Oil change | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Oil change

A torque wrench is one of those tools you don't cheap out on. Do your research and buy a quality wrench. I have nothing but good things to say about my Armstrong torque wrench.
Really? I have a cheap one & its just enough for the weekend wrencher

Was talking to my buddy and told him I going out to buy a torque wrench and he's got one. Borrowed tools rule. Gonna get me some oil and when the rain comes tomorrow, oil change time.
Thanks everyone for all the advice.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

So I finally got around to doing the oil change and it wasn't as easy as I had hoped.

It seems that you can't get a socket onto the drain plug as there is a coolant hose in the way. So I had to use an open end wrench. Whoever did the last change did a number on the bolt so it was a ***** to get off. Luckily I bought a new one.

Oil was black as ****. K&N filter came off no problem. Everything back together with new crush washer. Now here's the issue: As read in this thread, I should torque the drain plug bolt, but it won't fit. So I hand tightened it, then a touch more. Should I be okay?

And a stupid question, my coolant was a bit low. Is it the same coolant for a bike as a car? I can't find any info that says yes or no.

Thanks in advance.

Have you tried a socket extension or a deep socket?

Hand tighten then quarter turn should be ok. New washer? Half turn maybe.

Get a socket extension

Sent from my tablet using my paws

I'm not sure I'm following you... There is a hose about 3/4 inch in front of the drain plug. Not enough room for a socket. That's the issue.

I'm not sure I'm following you... There is a hose about 3/4 inch in front of the drain plug. Not enough room for a socket. That's the issue.

Take the coolant hoses out and change your coolant at the same time... two birds one stone. An oil change, on a difficulty scale of 1-10 is like a 1.. coolant is like a 2. The only thing I tighten to torque are the wheels on my car/bikes, engine parts and frame/subframe parts. Don't think too much into it.

Take the coolant hoses out and change your coolant at the same time... two birds one stone. An oil change, on a difficulty scale of 1-10 is like a 1.. coolant is like a 2. The only thing I tighten to torque are the wheels on my car/bikes, engine parts and frame/subframe parts. Don't think too much into it.

I was kinda leaning that way. I plan on doing another oil change in the spring, as this one was overdue, and I will do the coolant then as well.
Although it's only a 1 on the scale, I feel pretty good about doing it myself, and I'm sure the next time will go much easier.
Thanks for the reply.

I'm lost myself. Can you post a pic?

If not using a torque wrench on the drain bolt, check it after a few rides.

I put some cardboard underneath last night. Will check as advised. Thank you.

Check after use...to check if vibration loosened it.

I'm surprised a hose is blocking access to the drain bolt though. @Rocker...That's why a socket isn't fitting...not enough depth.

Check after use...to check if vibration loosened it.

Will do, thanks.

I'm surprised a hose is blocking access to the drain bolt though. @Rocker...That's why a socket isn't fitting...not enough depth.

Here's a pic:

(ugh! Tapatalk is acting up again)
5e8ymu2e

Last edited:
Loosen the clamp and rotate it out of the way?

Loosen the clamp and rotate it out of the way?

Not just the clamp. Hard to tell in the pic, but the hose is about 3/4" away from the bolt.
Strange design.

They're all like that, Use a stubby 17 mm wrench and just tighten it ,kinda have to develop a feel for tightness

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

You use an open ended wrench, that's enough. No need to monkey fist it

Sent from my tablet using my paws

Standard sockets may not do but there are several variation thatmakes a job easier/possible. Same with wrenches. standard line wrench with angles, gearwrench, or stubby. Use a regular wrench. That bolt wasn't meant for a socket.

2 motors, Jimsun, Rockerguy: I borrowed a 17mm, but definitely going to get the stubby. Would have been much easier to maneuver under there.

Sometimes people do drastic things like grind wrenches down. Or heat up and bend if that's needed. There's a solution to everything. Academia doesn't really appreciate the mental backflips mechanics perform daily. Like removing or rotating the clamp. Not everybody can think at that level.

Back
Top Bottom