recommended base layer for colder rides? | GTAMotorcycle.com

recommended base layer for colder rides?

matthew

Site Supporter
I have some base layer clothing already and as far as I can remember, it's designed for warm weather. I don't know if I'm being influenced by marketing companies, but I'm now looking for some base layer clothing for cold weather.

What does everyone else use?

I have heated gloves so my hands are set.

Is something like this any good?
http://www.marks.com/shop/en/marks-...underwear/driwear-microfleece-thermals--16762

It seems pricey for just a bottom.

Go to a powers ports store that deals with snowmobiles and have a look at the Bombardier gear. I bought a medium weight brushed nylon top and bottom for $80, and a light weight for the same.

I've been using them for three years as a goto base layer.

Walmart in the States sells Sparks branded compression tops and bottoms that are brilliant! I've a long sleeve turtleneck on today under my jacket, and I wear a heated vest over top of it. I think it was under $20 and I'd happily get a few more for when I get lazy and the laundry basket gets full.

Costco was selling compression fit long sleeved cycling shirts for $19 dollars, and they make a great cool weather layer that fits under any jacket I have.

The heated vest was the best investment after my heated grips. A warm core pumps hot blood out to the extremities. ?

I picked up a couple UA Coldgear compression tops for $20/each at the Buffalo outlet last year, seem to work well.

I work outside all year round, so I've tried my share of thermal under layers. The hyperdri microfleece one's you linked from Marks are very expensive but do work the best for me. They are very warm and well made. I wear and wash them a couple times a week and after a year they are still in good shape. The elastic has not stretched out at all, unlike some cheaper pairs. I actually paid more then that when I bought a few pairs last year.

there seems to be 2 types of "tech" at that Marks site if you click the technology comparison. one is T-max Heat (warm and hot) and the other is Driwear (warm and dry). im thinking for strictly riding purposes the T-max Heat would be the better choice.

Poly is the way to go but can't comment beyond that.
Controlling moisture generated inside the clothes is important - don't get overheated and sweaty before you leave.
I'd say dri-wear sounds the ticket but don't have a lot of background other than staying dry is critical to staying warm.

For tops, I use eucalyptus or bamboo fitted long sleeve shirts. Very comfortable and very warm. Anti microbial too.

I also agree with using the higher quality microfleece stuff. Super soft on the skin and very warm. I use those regularly as my bottoms when riding below freezing temps and could see how they would be best for tops as well. I think they are excellent for long distance riding.

If you can afford heated jacket, it's awesome as a next layer over the thin base layer.

edit: I also use the bamboo or eucalyptus for warm weather riding too, so it's nice to have one set of clothing for all weather conditions. Again, because they are anti-microbial, moisture wicking and very comfortable. Reasonably priced too.

Last edited:
Silk layer, followed by thin Merino wool, then leathers, then thermal vest and/or rain gear on top.

I use cheap, on sale Adidas or Underarmour compression gear designed for ice hockey. Wicks like anything, breathes, comfy. Then layer with wicking tops I get cheap from winners. Got an Arcteryx atom jacket last year and that's amazing and low bulk for really cold weather. Got that on sale too but it was still pricey, about $100. I try to keep the bulk down or I lose mobility on the bike from everything binding in the jacket. Usually have a micro fleece on as the top layer just under the jacket though.

Underarmour compression top. You'll know which ones made for cold weather because it is thicker and has a turtleneck.

I use cheap, on sale Adidas or Underarmour compression gear designed for ice hockey. Wicks like anything, breathes, comfy. Then layer with wicking tops I get cheap from winners. Got an Arcteryx atom jacket last year and that's amazing and low bulk for really cold weather. Got that on sale too but it was still pricey, about $100. I try to keep the bulk down or I lose mobility on the bike from everything binding in the jacket. Usually have a micro fleece on as the top layer just under the jacket though.
Keeping the bulk down became a key factor for comfortable cold weather riding.

I used to look like the stay puft marshmallow man
1002569-ghostbusters_stay_puft_marshmallow_man_bank_1.jpg

That's my problem as well. I don't want to have 4 thin layers on as it will severely restrict my movement. I wear a 2 piece leather suit with the back hump on the jacket for touring and I have to be careful with too many layers.

I'll look more into Marks stuff. Torrens endorsement makes the product sound really good.

I'd like to buy something this week so I'll post up with my decision.

That's my problem as well. I don't want to have 4 thin layers on as it will severely restrict my movement. I wear a 2 piece leather suit with the back hump on the jacket for touring and I have to be careful with too many layers.

I'd be looking for thin heated

Back
Top Bottom