Opinions From Those Who Store Their Bikes Over Winter... | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Opinions From Those Who Store Their Bikes Over Winter...

Yep. CAA always get got with cars that don't start when the first cold day of a cold snap comes in.
The performance is lower in the cold but you are not using it just storing it and discharge rates are lower in the cold.

Do you live on Baffin island a fully charged battery freezes at -67c not going to happen in Ontario.
I've heard of frozen batteries at - 20C. But I agree with you to a certain extent

+1.
Call > Bike picked up....Wait for spring....Bike returned.

Great service.

Or change the oil, add some fuel stabilizer, put bike on stands and use the 300$ for upgrades :)

Cold is better for storing batteries than warm, they hold a charge longer and have a longer life span if stored cold and charged

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

That is wrong, and only really true for chemical batteries. All lead acid and lithium work best at 25C.

cold temperatures slows down the chemical process. That's all.

A battery will eat away at the anode and make deposits on the cathode all the time, whether or not the battery is being used. Storing a battery in cold temperature will slow this process down.

It is a bad idea to use a cold battery. It is a bad idea to charge a cold battery. (because the anode to cathode process is hindered)

it's best to store a battery in a cold environment if all you're doing is storing it.
If you plan to use a trickle charger or plan to charge it once a month, then it's best to keep the battery in a warm place.

Then how come there are so many cases of people having a perfectly fine battery in the fall, they leave it outside at -10 - -20 all winter, then in spring it's dead and won't hold a charge?

This year, I purchased a TecMate OptiMate 3 Motorcycle Battery Charger and plan to leave the battery installed on the bike and leave the charger connected during storage.

Would leaving the battery connected to the bike and the charger connected to the battery 24/7 during storage in the garage have adverse effects on the battery or when the temperatures fall well below 0 degrees Celcious?

This depends on the charger. I had to Google the TecMate OptiMate 3, it says clearly "The OptiMate 3 +will safely maintain the battery at 100%, never overcharging, thanks to its unique 30 min charge, 30 min rest cycle during every hour of long term maintenance charge."

Also, "Fully automatic 5 stage program control".

So I assume this is like a Battery Tender charger, which you can plug in and forget about it until spring time of the next year.

cold temperatures slows down the chemical process. That's all.

A battery will eat away at the anode and make deposits on the cathode all the time, whether or not the battery is being used. Storing a battery in cold temperature will slow this process down.

It is a bad idea to use a cold battery. It is a bad idea to charge a cold battery. (because the anode to cathode process is hindered)

it's best to store a battery in a cold environment if all you're doing is storing it.
If you plan to use a trickle charger or plan to charge it once a month, then it's best to keep the battery in a warm place.

No, wrong. These threads all go his way with good 'ole boy dumbass myths.

Here's the facts, from engineers:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The recommended storage temperature for most batteries is 15°C (59°F); the extreme allowable temperature is –40°C to 50°C (–40°C to 122°F) for most chemistries. While lead acid must always be kept at full charge during storage, nickel- and lithium-based chemistries should be stored at around a 40 percent state-of-charge (SoC). This level minimizes age-related capacity loss while keeping the battery in operating condition and allowing self-discharge.[/FONT]

READ:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_store_batteries

Then how come there are so many cases of people having a perfectly fine battery in the fall, they leave it outside at -10 - -20 all winter, then in spring it's dead and won't hold a charge?

Because they get advice from GTAM?

CafeRay's link said:
Storage will always cause batteries to age. Low temperature and partial SoC only slow the effect.

Just to clear up any confusion as to what i said.

cold doesn't mean freezing
warm doesn't mean hot

These threads all go his way with good 'ole boy dumbass myths.

directed at me?

Battery; pull from bike, store in basement, leave on Battery Tender Junior all winter, reinstall in spring. Couldn't be simpler.

Or change the oil, add some fuel stabilizer, put bike on stands and use the 300$ for upgrades :)
How about just change the oil & pull the battery? We're not storing it for 6 mths
That is wrong, and only really true for chemical batteries. All lead acid and lithium work best at 25C.
It's not entirely wrong. Colder temps would slower the discharge rate
That's because things are slowed down. Warm it up again & it works. Give it a try

Back
Top Bottom