Two motorcyclists charged in collision that left pedestrian injured | GTAMotorcycle.com

Two motorcyclists charged in collision that left pedestrian injured

matthew

Site Supporter
http://globalnews.ca/news/1555564/t...ed-in-collision-that-left-pedestrian-injured/

Toronto police have charged two motorcyclists in connection with a collision that left a pedestrian badly injured.
It’s alleged the 67-year-old woman was walking on the sidewalk on Yonge Street near Pleasant Boulevard on April 6 when she was struck by a motorcycle that had been hit by a turning vehicle.
Police say the motorcycle was one of two heading north on Yonge Street and the other vehicle, driven by a 75-year-old man, was southbound when it turned left and struck one of the motorbikes.
The woman suffered life-threatening injuries, while the motorcycle driver – who was thrown from his bike – had non-life-threatening injuries. Both were treated in hospital.
Haytham Markos, 29, of Brampton, has been charged with dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing bodily harm, criminal negligence causing bodily harm and stunt driving.
Narciso Castro Gonzales, 30, of Ajax, is charged with dangerous operation of a motor vehicle and stunt driving.

[video=youtube;uQzqahbedYI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQzqahbedYI[/video]

[video=youtube;uQzqahbedYI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQzqahbedYI[/video]

Even though they say its the bikers fault, it actually isn't completely true.
No matter if he was filtering/veaving in and out, he still had right of way, that SUV turned in front of him, SUV did not have the right of way.

Both should-of been charged in the accident, and i see no stunting there at all, speeding: maybe (although doesnt look like it), dangerous operation: yes...

im interested in what they were charged with. there was a thread made when it happened.

sad to hear that a 75 year old made that turn. i usually don't even make that turn into that street. you can go east a bit on stclair and catch a side street. these 70 year olds need to stay off the road or know their limits.

Last edited:
im interested in what they were charged with. there was a thread made when it happened.

Haytham Markos, 29, of Brampton, has been charged with dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing bodily harm, criminal negligence causing bodily harm and stunt driving.
Narciso Castro Gonzales, 30, of Ajax, is charged with dangerous operation of a motor vehicle and stunt driving.

Glad these riders were charged. Extremely dangerous to be riding like that in that location, as they demonstrated.

Glad these riders were charged. Extremely dangerous to be riding like that in that location, as they demonstrated.

Agreed. Part of safe driving for any vehicle is riding in an somewhat predictable manner they defiantly were not. The turner obviously misjudged the speed of traffic given that he cut the truck off somewhat too but given the speed of traffic on these roads going at the speed limit the collision should have been avoidable.

i cant find the original thread regarding the crash but i remember it was start of the season and one of the nicest days in the year so far... recipe for yonge street hooliganism. the video is date april 6 2014 and says "this afternoon"

is it that BMW SUV that hit the rider?
it looks like the CAA truck may have had to hit its brakes to avoid hitting that SUV (if you call it a real suv...)

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]
Agreed. Part of safe driving for any vehicle is riding in an somewhat predictable manner they defiantly were not. The turner obviously misjudged the speed of traffic given that he cut the truck off somewhat too but given the speed of traffic on these roads going at the speed limit the collision should have been avoidable.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]there is actually a charge called unsafe left turn, it is the same classification as dangerous driving. i know because a old lady made a left in front of me and was charged, also pleaded guilty and paid the fine within 2 days.[/FONT]

Last edited:
is it that BMW SUV that hit the rider?

Yea the same. Given the situation charges would have been appropriate for the SUV driver to I would have thought. But the video quality is pretty crappy hard to make that determination based on it. Regardless the MC's were not operating in a safe manner.

Yea the same. Given the situation charges would have been appropriate for the SUV driver to I would have thought. But the video quality is pretty crappy hard to make that determination based on it. Regardless the MC's were not operating in a safe manner.

safe operating, not safe, doesn't matter, SUV driver should have been charged as well...

safe operating, not safe, doesn't matter, SUV driver should have been charged as well...

He may have been able to argue that he began turning left prior to the bikes changing lanes, and passing the vehicle they were behind, which he would also say he did have time to turn in front of...

He may have been able to argue that he began turning left prior to the bikes changing lanes, and passing the vehicle they were behind, which he would also say he did have time to turn in front of...

Exactly there isn't enough information to to determine if he should have been charged. At least not from the video alone.

Not according to that video, the CAA car was way too close to it as well, you can see CAA slamming on the brakes before the biker gets hit.
Also, SUV turning, between SUV and CAA truck there is at most one, one and a half car spaces = unsafe left turn

Not according to that video, the CAA car was way too close to it as well, you can see CAA slamming on the brakes before the biker gets hit.

No there is sudden deceleration right after the impact. Prior to that its really hard to tell if we was braking or not. Sun glare hits the window right before it. Hard to tell.

Tough call as the SUV may also be partially at fault...

HOWEVER...if I am making a left turn and I determine that given the oncoming traffic I'm safe to do so (CAA truck in left lane), and THEN a bike / car decides to dart out from behind the first oncoming car into right lane at a high rate of speed and he hits me, who's at fault? It was clear given the traffic condition and timing, however the bikes came out of line of sight (CAA truck) and were completely unexpected.

I'd say it's more on the rider's fault (unfortunately) then the SUV.

After looking at it a few more times I'd say the SUV had plenty of time to make the turn and the bike just happened to jump into the lane after the driver committed to the turn. You can see it on the left hand side of the CAA truck where the turn begins and the bike is still near the right rear quarter of the truck...completely out of sight of the turning vehicle.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom