Another Long Way Down coming | GTAMotorcycle.com

Another Long Way Down coming

Ummmmm, don't get your hopes up. That post is from 2012.

Would love to see another one though

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Way_Down#Future_trips

In a September 2010 interview, Boorman said that the third installment of the Long Way series was planned with McGregor for 2011, saying, "It should be crazy stuff riding up through South America. I'm expecting jungles, bandidos and drug lords...."[SUP][5][/SUP] As of March 2013, no further details have been released.

Watching those makes me want to load up and go rough it in the cuds.

Maybe without the goat, perhaps?

Read the Ted Simon novel 'Jupiter's Travels' to understand what inspired them. Ted's description of his hardships and mistakes really hit home on how a single person Rtw can live or die on chance and error.

I read the book...very enjoyable but I didn't realise how much of a whiny twat McGregor was.

Watching those makes me want to load up and go rough it in the cuds.

Maybe without the goat, perhaps?

Read the Ted Simon novel 'Jupiter's Travels' to understand what inspired them. Ted's description of his hardships and mistakes really hit home on how a single person Rtw can live or die on chance and error.

Ted Simon and Jupiter's Travels is how it should be done. A guy and his bike to make it or break it on his own.

I never cared much for Long Way Round or Long Way Down because it seems like cheating to me. Sure they covered the distance, but they were given free bikes and had a support vehicle that probably carried all their gear. That, and at least one of the riders is rich, so he could easily buy his way out of any trouble (mechanically, logistically, or legally) that they ran into during the trip.

I have a hell of a lot more respect for the guys that do all that without a camera following them... like the French guy I met North of Montreal who rode up from Tierra del Fuego and had been on the road for 3 years.

I have a hell of a lot more respect for the guys that do all that without a camera following them... like the French guy I met North of Montreal who rode up from Tierra del Fuego and had been on the road for 3 years.

For those that haven't seen them yet, "Mondo Enduro" and "Terra Circa" are very similar to LWD/LWR without the financial backing or notoriety:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mondo_Enduro

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terra_Circa

Mondo Enduro was a round-the-world adventure motorcycle expedition in 1995-1996. Team members Austin Vince, Gerald Vince, Chas Penty, Bill Penty, Clive Greenhough, Nick Stubley and Mark Friend set off to go round the world by the longest route possible in the shortest time on Suzuki DR350 Dual Sport bikes.

Their route took them from London, through Central Asia, Kazakhstan and Siberia; then from Alaska to Chile and finally from Cape Town through Africa and the Middle East back to London.

The expedition was filmed and was subsequently made into a 2 part TV series. Shown on Discovery Travel and Adventure Channel over 40 times, this has since reached cult status amongst biking and adventure travel fans.

The real difficulties in the expedition came in the Zilov Gap, the 400 mile roadless section in Siberia. The team got bogged down here and eventually ended up taking the Trans-Siberian railroad and then river barge to circumvent this problem.

As well as a cult TV show and DVD, the expedition diaries (ISBN 1-904466-28-1) are a fascinating account of a round-the-world expedition done on a shoestring, with rough camping the order of the day.

I'm sure this won't happen again. Apparently heads rolled at KTM:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=738133

Because it's posted on advrider as an ultimate proof????? I am sure the KTM exec who made the decision sleeps well, because half of the episodes were proof that the heavy bikes were not the right machines. I would take the significantly lighter one, any day ..... Maybe a frame wouldn't crack either and the rear shock would last.

Mondo Enduro is a great flick, thanks for the recommendation Xhumeka.

For anyone who liked Long Way Round, download Mondo Enduro from Kickass Torrents or something. It depicts real, hard core touring -- around the world on DR350s!

Because it's posted on advrider as an ultimate proof????? I am sure the KTM exec who made the decision sleeps well, because half of the episodes were proof that the heavy bikes were not the right machines. I would take the significantly lighter one, any day ..... Maybe a frame wouldn't crack either and the rear shock would last.

KTM had a lot of reliability issues back then. They knew their bikes wouldn't make it.

Back
Top Bottom