners?

your natural instincts and reflex will kick in

Since I've recently lost the above mentioned skills, I had to sell my bike & quit riding.
It all happened very quick - less than a year. The human body is a very strange animal.
Hope to continue in the future. (regular pattern shifting of course....lol)

I switch both street bike and track bike. I prefer it over normal shifting because it shifts up smoother. Although I've had to ride 2 bikes back to back with different sift patterns. It was not too bad.

did you adjust the shifter to give you more space?

Shifter is adjusted properly, it's my size 12 boots that are the issue. It's a big move to get off the balls of your feet, foot under the lever, make the shift when your flicking the bike from left to right.

Would you rather it be easier downshifting or upshifting in the corners?
Depends lol. Corner exit I want easier up shifts, when I have a short run between corners and need to downshift I want an easier down shift. Screwing either one up can cost you a position in a race.

I've recently got back on my dirty bike and it took a few times for me to remember how to shift. I still keep trying to take off in second though.

Last edited:
First year racing this year so I decided to give it a try and like it much better now on the track. I switched the streetbike also so that I wouldn't be going from regular to gp and back all the time. On the street I messed up a couple shifts at first when I switched it but never messed it up on the track. It feels more natural to me on the track, on the street I don't think it would make as much of a difference in feel for me but as mentioned I want all the bikes setup the same way.

I changed to reverse pattern about 20 years ago. I change everything over. I can still ride with the standard pattern but it requires conscious effort.

Streetbike and endurance bike are regular shift- but my R6 is GP.
Only had a couple backshifts in the past 3 yrs.

I can now go back and forth between regular and gp shift.

Street bike is still regular.

One tip i read online worked magic for me for using gp shift. Head down shift down, when you head is up, shift up.

Switched over 25 years ago. Its the first thing I do with every bike I get. For the track it simply works better. For the street I dont think it matters. My belief is the manufacturers simply dumb street bikes down for riders up for up down for down. Years ago they standardized most street bike patterns to down for first up for remainder. Before that they were all over the map some all up some all down and every other combination.
I am in the minority I can switch back and fourth without too much drama, over the years I have raced both on same day and ride customer bikes all the time although dont street ride myself anymore.

I don't see it being useful on the street as you aren't fully leaned off and have to hook your foot in a weird position to shift out of the turn (if you are, you've got a lot of balls lol)

Track wise, it would help immensely for those situations (especially S type turns where the left is just a kink).

If you plan to switch for track, might as well change it on the street for muscle memory?

Switch to GP at the beginning of last year, I also switched my street bike. I feel natural with GP even if I rode normal for over 25 years

Switched about 10.years ago. While riding in the city I had my back wheel lifted in a corner, really tight turn at medium speed and my foot was under the lever ready for the exit upshift. My foot became a pivot lifting the wheel. No crash but not cool either... I was following another rider and the corner and lean were tighter than I expected. It was a wake-up so to speak.

On most ducatis you can switch pattern with the stock shifter so I gave it a try, I waited for the beginning of the next season to make the switch (cleaner that way, time helps break habit). After a couple of months I switched to a dedicated gp shifter (arm mounted directly to the transmission shifter shaft).

Just take your time when you change, it all falls into place pretty quickly, maybe wait for spring...

Now I can upshift with no worries about lean angle....

Last edited:
GP shift on track and street.
Just personal preference I'm not fast enough for it to matter either way.
I find it does work better for more positive upshifts with a quickshifter.

Back
Top Bottom