Outboard 2 stroke oil? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Outboard 2 stroke oil?

unL33T

Any reason why I can't run outboard 2 stroke oil in my RS125 presuming both oils are for oil injected, water cooled engines and list the same specs?

I needed some oil on my way back from Ottawa today and the gas station only had outboard 2 stroke oil.

I also bought the Amsoil outboard stuff last time because it was $2 cheaper than the regular stuff and their site said the same stuff for both other than mentioning some rust inhibitor stuff in the outboard stuff.

Any reason why I can't run outboard 2 stroke oil in my RS125 presuming both oils are for oil injected, water cooled engines and list the same specs?

I needed some oil on my way back from Ottawa today and the gas station only had outboard 2 stroke oil.

I also bought the Amsoil outboard stuff last time because it was $2 cheaper than the regular stuff and their site said the same stuff for both other than mentioning some rust inhibitor stuff in the outboard stuff.

You rode a 2 stroke 125 to Ottawa? Awesome. Good to see it being used.

Sorry, I can't provide any useful information on your question.

You rode a 2 stroke 125 to Ottawa? Awesome. Good to see it being used.

Sorry, I can't provide any useful information on your question.
Yep. The way there was fine but the headwind on the way back sucked. Plus I think I almost gave myself hyperthermia (I was pretty out of it by the time I stopped for lunch, super sleepy) because the temp dropped by over 10 degrees shortly outside Ottawa and for the rest of the trip. I only had my cooling base layer and perforated jacket on at 130 kph at 14C for 2.5 hrs or so.

Had the bike screaming at redline for about 3 hrs, half hour break for lunch, 2 hrs at redline the rest of the way. All on outboard and it didn't blow up so I'm guessing it's fine?

Had 50 lbs of luggage strapped to the back, too. Should've taken a pic. The valet parking guy at the hotel thought it was pretty strange when I was leaving.

It's fine. Long live the demonic weedwackers.

3 hours at red line was a good test!
I've read that outboard oil (at least synthetic) is designed to give optimum protection at a lower temperature because of the cold water cooling, the motor does run cooler.
You may find with prolonged use that it may carbon up more?
The main thing is not to mix synthetic with Dino oil, in certain circumstances it's been known to gel and clog up the oil pump.

You may find with prolonged use that it may carbon up more?
The main thing is not to mix synthetic with Dino oil, in certain circumstances it's been known to gel and clog up the oil pump.
This is my understanding as well.

Too bad I didn't know you were in Ottawa. I would have liked to have seen that rs125 in person.
I'd have shown you some of the nicer fun loops around town.

Good on ya for riding that all the way here & back.

3 hours at red line was a good test!
I've read that outboard oil (at least synthetic) is designed to give optimum protection at a lower temperature because of the cold water cooling, the motor does run cooler.

Another thing I've read is that it is designed to run at a constant rpm for longer.

I was reading about it for a dirt bike and that was brought up because a dirt bike is constantly changing rpm's, whereas a boat maintains more of a consistent rpm.

Hmm they only had the Petro Canada branded stuff at that gas station and I do not recall if it was synthetic.

Does it carbon up more due to less detergent?

The Amsoil Interceptor discusses how it has lots of detergent additives to prevent carbon and power valve sticking while the HP Marine also claims "excellent deposit control" and "virtually eliminated exhaust port deposits for reliable, efficient operation." The marine actually lists way more benefits, including being extra good to use in lean-running engines, but costs approximately $2 less. The Intimidator also says it's good for jetskis and jetboats so I guess there's some overlap in the applications.

Of course the Petro Can outboard stuff I bought was probably junkier than the Amsoil, even though it cost the same as the Amsoil stuff. I don't recall whether it was synthetic or not but it sounds like to use one tank of it isn't going to kill my bike.

I do see Amsoil has a more basic, cheaper, synthetic 2 stroke oil that is less than the marine one but I've never seen it in stores.

I wonder if the Intimidator is worth the extra cost.

This is my understanding as well.

Too bad I didn't know you were in Ottawa. I would have liked to have seen that rs125 in person.
I'd have shown you some of the nicer fun loops around town.

Good on ya for riding that all the way here & back.

I did mention it in a thread I made asking about throttle locks. Guess you didn't see it.

Back
Top Bottom