Dead battery from GPS? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dead battery from GPS?

Chaos

I had recently replaced my battery about the month ago, which at the time was about 2 years old. I had my GPS connected at the time (Garmin 550. Connected from the battery to the GPS via a 12V to 5V adapter). I went to give it a start and it was dead.

Anyway, I got the battery replaced a month ago. I went to go start it this morning, and it was dead again. I admit I had the GPS connected again for a week (rode the bike last weekend).

My question is is the GPS' draw enough to kill the battery, or might I have another electrical gremlin in the bike somewhere?

It's the adapter that may be drawing the load.

If you leave a 1000mah adapter plugged in, it's way more than a 250mah drain from say a digital odometer.

It's the adapter that may be drawing the load.

If you leave a 1000mah adapter plugged in, it's way more than a 250mah drain from say a digital odometer.

would the adapter draw the power even if the GPS were not plugged in? Is there a way to test to see if the battery is being drawn?

-

Yes even my truck goes dead in the winter with a GPS plugged in they have a significant parasitic draw

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Why not try unplugging it to see if the same thing will happen?

Sent from my tablet using my paws

Why not try unplugging it to see if the same thing will happen?

Sent from my tablet using my paws

battery is dead dead. Trying to figure out how to boost it, but living in a condo, and the location of the battery (it's under the damn tank) makes it difficult.

Charge it with the socket the GPS is plugged into?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I was thinking of using the 12 volt port. Looks like this: the male/female port on the bottom right. I have it connected to the battery. I had it originally installed as means to get to the battery, but I don't have a power source (e.g. AC outlet) nearby. Maybe I can use my car's 12v port...? I can't help but think I am Red Green at the moment.

http://www.causa.com/store/images/products/large/10722.JPG

Last edited:
battery is dead dead. Trying to figure out how to boost it, but living in a condo, and the location of the battery (it's under the damn tank) makes it difficult.

I have a auxillary output that connects to the battery when the parking lights are put on. This connects to the battery & I can charge it when I switch it to this mode.

Maybe you can consider wiring it directly to the battery so you don't have to remove the tank whenever you need to charge it. Another option would be to bump start it and go for a short ride

I was thinking of using the 12 volt port. Looks like this: the male/female port on the bottom right. I have it connected to the battery. I had it originally installed as means to get to the battery, but I don't have a power source (e.g. AC outlet) nearby. Maybe I can use my car's 12v port...? I can't help but think I am Red Green at the moment.

If you have a car with the adapter you can try charging it. I'd have the car running though

That's an SAE connector. You could get a battery tender Junior for $35 bucks that will charge it, but it needs a 120vac power source, obviously.

Oh, you can also buy those connector ends at Canadian Tire, get a 300amp booster pack, and jump start your bike. Worst case scenario is the boost MAY blow the in line fuse for the heated gear, and you'd have to pull off the tank and sort that out with a new fuse.

Will it not even bump start? Find a friend to give you a push. 2nd gear, let the clutch out when you're rolling at a good speed. Bike should fire up. Might take a few tries.

It's quite possible the 12v socket is drawing power, even with nothing plugged in. The proper way to wire it would be to use an automotive relay. The relay hooks into a source of switched power: something that only comes on when the key is turned, like a license plate light. Whenever that comes one, the relay works like a switch turning on your main circuit. They can be had at princess auto for $5.99

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Trailer/30A-Relay-Socket/8080376.p

decided to take it to the shop (I have CAA). with the money/time i'd need to spend to get the things i need to do this, it's just less time consuming to bring it to the shop, especially if the tank has to be removed to get to the battery anyway. Stupid bike design.

My motorcycle (Duc 696) is impossible to bump start. I've tried a few times with help, and no go.

Back
Top Bottom