Your thoughts on minimum wage | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Your thoughts on minimum wage

, but have they considered how hard they work to get there?

Sent from my tablet using my paws

Really? The whole hard work pays off is a myth. Just because people are successful doesn't mean they worked their ass off to get there. Not to say that this doesn't happen, but on a grand scale? Yeah right.

As if it's so hard to be born into privilege. You think these CEOs come from the ghettos of new York? No, they were practically born into a bed of money and invested it accordingly. People who have more money to invest will make more money than those who don't. It's simple math.

Reminds me of when Kevin O'Leary said people need to work harder if they want to be successful. That's the comment of someone who is so disconnected with reality they are practically suffering from psychosis.

You want to be successful? For the most part you're going to already have money which you inherited by means out of your control, and then you have to step on others so you can rise to the top. Sure, you can say this is the way the world has always been, and I'll always ask you why it has to be this way? Because if we reset the register and started from scratch, I'm sure we could live more respectable lives as rational species.

Last edited:
The market is so dynamic that changing something, while it sounds positive, will eventually affect something else in a negative way, and vice versa. "The share of Ontario workers in minimum wage jobs has doubled from 2003 to 2011" meaning more and more people are WILLING to work for minimum wage. Otherwise, they would have left and found a way to find a better job either with another employer, or by being entrepreneurial. If the later was to happen, minimum wage would naturally rise because there are less qualified people who are willing to work more for less.

Instead of a government imposing a higher minimum wage, why not let the market decide? The government should be in the business of creating an environment for job creation. Increasing the minimum wage would have an opposite effect. Now you know which party I didn't vote for.

[/COLOR]Instead of a government imposing a higher minimum wage, why not let the market decide?

How long are we willing to sit back and watch the rich get richer and the poor get poorer before we finally stop "letting the market decide"?

I'm not trying to be antagonistic about this issue, I'm merely trying to ask the fundamental, controversial questions no one has the balls to ask.

How long are we willing to sit back and watch the rich get richer and the poor get poorer before we finally stop "letting the market decide"?

I'm not trying to be antagonistic about this issue, I'm merely trying to ask the fundamental, controversial questions no one has the balls to ask.

I'm with you brother.

LOL, Yea, your questions are so earth shattering....cept that they are not, but are fed by the mainstream in an effort to marginalize and divide the people. Rich vs poor, Conservatives vs Progressives etc etc

by the way, stop and think when throwing the CEO or whoever under the bus because he makes 35 mil and ooooh the poor wal-mart workers only minimum wage.

fact- wal-mart USA employs 1.2 million people. That 35 million dollar salary you so contemptuosly throw around....If his entire salary was divied up between all the Wal-mart employees...their yearly salary would be raised by 29.16 dollars. whopee....

back to your programmed "The MAN is keeping me down" with the rich vs poor spin instead of black vs white.

Blaming someone else cuz you're not making it in life....how original.

just to add...minimum wage is not the problem....its the "need" of the people to have the latest Iphone6, latest fashion, 50" LCD etc which keeps them in the poor house. The expectation of what meets "living standard" in USA and Canada would be laughed at in 75% of the world.

Last edited:
Minimum wage jobs used to be for students, workers in transition or people entering the work force, they were never intended as permanent positions. When did burger flipping become a valid life-long career?

Minimum wage jobs used to be for students, workers in transition or people entering the work force, they were never intended as permanent positions. When did burger flipping become a valid life-long career?

Right around the time when free handouts became an expected means of making up the rest.

How long are we willing to sit back and watch the rich get richer and the poor get poorer before we finally stop "letting the market decide"? I'm not trying to be antagonistic about this issue, I'm merely trying to ask the fundamental, controversial questions no one has the balls to ask.

May I ask which party you voted for in the last federal and provincial elections? (I voted PC for both).

Lots of people with balls have been asking this question since we organized ourselves as a communal system. So, nothing new here. Minimum wage is not the issue, it's the shrinking of middle class that's the issue. The extreme rich (465 people in the US) that controls the 50% of the wealth didn't claw it out of the minimum wage-bottom of the pile-low class working strata, but from the middle class of post 1980. There was a time being a bank teller was considered a middle-class job, but now, a bank teller makes 15/hr, which is much higher than a minimum wage job in Ontario, but it is no way a middle class salary that affords the earner to life a "comfortable" ease.

Technology and globalisation got us into this great divide at a dizzying speed. There are plenty of things to be done but talking about minimum wage increase is addressing the superficial symptom of the underling disease.

I encourage you all to take a view of "Inequality for all" by Robert Reich (Clinton's labour secretary). it's on Canadian netflix. Pretty decent and objective view on where the labour situation in America (which reflects heavily on Canada) is at present.

We need to get out of this damn minimum wage argument and get to a situation where a human life is not wasted and compensated on pouring f'n coffee and mixing with sugar and milk. The only way this works and it has been done before (Post WW2 USA), is by a macro policy change by government to once again to invest heavily in education.

Lots of people with balls have been asking this question since we organized ourselves as a communal system. So, nothing new here. Minimum wage is not the issue, it's the shrinking of middle class that's the issue. The extreme rich (465 people in the US) that controls the 50% of the wealth didn't claw it out of the minimum wage-bottom of the pile-low class working strata, but from the middle class of post 1980. There was a time being a bank teller was considered a middle-class job, but now, a bank teller makes 15/hr, which is much higher than a minimum wage job in Ontario, but it is no way a middle class salary that affords the earner to life a "comfortable" ease.

Technology and globalisation got us into this great divide at a dizzying speed. There are plenty of things to be done but talking about minimum wage increase is addressing the superficial symptom of the underling disease.

I encourage you all to take a view of "Inequality for all" by Robert Reich (Clinton's labour secretary). it's on Canadian netflix. Pretty decent and objective view on where the labour situation in America (which reflects heavily on Canada) is at present.

We need to get out of this damn minimum wage argument and get to a situation where a human life is not wasted and compensated on pouring f'n coffee and mixing with sugar and milk. The only way this works and it has been done before (Post WW2 USA), is by a macro policy change by government to once again to invest heavily in education.

I meant on this forum specifically. I've only seen a one sided debate in this thread. I'm aware my ideas aren't the first on the matter.

Well then.
Well what? Had I said any of the parties other than PC you would have criticized their policies and had I said PC you would have said how their policies went against my beliefs on the matter and clearly I was flawed in that I said one thing and voted another. And so it began yet another endless debate on who is right and who is wrong in Canadian politics. Though I wasn't lying when I said I didn't vote, even if I did why would I say it? I'm pretty open to the many policies of different platforms and I don't limit myself to only one because I see the pros and cons of each party. But I know many people aren't like me and are waiting to jump on the next person who gives away who they voted for.

I mean, can you blame me for being defensive?

I personally think the minimum wage amount is fine. The chick in the article that is complaining has been working there for 13 years, if it's so bad why would you still be there after 13 years?! no one is forcing her.

I managed to work on average 25hr/wk the last year while going to school making $13/hr, so a little more then minimum wage and I've survived just fine, even put a bunch away in savings, and no I don't live at home. Maybe if these people didn't "need" an expensive cell phone plan and a big screen or get knocked up at 18 then they wouldn't be so strapped for cash. I personally get ****** off when minimum wage goes up and mine doesn't making the gap between a shopping cart attendant (no skill or knowledge required) and my job which requires a brain and skills get smaller. Where's my $0.75 raise? If prices are going to be affected by min. wage going up, I want more money to cover it to. Call me cold and heartless for this suffering poor min. wage Walmart employees, but too bad, you're the only one stopping you from doing something different, jobs like that are for students or people just getting their foot in the door/wanting some spare cash.

I personally think the minimum wage amount is fine. The chick in the article that is complaining has been working there for 13 years, if it's so bad why would you still be there after 13 years?! no one is forcing her.

That's all she could get in her economically depressed area (of the US). She's happy to have any job, even this subsistence one because the alternative is worse for her family.

But that doesn't make it right.

That's all she could get in her economically depressed area (of the US). She's happy to have any job, even this subsistence one because the alternative is worse for her family.

But that doesn't make it right.

Then pack up and move where a better job is available. If people could come from overseas on a boat im pretty sure she can come up with the cash for a greyhound bus ride

Really? The whole hard work pays off is a myth. Just because people are successful doesn't mean they worked their *** off to get there. Not to say that this doesn't happen, but on a grand scale? Yeah right.

As if it's so hard to be born into privilege. You think these CEOs come from the ghettos of new York? No, they were practically born into a bed of money and invested it accordingly. People who have more money to invest will make more money than those who don't. It's simple math.

Reminds me of when Kevin O'Leary said people need to work harder if they want to be successful. That's the comment of someone who is so disconnected with reality they are practically suffering from psychosis.

You want to be successful? For the most part you're going to already have money which you inherited by means out of your control, and then you have to step on others so you can rise to the top. Sure, you can say this is the way the world has always been, and I'll always ask you why it has to be this way? Because if we reset the register and started from scratch, I'm sure we could live more respectable lives as rational species.

Yeah, that's the attitude. Why work hard right? Because everybody who has wealth has inherited it

Call me cold and heartless for this suffering poor min. wage Walmart employees, but too bad, you're the only one stopping you from doing something different, jobs like that are for students or people just getting their foot in the door/wanting some spare cash.

Your post doesn't make any sense. You're belittling people making minimum wage as lazy while you yourself is making near minimum wage. Sorry, don't mean to be rude, but just confused about your statement.

Back
Top Bottom