Are armoured shirts the way to go? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Are armoured shirts the way to go?

Matty8

First time shopping for gear, jackets specifically. Trying to find a good setup that is flexible for all season, and not hard on the wallet. Buying multiple jackets is out of the question.

I heard of armoured shirts, seems like a great idea because I can just throw it under anything I want, or even just wear the armoured shirt alone if its really hot out. Just wondering if there are any downsides to them compared to buying an armored jacket. Any other alternatives I'm missing?

Thanks

If two jackets are out of the question you're probably in the wrong hobby.
Kinda like trying to buy one pair of shoes for all seasons in canada...

If two jackets are out of the question you're probably in the wrong hobby.
Kinda like trying to buy one pair of shoes for all seasons in canada...

So two jackets is the standard setup? One leather one mesh? please enlighten me.

Armored shirts tend to hold the armor in place better than armored jackets but don't provide any abrasion protection.

I just bought a textile jacket when I started, and if it's colder, I throw on a sweater underneath the jacket and zip up!
I got a lot of different sweaters, some super toasty, others a nice comfy 'liner' kinda deal.
Leather jackets, especially used, are pretty cheap anyways. A bunch on kijiji and here for under 100$

So two jackets is the standard setup? One leather one mesh? please enlighten me.

Mesh jacket is good for summer, you'll freeze at night or fall.

Leather are good for fall or cold nights, but you'll cook in 30+ weather...

Look at jackets that will allow you to wear warm clothing under with sufficient adjustment so that it fits well with both light and heavy layers. The Klim Latitude is not a cheap solution, but it's a good solution.

Take your time, do your research, ask the important questions. There's a lot of ******** out there that gets marketed as motorcycle gear. While it's often that you'll get what you pay for, sometimes you wont.

I ride 6-8 c to 30+ both in Canada and here.

Main jacket is a Joe Rocket mesh.....excellent up to 30 degrees....after that if it's casual riding it goes in the top case.
Armored shirts are great forwarm weather ...kid and I both wear them.....I think the armor sitting snug to the joint is good.

With JR mesh.... a liner is warm and reasonably water proof.
Then a full water proof over jacket from iCon makes it all warm enough to ride down to about 8 degrees,
I'll throw it on at night when it gets chilly and it's hi-viz so performs a couple of jobs.

I do have a ballistic jacket for colder than that.
Depends on how much you can or are willing to carry but in my view layers with a mesh jacket as a foundation works well.

I don't think an armored shirt alone is sufficient...I snagged my JR mesh for $50 used years ago. Lots of good gear on Kiji from people that spent too much on gear and too little on training.

Just takes a bit of running around.
I scored TWO brand new on the hanger name brand ballistic jackets for $200. Guy was quitting riding and was an impulse buyer.
Flipped one for $150 and still use the other in winter.

But happy with armored shirt as one of the options for riding especially in tropical Aus......I'd still recommend and armored jacket.

What's your budget? How early and late in the 'season' are you planning on riding? What are you riding?

I ride 6-8 c to 30+ both in Canada and here.

Main jacket is a Joe Rocket mesh.....excellent up to 30 degrees....after that if it's casual riding it goes in the top case.
Armored shirts are great forwarm weather ...kid and I both wear them.....I think the armor sitting snug to the joint is good.

With JR mesh.... a liner is warm and reasonably water proof.
Then a full water proof over jacket from iCon makes it all warm enough to ride down to about 8 degrees,
I'll throw it on at night when it gets chilly and it's hi-viz so performs a couple of jobs.

I do have a ballistic jacket for colder than that.
Depends on how much you can or are willing to carry but in my view layers with a mesh jacket as a foundation works well..

I wore a Held Tropic all year last year, from pretty much last snow fall in March or April, until the heavy snow in December. Layered as much as I could, wore Gerbing T5s, made it through to this year :p. Cashmere and wool are awesome for layering.

Last edited:
Perforated leather. Liner out when it's hot.
This. I've never had a mesh jacket. Perf leather works great for me even on the hottest days here or in the states and is warm enough with layers underneath to ride in single digit temps.

Get a good quality leather jacket. Spend the money. Mine isn't perforated and I don't "cook". If it starts to get hot, twist your wrist... Get pants too, textile is fine for street riding. Dainese pants and jackets all zip together to make full suits, you can mix and match your Dainese gear depending on the temps AND you will build up your inventory of gear eventually. Multiple helmets, jackets, gloves, pants, shoes, armour, etc. Don't bother with upgrading your bikes, screw putting anything on it until you have gear for all weather and riding styles. When I go fast, all leather, when I'm commuting or touring, textile. I'm a stickler for leather jackets and top quality gauntlet style gloves though.. I ride with a leather jacket all year round, regardless of temperature.

I just bought a textile jacket when I started, and if it's colder, I throw on a sweater underneath the jacket and zip up!
I got a lot of different sweaters, some super toasty, others a nice comfy 'liner' kinda deal.
Leather jackets, especially used, are pretty cheap anyways. A bunch on kijiji and here for under 100$
x2
Textile usually has a waterproof(ish) liner, without it in it passes a lot of air and keeps you cool, with it in it stops the wind and some rain. My one jacket for 5 years was the Alpinestars Stunt and it's awesome. Get it a touch big so you can put a fleece underneath.

If you're set on having only one jacket, then Perf'd leather with a liner. If no liner, just wear a sweater underneath when temps start to dip.

I've got the Icon Stryker Rig and it's usually all I wear on my upper body. It's a step above a squid vest because it covers your shoulders, elbows, and forearms but it might have very slightly less protection than a mesh jacket. They're very similar concepts, they just fit differently.

I thought it would be a lot nicer on hot days than a jacket, but to be honest there isn't much difference. It's all black and a lot tighter than a jacket so once you stop moving and there is no airflow it heats up quick.

On cold days I'll throw my textile jacket without the pads over top for some more abrasion protection. It does have way better padding than most cheap jackets.

you can look at getting a higher end 3 season mesh jacket. Something like a toumaster. Its cool in the summer with the outer shell removed and at night just add the shell back on. For end of season you can add the jacket liner in and layer up under for extra warmth. I don't recall ever going out and being cold with my tour master. except one time early morning when i didn't put the outer shell on.

I have a leather jacket, a leather/textile jacket and a textile jacket.

Shirts = no. I hear armored shirt and i forsee you squidding very often.

Go with the full protection right from the start. I learned that gear is important.

I can wear my leather jacket and pants in the heat and be fine. Textile is ok, but get's soaked sometimes.

I love wearing my leather icon jacket and joe rocket leather pants.

thats is my setup. Textile jacket and when it gets cold I can fit some warm layers underneath. When it's hot gotta try to keep moving or I boil lol

kind of difficult to not have more than one jacket in Canada. I have a Belstaff textile a Joe Rocket mesh and Alpine Star perforated leather.

one thing tho, if you are getting mesh / perforated leather ... try to get light colours. Dont get black, kind of defeats the purpose.
I made sure my warm weather gear is light .. (white and white helmet) makes a big difference.
this is my jacket.

o3Bll5Pl.jpg

Back
Top Bottom