recommended base layer for colder rides? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

recommended base layer for colder rides?

I use ski/snowboard underlayers, i.e. Helly Hansen - merino wool, light, great.
< This. I was a ski instructor for years, merino wool is awesome , it DOES NOT itch, wicks, warm even if you get soaked in a rainstorm and does not stink like some poly wear. I buy the Ice Breaker brand from new Zealand now, its cheaper than HellyHansen by a little.

The thing that concerns me with wool is getting too warm. Riding sometimes runs from 4 degrees in the early day to 30 in the afternoon
My poly fleece I can still wear and not cook in it

I use a knockoff of under armour coldgear from eastbay, I also have silk glove liners, Balaclava, etc. And then those chemical hand and toe warmers from Canadian tire or dollarama come in handy too.

I also have a gore windstopper cycling jacket which is incredible at dealing with cold. Its super thin and cuts right through the wind and its probably as good as it gets without going to heated gear. Pricey but you can find deals on Amazon US on occasion. If I can find windstopper pants I'd be set...

I work nights 4:15pm-2:30am 4 days a week and it been pretty cold the last couple weeks. my gear is as follows.

1. Helmet
2. Thick scarf (fold in half and loop the end on my neck
3. Shirt tucked in pants under my Hoodie under my leather jacket (non perforated)
4. Im currently using vr pro shorties but will switch to gauntlets. No issues with the shorties.
5. Skin tight thermal long johns under thick jeans where the bottom is tucked to my socks.
6. above ankle high boots

As far as im concern, aside from hearing wind noise and tossing me around, it doesnt bother me at all.

Earplus will kill the wind noise and save your hearing - could not do distance without them

I managed to leave my poly underlayer on a park bench when delayering....came across this and price is decent. $22

http://www.amazon.com/ColdPruf-Mens...r=1-1&keywords=coldpruf+merino+long+underwear

The PLATINUM two layer garment has been specifically engineered with our COLDPRUF TECHNOLOGY to trap air between the layers of fabric to provide a natural warmth shield. The PLATINUM offers the desired level of WARMTH and COMFORT in Very Cold to Extremely Cold Weather During Mid to High Activity. Nature's natural warmth fiber, MERINO WOOL, blended with polyester on the outside and combined with CPT Performance Polyester on the inside, provides MAXIMUM WARMTH, DRYNESS and COMFORT at the same time providing ODOR CONTROL. THE PLATINUM - MERINO WOOL BLEND OFFERING COMFORT, WARMTH, DRYNESS and ODOR CONTROL.

Got 4 hours into a nippy north wind to get home today.

Gear is.
Poly fleece long johns
poly socks
Gortex 8" hunting boots from Bass Pro which truly are waterproof
Thin poly riding pants from Columbia then mesh armored pants,
( optional waterproof layer under the mesh )

Thin dri-fit poly top underlayer
Columbia poly fishing shirt ( lots of pockets )
JR Mesh armored jacket with liner
Icon fully waterproof high viz rain jacket worn today for wind protection- makes the mesh trap air for warmth.
Yesterday for rain and Friday for BOTH!!! 10 degrees and rain is miserable on the slab

Balaclava with bib is optional - neck warmth front and back is important.
I'll lose the Icon jacket as it warms up.

When it gets lower than 6 degrees I switch to a 3/4 ballistic jacket with a liner and lose some layers

Gloves vary as I have heated grips,

mesh off road shorties - go to gloves - easy on and off while riding
full armored gauntlet but useless in the wet -
First Ascent gauntlets when its cold - no armor but warm and flexible - work really well in rain and cold with the heated grips.

Last edited:
For tops, I use eucalyptus or bamboo fitted long sleeve shirts. Very comfortable and very warm. Anti microbial too.

I also agree with using the higher quality microfleece stuff. Super soft on the skin and very warm. I use those regularly as my bottoms when riding below freezing temps and could see how they would be best for tops as well. I think they are excellent for long distance riding.

If you can afford heated jacket, it's awesome as a next layer over the thin base layer.

edit: I also use the bamboo or eucalyptus for warm weather riding too, so it's nice to have one set of clothing for all weather conditions. Again, because they are anti-microbial, moisture wicking and very comfortable. Reasonably priced too.

Where do you find your eucalyptus or bamboo shirts?

Where do you find your eucalyptus or bamboo shirts?
There used to be a store on Queen Street called Modrobes, just east of where CityTv is. They closed down and the owner started making and selling the Eucalyptus shirts, which I happened to come across when working at the Green Living Show held at the Ex. I bought my shirts in 2012, and just now went to look for the Modrobes info and it seems they may have closed down or at the very least their website is down and no contact info given. I'll keep looking for them or another distributor of the eucalyptus stuff.

For the Bamboo shirts, mine were bought in Hadia Gwaii on the west coast of BC, but there are companies that sell them online. http://www.cariloha.com/womens/bamboo-long-sleeve-crew-tee-black.html or http://www.cariloha.com/womens/bamboo-fit/core-1-4-zip-black.html

and they have more long sleeve options for mens: http://www.cariloha.com/womens/bamboo-fit/core-1-4-zip-black.html

I also found this local manufacturer selling bamboo and hemp products called Efforts and they have a few stores across Ontario.
Men: https://efforts.ca/men-bamboo-fitted-long-sleeve-top.html
Women: https://efforts.ca/women/bamboo-clothing/tops/bamboo-long-sleeve-t-shirt.html

Forgot to mention...I have one thing I use for really cold weather which is cheap and awesome.....battery powered socks from Crappy Tire!! One set of cheap batteries lasts a few hours. Bit awkward with the battery pack and boots but the socks I bought are high enough that its not usually a problem!

Re: Modrobes shut down. Steve Sal Debus working for Pimlico Performance ltd. Product line at dishjeans.com . Performance denim for cycling.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

Costco sells base layer shirts and pants. They work just as good as Under Armour imo. I have been riding with them for the past 3 years and use them through out the winter for various outdoor activities. They are not too expensive which will allow you to buy more then one set.

< This. I was a ski instructor for years, merino wool is awesome , it DOES NOT itch, wicks, warm even if you get soaked in a rainstorm and does not stink like some poly wear. I buy the Ice Breaker brand from new Zealand now, its cheaper than HellyHansen by a little.

Been snowboarding for 20 years. By far Merino wool base layer is the best thing I've tried. A good quality one (Ice Breaker) will last and is a worthwile investment. Can be used for cold weather camping, motorbiking, snowmobiling, whatever.

Any good outdoors store will sell the Ice Breaker product.

Mountain Equipment Co-op also carries their branded Merino products. I've used them also and have had good results.

Re: Modrobes shut down. Steve Sal Debus working for Pimlico Performance ltd. Product line at dishjeans.com . Performance denim for cycling.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

I was wondering what happened to those guys. Use to see their product all over the place. I still have some.

I find even Merino wool itchy, so I put a silk undershirt and underpants beneath.
When it's not so cold the silk can work alone.

The wool is about the thickness of a cotton turtleneck.

Neck warmer, leather jacket, pants, gloves and possibly an insulated vest for the top layer.
Helmet is full face, and proper motorcycle boots.

Polypropylene wicks really well, but it just reeks under heavy usage,
and wind can go right through and give you a chill.

i used to have some silk glove liners, which were awesome as they didn't have those thick seams, that the others do. Now I put duct tape over the vents, or use insulated gloves.

I'm a big fan of Merino Smartwool long underwear. Even when I tour in summer, I wear the ultralight stuff; wicks the sweat off and really helps keep you cool.

Packs very small, so I often carry around a decent complement of weights in case I meet with unseasonable weather.

Smartwool is a bit pricey, and a bit fragile, but my skin is slightly allergic to the cheaper synthetic stuff. It is perhaps itchy at first, but that doesn't bother me for long.

When they salt the roads I put my bike away and start cycling everywhere. Rode through the whole winter last year without skipping a day.

Here's my base setup:
Merino wool leggings + long sleeve base layer
For head balaclava
For feet thick socks + extra pair over top
If it's extra cold throw on a polyester layer too.

The most important thing is covering all your skin.

Back
Top Bottom