Claw of the Dragon | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Claw of the Dragon

The Super8 in Max Meadows was fine and cheap but book online for a cheaper rate,
Park the bike right out front and great spot for the area.

$65 a night CDN from Expedia

http://www.expedia.ca/Wytheville-Ho...00052&c=f6c60986-7fa8-4c46-ac1a-a33f16557317&

Fort Chiswell Road - part way down on the right and right off the slab.
Make sure you hit this but watch the hours they are open

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/314/175...ents-at-The-Fort-Chiswell-Mansion-Max-Meadows

clawofthedragonmap.jpg

Thanks for the link - that's a nice website.
The highway VA#16 aka The Back of the Dragon is an amazing piece of road. I haven't been on any of the others, but would be a great way to spend a weekend.QUOTE]

Had a chance to do this during my trip to the Smokies last week. Awesome road and absolutely beautiful scenery with the vines dripping down the cliff sides. There was one small patch torn up - but a sign warned of upcoming loose gravel - maybe 15 feet and on a straight piece of road.

Had a chance to do this during my trip to the Smokies last week. Awesome road and absolutely beautiful scenery with the vines dripping down the cliff sides. There was one small patch torn up - but a sign warned of upcoming loose gravel - maybe 15 feet and on a straight piece of road.
Thanks for the heads up. I will be running it twice in a few days from now. Did you get to ride any other roads that were as awesome? Two that look interesting are this one: http://goo.gl/maps/U8qqu and this one: http://goo.gl/maps/o2gyZ

If you are talking about Hungry Mother State Park - then yes it's a great name. It's also a really good place to pitch a tent, because the sites are really big and each has a large level wooden platform that can easily fit two 3 person tents. There are clean washrooms/showers and lots of areas to hike and explore. I think it was $25 for each site and more than one tent can be on a site.

Heading south from the park, the view of the lake as it winds along the base of VA#16 is really nice. Passing by that way early morning, there was a beautiful mist over the lake and I wished I had snapped up a pic or two! Hopefully this time.

Shane

622 is a surfaced goat path! But fun enough at a moderate pace. It and 42 were part of my homeward run on my Spring ride. Not as nice as 16 but still one you will ride because it is there. We chatted with 2 local riders at the lookout near the park on 16 and they had never been on 622 and because of the poor surface.
Thanks for the heads up. I will be running it twice in a few days from now. Did you get to ride any other roads that were as awesome? Two that look interesting are this one: http://goo.gl/maps/U8qqu and this one: http://goo.gl/maps/o2gyZ

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up. I will be running it twice in a few days from now

Make sure you have a meal at Key Ingredients at Max Meadows....neat place and fab food not expensive.

I'm undecided...weather looks good there - not so much in between and crazy busy but would like to give the Wee a run.
Sunday looks okay for PA
Sat through tuesday for Max Meadows then lovely Wednesday on.

Friday night looks a write off for a run 90% rain with Tstorms in PA tho Buffalo is showing warm and sunny.

Hmmm...get down to Letchworth on Friday afternoon and stay in Portageville.

Then punch south through the rain. Damn instant repeat of the last run and that is a nasty storm system.

This is the problem - that severe weather front that has been wreaking havoc in the mid west with late season tornados

Just want to update with a quick ride report , as a Friend and I just came back from the Claw of the Dragon and surrounding area.
Left Friday morning after loading the bikes in the trailer, a little later than would have liked to but regardless we left approx 10:30 am from Oakville.
After a stop at Duty Free and the border interrogation checking for bombs we were on the road at 11am.
Our end point was going to be Bristol Tennesse so from Buffalo we took US90-US79-US77-US81 and ended up at our destination Bristol Tennesse. Arrival was 10pm. Thats 11 hours pulling a trailer with bikes with a 2012 dodge ram, 1000kms paying avg. $3.20 gal fuel. In the hills we burned thru 2 full tanks.
We booked a Hampton inn online with a Government discount and the rate was $83/night. Nice beds , good breaky and centrally located for our purpose.
http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/tennessee/hampton-inn-bristol-BRITNHX/index.html
Only drawback was that there was nothing around i.e., restaurants, fuel, etc, hence the $83.

The next morning we got up has some food and we were off. Our plan was to do the Claw of the Dragon day 1 and the Devils Whip Day 2.

Day 1. Following the signs we were immediately put on US421 south out of Bristol and within 20mins your in 'The Snake' then the rest of the day is littered with twist and turns endless abandoned homes and trailer and cars and barns. Fuel Stops and food choices are plentiful thruout route. The Claw is very cool and climbs around the mountain unlike some roads that go overtop. So the views are awesome. Going thru a Saturday we expected more bikes but counted seeing handful bikes and a couple cars. Like previously stated, there is some roadwork and lots of blind right handers with gravel kicked up by cars cutting the corner. One local told us earlier in the day, a rider was taken to hospital via ambulance after hitting guard rail ala gravel.
Full day ride with a variety of road types, never boring! On way back stopped in old downtown bristol and stopped in State Line pub for a burger and beer then back to hotel.
Route
https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/36.5...d37.0626143!1m0!1m0!1m0!1m0!1m0!1m0!3e0?hl=en

Day 2
We once again hit the Us421 south , this time bypassing 133 north and continuing south. The goal was to hit the bottom of NC80 ' the devils whip' and 'blue ridge parkway'. Got down there and bikes galore and you could get lost on tons of roads and talking with bikers, but we continued on.
The devils whip was long and awesome, this time overtop of the mountain and thru a forest of twist and turns . More hairpins and switchbacks than the claw and longer. As long as you stay in the mountains the roads are endless fun. I personally like staying on the main ones as they are newer and marked better.
Again another long day, both days we left approx 8:30am returned after dinner 8:30pm exhausted.
Route
https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/36.5...:0xce11e08d9160d275!1m0!1m0!1m0!1m0!3e0?hl=en

Next day got up and left 9am and unloaded bikes in oakville 9 pm
Overall we only spent 2 days in the area, we easily could have doubled that. Wanted to make a run to the 'tail of the dragon' but another 4 hour ride , so that will be another trip.
Main roads are new but unlike pennsylvania, allegany park, they are not marked as well. We missed a lot of turns, running off a couple of times, slamming on brakes. Cars and bikes stay within the lines and minimal gravel on roads.
A lot of harley trikes, wow, don't know what the deal is but they just crawl thru the turns and the lineup behind them gets big as there are few places for a clean pass.
Fuel ranged from $3.00 gal in cities to $3.60 up in the mountains.
Weather was awesome, tshirt under jacket. But does get a little chilly up in the mountains in the morning. A little fog in mountains .
Cost for 4days with fuel and rooms and food. $1000

Hope this helps someone kickstart their adventure. Any questions just fire away.
Sorry not much of a picture taker. Tried uploading 2 on here but says I'm over my limit size?

Last edited:
I didn't explore too much in this area - but that's okay, leaves lots to go back and explore for a dedicated trip. The scariest part of the construction on 16 was actually the sign that said "loose gravel" - lol. Having visions of plowing through gravel in a hairpin while loaded down with all my camping gear bungeed on the back of the bike was a sphincter clenching moment - and then to see it was really nothing much on a straight patch of the road was such sweet relief :)
Virginia and West Virginia mountain roads are notorious for gravel in corners.

Yeah - put a damper on the "over the mountain" from Hungry Mother....a few rocks but then surprising gravel on some corners and you can't know which....just enough to tread cautiously.

This part was really nice tho - and strange.

Screenshot2014-09-15atSep15201453500PM_zps7e829020.jpg

There were some superb "off the beaten trail" roads tho that Winding Roads got me to. Picturesque as hell

Screenshot2014-09-15atSep15201453225PM_zpsc8ab3563.jpg

and level changes and tightish turns ( often not indicated as such which I prefer over PA's incessant signs.).

I really wish I had more time there as well. And not looking good just now to get there.
http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/Conus/full_loop.php

Hope this helps someone kickstart their adventure. Any questions just fire away.
Sorry not much of a picture taker. Tried uploading 2 on here but says I'm over my limit size?[/QUOTE]

Go to your profile click notifications scroll to bottom of page in your settings click attachments and delete all your old pics to make room

Just did the "Hungry Mother " this morning. It was great early to go up and down the mountain with no one around. Not too much gravel. I stopped where they ripped up the road for construction though.

Just did the "Hungry Mother " this morning. It was great early to go up and down the mountain with no one around. Not too much gravel. I stopped where they ripped up the road for construction though.

I'm in the area right now, but my plans may have to be adjusted depending on the weather tomorrow and Saturday. ..��

Make sure you have a meal at Key Ingredients at Max Meadows....neat place and fab food not expensive.

I'm undecided...weather looks good there - not so much in between and crazy busy but would like to give the Wee a run.
Sunday looks okay for PA
Sat through tuesday for Max Meadows then lovely Wednesday on.

Friday night looks a write off for a run 90% rain with Tstorms in PA tho Buffalo is showing warm and sunny.

Hmmm...get down to Letchworth on Friday afternoon and stay in Portageville.

Then punch south through the rain. Damn instant repeat of the last run and that is a nasty storm system.

This is the problem - that severe weather front that has been wreaking havoc in the mid west with late season tornados

Mac you seem to be a bit of a weather man around here....what weather info do you trust the most?
This is what I am seeing for next week but don't know if i should trust it.
What are your thoughts?

I'll be in the area of the claw on Tuesday as I work my way south from Maine to NC. If any folks from GTA are going to be down there, look out for an overloaded a Vstrom!

Kiley: used hotelcoupons today and saved about $20 on my first motel!

I'll be in the area of the claw on Tuesday as I work my way south from Maine to NC. If any folks from GTA are going to be down there, look out for an overloaded a Vstrom!

Kiley: used hotelcoupons today and saved about $20 on my first motel!

Shane that's awesome

If I go I will stay in Wythville at the Best Western
Hotelcoupons.com has it listed at $60 a night :)
Alternative will be Days Inn at $52.95
If weather is good I'll leave here Mon or Tuesday.

Keep me posted...I might tag along if you want a riding companion. I'd likely repeat the Super8 in Max Meadows as it really served my needs and was cheap with free breakfast. I could park the bike under the overhang and right outside the room.

Do you have a Scala Kiley? ..pm me if interested.

What route down are you thinking?

I was considering leaving noon Friday but that front is worrisome and I've not ridden the Wee enough. I've taken the Burgman through just about anything.

Motel 6 Wytheville is showing $46 Cdn on Expedia.
Days Inn $58
Super8 $66 in Max Meadows
and in Wytheville $63

all Canadian dollars

Last edited:
Keep me posted...I might tag along if you want a riding companion. I'd likely repeat the Super8 in Max Meadows as it really served my needs and was cheap with free breakfast. I could park the bike under the overhang and right outside the room.

Do you have a Scala Kiley? ..pm me if interested.

What route down are you thinking?

I was considering leaving noon Friday but that front is worrisome and I've not ridden the Wee enough. I've taken the Burgman through just about anything.

Motel 6 Wytheville is showing $46 Cdn on Expedia.
Days Inn $58
Super8 $66 in Max Meadows
and in Wytheville $63

all Canadian dollars

Mac pm sent

The front is rolling in like a freight train ( including triggering my migraine ).

Now it might stall as it hits the Great Lakes but that means the weekend may be fine for heading out....BUT...severe weather that was in Texas is heading straight for our target riding area
Once it's by - will be nice but cooler....buddy in Texas said wild light show last night and it's already moving into Georgia

I am NOT riding through this front...it's just too vicious.

Back
Top Bottom