Etiquette for barging in on group | GTAMotorcycle.com

Etiquette for barging in on group

Furpo

Site Supporter
Riding in the Muskokas this weekend I came across a number of groups. The first one I merged into as my lane was ending. This necessitated a change in their formation. Feeling odd about barging into the party I changed lanes again and drifted to the back of the group. I wanted to stay with them for a) safety in visible numbers and b) learning from others' riding. But it occurred to me that taking the last position could be confusing to those up ahead. So, what to do? Is there a method for joining in? Or should I just steer clear and leave established groups alone?

When it is one other rider I am not fussed, I just follow.

Best thing to do when you see a group is just start doing stand up wheelies and going through red lights.

Personally, I would avoid joining the middle of the group. Either merge ahead of, or behind them, depending on our relative speed.

Personally I think it's odd. Random stranger following would freak me out huge.

I was in a relatively large group, maybe 12 give or take. Some guy merged into the group. He then took a right turn and a couple of the folks behind him that weren't at 100% attention followed him and lost the group. Not blamin, just sayin.

If I am happen upon a moving group, I stay out of the formation and treat the group as any other vehicle (I ride in the left tire track at least 2 seconds behind the sweep rider). After watching for a while to see what the riding is like, I decide whether to continue on like this or split off (as many groups I have no interest in being near due to the probability of crashes or heat). If they stop for gas/food and I want in, I will ask then. Joining in formation with an unknown group of riders is just a recipe for disaster.

A good group ride leader will count the amount of riders at the beginning of the ride and do a quick count after any "fast" sections or at a stop sign after the group got a bit split. This is done in case someone went off road without no one realizing it.

If you join let's say a group of 12 and one of them goes weed whacking, the leader will still count 12 at the next count check and continue on thinking the group is complete (mostly if it is the sweeper the one that went off). If you want to join, follow at a distance from the group and once they stop, ask for permission.

If you accidentally cut into a group just slow dow & wave them by. I generally let them pass me in my own lane, because I'm aware of the motive.

As for following, I'd fall back a bit behind the last rider

Sent from my tablet using my paws

...If you want to join, follow at a distance from the group and once they stop, ask for permission.

That seems sensible. Thanks.

Personally I think it's odd. Random stranger following would freak me out huge.

Ha! I should clarify--not follow individual riders, just ride behind if they happen to be going in my direction. Doesn't have the complications of tailing a group ride.

A good group leader should know who the sweeper is....no counting needed if the sweeper is there still.

The other method is just fall to the back and pull up at the lights/stop sign and talk to the sweeper/tail gunner. Our guys (Mostly Tim) would be more then happy to tell you were we are heading and if you want to jump in great just hang out in front of the sweeper / tail gunner and then once you see how we ride at the next stop move where your riding style dictates. We have slower riders at the rear who like fast straights and faster cornering folks up at the front. Then everyone gets to have fun in the twisty stuff at a good pace.

I usually let them pass and avoid getting into large groups of riders I don't know. They went as a group for a reason so they can hopefully start and end in the same place.

Definitely avoid merging into the middle of the group. Think of it as a one solid train with cars. Hand signal to the sweeper for permission to join and get in front of him if one granted.

I've swept for some larger groups and we expect people will have to merge into the formation. Think about it, or use a calculator, 20 bikes at 80 kph with a 1 sec+ interval is going to be about 1/2 km in length. I'm in contact with the leader and let him know as people come in, go out, or just pass through.

Back
Top Bottom