Claw of the Dragon | GTAMotorcycle.com

Claw of the Dragon

Thanks for the link - that's a nice website.
The highway VA#16 aka The Back of the Dragon is an amazing piece of road. I haven't been on any of the others, but would be a great way to spend a weekend.

edit: Hungry Mother State Park has a really nice campground which would be an awesome base for exploring the area and it only takes one day to get there.

Last edited:
Thanks will put it on the to do list . Looks great .

Last edited:
great tip. Looking to hear reports on this one.

Just came back from that area including the back of the dragon. Almost as good as forks of the credit!l lol

20140821_105347_1_1.jpg

There are limitless roads within a days ride from here. The snake, Devil's Triangle , etc...

Last edited:
How long do you think it will take to get down there, ride around and get back. do you have a schedule. I may go myself later. I haven't been down that way for quite some time.
Thanks - think I'm headed that way on Friday for weeks wander. Good tip.

Last year I rode from Mississauga to Hungry Mother State Park in about 11 hours including breaks taking slab pretty much the whole way.

Last year I rode from Mississauga to Hungry Mother State Park in about 11 hours including breaks taking slab pretty much the whole way.

looks doable in a day or take the no highways run in two riding days. Google maps shows it just under 1000 kms and about 13 hrs moving avoiding highways. Morgantown looks to be a pretty decent half way point.

Timely posting for me too - I'm heading off on September 20th to the general vicinity. I stayed at Wytheville during a trip to S.C. and it is a beautiful area. I don't even mind slabbing it on I-77 which is in terms of interstates one of the nicest I've been on. My plan was to make Willville Bike Camp my first stop for a couple of days - and its only about another 1 1/2 hours down the road. Looking at the website and my google maps to get there - it would actually work quite well as a base camp for exploring the area - 2 or 3 nights there - then continue down the BRP to the southern part - a couple of nights camping around Deals Gap, then work my way back via some areas I wanted to explore further in Kentucky.

Having 9 days instead of 4 certainly opens a lot more options :)

I have to stop in State College anyways and have a 1/2 day to do it so will enjoy it tho on the bubble as to whether to wear the ballistic jacket which is warmer but bulkier..

I'm good to about 8 degrees with the mesh, liner and rain jacket layered.

At least I know I can get back with a long day on the slab - I don't mind leaving very early and getting into Sauga after dark. I HATE riding into the sun around 7 pm from the border. Just a serious downer.
Looking forward to leaving tomorrow. Forecast looks okay. :D

Just checked out the Willville Bike Camp.
Looks like a great place to use as a base as mentioned.
This time of year may not be too busy either.
Timely posting for me too - I'm heading off on September 20th to the general vicinity. I stayed at Wytheville during a trip to S.C. and it is a beautiful area. I don't even mind slabbing it on I-77 which is in terms of interstates one of the nicest I've been on. My plan was to make Willville Bike Camp my first stop for a couple of days - and its only about another 1 1/2 hours down the road. Looking at the website and my google maps to get there - it would actually work quite well as a base camp for exploring the area - 2 or 3 nights there - then continue down the BRP to the southern part - a couple of nights camping around Deals Gap, then work my way back via some areas I wanted to explore further in Kentucky.

Having 9 days instead of 4 certainly opens a lot more options :)

I settled on a

Super 8 Fort Chiswell/Max Meadows Area, Max Meadows

$213. cdn all in for 3 nights. $200 paid on CC travel points..I just have to have reliable internet. Some marginal reviews but have had good luck so far with Super8s and the location is okay.

Now still cannot decide which jacket to wear......;)

Hmm lot rainier down there than further north :(

Hope that moves out - that all looks like mesh and rain jacket temps even behind the front.

http://www.wunderground.com/wunderm...&rad.noc=1&rad.stm=0&sat=0&cams=0&undefined=0

Same front that drowned London yesterday...
BxNIpV-IgAAZQHL.jpg

Last edited:
Just checked out the Willville Bike Camp.
Looks like a great place to use as a base as mentioned.
This time of year may not be too busy either.
Willville is a great place to stay and as you mentioned it shouldn't be too busy. Will can hook you up with great riding routes of the area and sometimes even leads rides if it's not that busy. When I was last there, it was pouring rain when I arrived, so he let us pitch our tents under the covers of the large gazebo thing. Nice guy.

Willville is a great place to stay and as you mentioned it shouldn't be too busy. Will can hook you up with great riding routes of the area and sometimes even leads rides if it's not that busy. When I was last there, it was pouring rain when I arrived, so he let us pitch our tents under the covers of the large gazebo thing. Nice guy.

I like the motorcycle campground experience - having a fire that I don't have to build and coffee available in the morning is definite plus.

Something I miss out on is socialization like that but I have work and travel and that means an internet connection.
Still don' know what exactly I'm riding into weatherwise.
Tomorrow is sorted but uncertain further south. :(

Gonna ride up tomorrow as part of a loop.
Picked a lucky week weatherwise
20s all week and mostly mixed cloud / sun

Not sure about the ride home tho.

hi - heading to this area now - halfway there - sperm of the moment decision cause of the incredible weather we're having. Any suggestions on where to stay or not stay appreciated and like MacDoc it's a working holiday so wifi a requirement. thanks for all the info so far - much appreciated !

Back
Top Bottom