immigration letter for friend's marriage | GTAMotorcycle.com

immigration letter for friend's marriage

meme

Site Supporter
Friend married a Brit last November and are living here in Ontario. They didn't do it the correct way, and now are having a hassle with everything. Understandable.

They have asked me to write a letter stating the validity of their marriage. Having hung out with them as a couple (and witnessing the marriage) I know this is not a scam. However I sucks at these kinds of things.

Anyone know what to say in a letter like this? I tried googling for a template, but most are work reference letters so not very applicable. What does immigration look for in a letter like this. "It's valid" is my whole letter at this point, but I think that may be too abrupt!

Thanks in advance!

for common law marriages, the term they use is "cohabited in a relationship of some permanence". I would use this as a starting point (ie. they have lived together for x months and present themselves as a couple in public and to their friends. I have met his parents and they referred to her as their daughter-in-law, etc.)

Yeah, just use simple words and explain how they've been going around as a married couple, had a proper ceremony at such and such place on such and such date, attended by their friends and families.......

I've never done this before but I'd assume it would start with "To Whom it May Concern". Then follow with...

-Facts
-how you come to know them, what kind of character they are, if they have a reputable way of earning a living include that.
-Where they married (church?), witnesses? name of priest?
-If they volunteer their time include that.
-Sign off by putting your occupation and where you work maybe?

Last but not least, make sure they buy you a tank of gas for your time or in my case a case of beer

Marriage fraud: Canadian immigration officials tread thin line

A Markham woman was accused of marriage fraud after failing to produce her husband’s socks and underwear.

http://www.thestar.com/news/immigration/2013/04/29/marriage_fraud_canadian_immigration_officials_tread_thin_line.htm

Published on Mon Apr 29 2013
The immigration officer pondered the woman’s older age, better education and large family — and denied 21-year-old Sarem Soomro’s application to sponsor his wife to Canada.

To the shock of Soomro and his parents, his arranged marriage to 25-year-old Ghulam Fatima Soomro in Pakistan was deemed a fake.

“We have worked very hard to give Sarem a normal life,” said his upset mother, Armaghan Soomro, a support worker for the Red Cross and a CPR instructor for St. John Ambulance.
“We just want him to have a family and a complete life.”

As the Canadian government cracks down on marriage fraud, concern is being raised on both sides that officials are being too harsh, and in other cases too lenient, in deciding what is a genuine relationship.

“The law is there, but there is no will to enforce it,” said Sam Benet, founder of Canadians Against Immigration Fraud.
Benet’s group successfully lobbied Ottawa to strengthen the law on spousal sponsorships, but he says border service officials have done little to pursue the 85 formal complaints filed by his members.

Immigration officials say investigating marriages of convenience is now a priority, but Benet argues not enough is being done to catch the bad apples looking for a back door into Canada.

The government receives thousands of spousal applications every year, each of which is reviewed by an assigned immigration officer who pores over documents and interviews the sponsored spouse. An assessment might also include an interview with the sponsoring party.

Soomro, a Canadian citizen who lives in Georgetown with his parents and sister, submitted wedding photos, receipts, their wedding certificate, a DVD, and the couple’s communication on Facebook. His wife was interviewed in Pakistan. He was not.
Soomro’s family, who moved here from Pakistan in 2001, said it is not unusual for Pakistani men to have older, educated wives. He is a high-school graduate and she has a university degree in economics.

However, the officer also wrote: “(The wife) is the second of six children; the elder sibling is married, but the younger ones would be dependent children of her parents. This provides a potential benefit for the family, were a child to become a permanent resident of Canada.”

Soomro, who is deaf and works full-time as a baker at Tim Horton’s, is appealing the decision. His family does not believe his deafness factored into the rejection.

In some cases, where a spouse is already in Canada, the investigation may also include a surprise visit to the couple’s home.
That occurred in a case where border officers noticed the address on Xiu Yi Xuan’s driver’s licence was different than the address of her Canadian husband.

In a scene reminiscent of the 1990 romantic comedy Green Card, about a marriage of convenience, the Canada Border Services Agency made an unannounced visit to the couple’s Markham home to investigate.

Xuan, a failed refugee claimant from China, was home at the time and unable to produce her husband’s toothbrush (she claimed they shared one). She couldn’t say whether her husband used an electric razor or a disposable one, nor could she show the officer any evidence of his socks or underwear.

Despite other indications it was a genuine marriage — joint bank accounts, joint insurance, joint donations and ownership of a Stouffville property — Xuan was arrested. The couple’s spousal sponsorship was rejected and, most recently, their appeal to Federal Court denied.

“The choice to assign greater weight to the less prepared, extemporaneous evidence lies within the discretion of the officer,” Justice Michael Phelan said in his January ruling. “It is a reasonable choice, given the nature of the inquiry, which is to determine how a person lives — not merely how they say they live.”

Xuan and her Canadian husband, who have a baby, declined to be interviewed.
Max Berger, the couple’s lawyer, would not discuss the case, but commented that “whether a marriage or a relationship is genuine is the most difficult decision that an immigration officer has to make in any category of immigration.”

Citizen and Immigration refused to reveal the specific criteria used to decide if a marriage is real or fake, but a federal ‘operational manual’ for processing family class members, obtained by the Star, outlines in detail the questions an officer must consider. Among them:

Do the spouses have good knowledge of each others’ personal circumstances, background and family situation?
Is there a history of multiple marriages and divorces?
Have previous relationships clearly ended?
Do the applicants speak a common language?
Where was the wedding and who attended?

Immigration Minister Jason Kenney has brought the issue of marriage fraud to the fore after media reports of foreign brides and grooms leaving their Canadian sponsors upon arrival, and revelations of a “rent-a-guest” scheme in India that set up bogus wedding ceremonies for immigration purposes.

The new law, enacted in October, now requires sponsored spouses to remain in a relationship for two years before they can obtain permanent status, and bans the sponsored spouse from sponsoring a new spouse for five years.

In March, Kenney made fighting marriage fraud the theme of this year’s “fraud prevention month” at Citizenship and Immigration Canada, and launched an ad campaign to warn Canadians about being duped by foreign would-be spouses.
There are generally two types of marriage fraud, one where sponsored spouses prey on emotionally vulnerable or gullible Canadians, and another involving collusion by both parties.

They have asked me to write a letter stating the validity of their marriage. Having hung out with them as a couple (and witnessing the marriage) I know this is not a scam. However I sucks at these kinds of things.

Who are "they"? Who is asking you to write the letter? Your friends or CIC (Citizenship and Immigration Canada)?
Be truthful, you do not want to mess with CIC.

Who are "they"? Who is asking you to write the letter? Your friends or CIC (Citizenship and Immigration Canada)?
Be truthful, you do not want to mess with CIC.

I second this. I'd want to make sure they're good friends and be sure they were married.

Might have repercussions if things doesn't check out

People still put pen to paper? Doesn't immigration have an online service for this? A video of the marriage being consummated should suffice, no? Having "hung" out has nothing to do with swinging, right? Just hanging?

Last edited:
I'm not worried about the validity of their relationship. They are a couple and I was at a civil ceremony. It's not a lie, although the marriage was quick I do believe they love each other.

No swinging inreb - I'm not fussy on blondes!

Thanks for all the replies!

Last edited:
I'm not worried about the validity of their relationship. They are a couple and I was at a civil ceremony. It's not a lie, although the marriage was quick I do believe they love each other.

No swinging inreb - I'm not fussy on blondes!
I think inreb is alluding to something

I think inreb is alluding to something

Not at all. Just trying to get mental image of what went down. It helps me develop concise and on point posts.

My wife is Australian and we had to get letters from friends and family for her residency. They don't have to be long or wildly detailed, simply stae the facts. Yi

Dear imagration, they are a very good couple. My buddy only bangs her, and she wont guve ut up to me. If that isnt real love what is?

Back
Top Bottom