Opinions From Those Who Store Their Bikes Over Winter... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Opinions From Those Who Store Their Bikes Over Winter...

Jiver

I usually begin to prepare my bike for storage over the winter when the temperatures on average begin to drop below 15 degrees Celsius. The bike is under the covers in the garage and stays in there until the spring! I take the battery out of the bike and bring in indoors and leave it on a trickle charger.

This year, I purchased a TecMate OptiMate 3 Motorcycle Battery Charger and plan to leave the battery installed on the bike and leave the charger connected during storage.

Would leaving the battery connected to the bike and the charger connected to the battery 24/7 during storage in the garage have adverse effects on the battery or when the temperatures fall well below 0 degrees Celcious? I also have a Scorpio SR-i900R alarm connected, would the charger damage the alarm or any other electronic devices connected to the battery?

I believe the above situations would be fine; however, opinions please...

Thanks,

Gordon

remove the battery and bring it inside
charge it once a month until the light goes off and remove charger

I have fried 2 good batteries leaving the top of the line battery tender (larger unit) connected.
I had 2 different chargers. The battery got hot one year.

So now, just pull the battery off or simply unplug the charger if you leave the battery in the bike...I unplug the quick connector...battery does just fine.

wash and wax your bike before storage, new gas mixed well with stablizer
lube all items and chain
clean air filter
change out fluids
make sure you have proper coolant if you are leaving it outside or in very cold garages
lower tire pressure
put old carpet or wood with plastic under the tires
give the bike a light spray with WD40 on the exposed metal areas

I prefer to leave a bike inside a garage instead of the elements.
-30+ just does not seem to be what these machines were designed for...that's an easy way to develop electrical problems

Lower tire pressure? Interesting. I stored one bike indoors @ 4 yrs. and put pressure at 50psi because I thought it was good idea. Did not consult internet or anybody. Just did it. Bad? Rode that bike this year with 5-6yr. old tires. Everything seemed ok.

I store it when it's -15c and the snow is on the ground. I disconnect the battery and charge it once a month or so. Oil change before storage and cover it in a cold garage.

The front and rear tires will be off the ground as I use both front and rear stands and covered, locked, and in the garage.

Lower tire pressure? Interesting. I stored one bike indoors @ 4 yrs. and put pressure at 50psi because I thought it was good idea. Did not consult internet or anybody. Just did it. Bad? Rode that bike this year with 5-6yr. old tires. Everything seemed ok.

6 year old tires on your bike...my safety is more important than saving a few bucks

6 year old tires on your bike...my safety is more important than saving a few bucks

By lowering the tp during storage, you can create 6yr old tires in one winter, don't you think?

By lowering the tp during storage, you can create 6yr old tires in one winter, don't you think?

don't know I don't ride around on 6 year old tires...they just don't last that long...tires are done in 6-7k

from everything I have read...even tire manufacturer's info...they say to lower the pressure for bikes at storage

I thought you would want to keep it inflated or to add a bit more to keep the shape and strength/integrity of the carcus

don't know I don't ride around on 6 year old tires...they just don't last that long...tires are done in 6-7k

from everything I have read...even tire manufacturer's info...they say to lower the pressure for bikes at storage

I thought you would want to keep it inflated or to add a bit more to keep the shape and strength/integrity of the carcus

Maybe the manufacturer thinks the tires will be off the ground?
Otherwise, I'm think'n flat spots would be the biggest concern, right after cracking sidewalls.
But it's only 3 or 5 months............who cares.

I've got lots of ACF50 if you're going to store outside.

When I store vehicles on their tires I inflate the bejesus out of them to avoid flat spots. Worked on my 944 I let sit for 2 years, anyway. After putting a new battery in it the thing drove fine once I wore all the rust off the rotors.

I raise both tires and pull my battery. Battery is inside the house. I hook it to the tender for a few days every other week.

Bike gets a good clean and lube before putting away. Will probably do a fresh oil change this year before putting away.

I'm pretty sure its common sense to increase PSI for storage to reduce flat spots on the tires... if you jacked up both tires, doesn't matter.

To be really safe for storage you should not only remove the battery but everything inside the house, motor, tires, seat, handlebars, battery, all electronics, just leave the bare frame in the garage...lol Also doubles as a theft deterrent..lmao

Cold is better for storing batteries than warm, they hold a charge longer and have a longer life span if stored cold and charged

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Cold is better for storing batteries than warm, they hold a charge longer and have a longer life span if stored cold and charged

This is exactly the opposite of what anyone has ever said or what I have experienced. I've had batteries that were charged one day, temp drops to - 30, battery basically dead.

This is exactly the opposite of what anyone has ever said or what I have experienced. I've had batteries that were charged one day, temp drops to - 30, battery basically dead.
Yep. CAA always get got with cars that don't start when the first cold day of a cold snap comes in.

Not good when the acid starts to freeze

Y'all should just use my service and worry about bigger and better things :cool:

Back
Top Bottom