machine shop broke a head stud | GTAMotorcycle.com

machine shop broke a head stud

sixstring

Hi all,

I sent my cylinder head to get decked and I just got a call from the shop saying that they damaged the threads while attempting to remove it one of the header studs from the head. Apparently a helicoil was used to repair the stud.... Is this an appropriate repair?

it's one way and it is acceptable, or one could weld up the hole, drill and tap a new one

P1070613.jpg

P1080641.jpg

P1080643.jpg

P1080644.jpg

Last edited:
it's one way and it is acceptable, or one could weld up the hole, drill and tap a new one

helicoil will work so will the fill and tap method. Those really are the only two choices.

A heli coil is actually stronger than threads cut into into aluminum.I've worked in a metal fabricating plant and had one of the machinist do a repair with a heli coil for me.I remember him telling me it was quite common to install heli coils on aluminum parts for aircraft that require greater strength as opposed to threads just cut in aluminum.

my friend had to take on a job (that he did not want to) like yours. the customer handed him a 1992 gsxr 1100 to fix a oil leak and when he tried to take off the exhaust 3 exhaust bolts broke off in the head. on the old school gsxr the bolts fuse to the metal.
when the customer did not want to put money into the project my friend gave him back his bike.
now the customer blames my friend and bad mouths him to everybody.

Hi all,

I sent my cylinder head to get decked and I just got a call from the shop saying that they damaged the threads while attempting to remove it one of the header studs from the head. Apparently a helicoil was used to repair the stud.... Is this an appropriate repair?

That's a completely acceptable solution IMO. Header studs and bolts do break, drilling and installing a thread insert is common practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reassurance guys. I got similar opinions on another forum so I think I'll be okay.

I'll go pay my machinist for his work. I try not to publicly say negative things about shops unless there's something systemically wrong with it. My case looks like a typical problem and a commonly accepted solution was applied. Time will tell if the helicoil will hold...

I'm surprised he even told you. I've seen many places just do the repair and assume no one will even notice.

Adrian

Thanks for the reassurance guys. I got similar opinions on another forum so I think I'll be okay.

I'll go pay my machinist for his work. I try not to publicly say negative things about shops unless there's something systemically wrong with it. My case looks like a typical problem and a commonly accepted solution was applied. Time will tell if the helicoil will hold...

I'm 3+ years and counting on this exact same repair on my bike. No issues. They do work well.

edit: my case I did the damage myself (which is actually not hard to do) and I did the repair

I'm surprised he even told you. I've seen many places just do the repair and assume no one will even notice.

Adrian

This ^

Seems like you're dealing with a good shop in that they told you. I work in the auto industry, the amount of butchery I've seen get hidden under the table you would never believe.

Back
Top Bottom