Durham region soldering help needed :) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Durham region soldering help needed :)

cbcanada

Banned
Hey folks i am 2 solders away from fixing my fuel pump problem.. I cant get the solder to fall right on these two wires.. Inside a tight space (see photo)

Is anyone in durham good with soldering? I can bring the part to you.

y7ysuna2.jpg

"If i was educated, I'd be a damn fool"

I've a 40watt /20watt iron with rosin core solder in Brooklin if you want me to give it a go.

You may have luck with non acid flux paste to coat them before hitting them with heat.

Did you prep the ends with solder first before trying to join?

To be honest this was my first go at soldering wires.. If you can do it i will bring to you

ez peasy, you've got all the stuff, make a bunch of practice runs (simulate) on the work bench

Make sure you start with a clean tip, then 'tin' it with solder. I assume you have flux core (rosin) solder?

Lay the wire on the hot tip and feed a touch of solder into the bare wire end, a wisp of smoke is a good sign. The solder wicks into braided wire quickly, so a dab will do.
Repeat on the other wire.

Now prep the leads in the hole but be careful not to over heat them as it will transfer lower down into the joint. Get a wee blob of solder onto each contact.

Now heat the blob to a liquid state, and add in your wire end. Remove heat, allow to cool and do a light tug test.

Insulate the joint, then repeat on the other side.
If your tip runs too hot or smokes off the solder, dab it onto a moistened sponge to reduce tip temperature and prevent it burning off the solder tinned tip.

ez peasy, you've got all the stuff, make a bunch of practice runs (simulate) on the work bench

No its not two wires.. Its single wires both going on to a connector... I tried but couldnt

Spade style? Bullet? So you need the ends soldered on to the single wires?

Spade style? Bullet? So you need the ends soldered on to the single wires?

I think bullet. Yes.. Trust me i googled and tried all that. I just cant get it to work. Otherwise i wouldn't be on here asking.. I am going to take it to an appliance repair shop tomorrow and get them to do it.

So what happened? Did the connector not match up with the new fuel pump?

No i try and get the solder to hold but it falls down the side to bottom. Its hard to explain

I don't thoroughly understand the problem, but I'd be willing to take a look.

If solder doesn't stick, either the parts are dirty or they aren't hot enough. Heat the parts, not the solder, add solder once the parts are hot.

Interesting.. I think I started soldering wires when I was 13 or 14. I was into electronics etc. I take it for granted that everyone knows how to do this.. Anyway, there's good tips been posted here.

Interesting.. I think I started soldering wires when I was 13 or 14. I was into electronics etc. I take it for granted that everyone knows how to do this.. Anyway, there's good tips been posted here.

I think it has more to do with restricted access than the soldering process itself.

I think it has more to do with restricted access than the soldering process itself.

Correct.. I have a 3/4" enterance. And had to to 3/4" deep with 2 wires i have to avoid. Its not wire to wire connection...

In anycase i got it done !

I would like to mention and thank Rotten Ronnie for sending me a PM and offering to help.

Also want to thank Jayell for contacting me and offering to help!

Correct.. I have a 3/4" enterance. And had to to 3/4" deep with 2 wires i have to avoid. Its not wire to wire connection...

In anycase i got it done !

I would like to mention and thank Rotten Ronnie for sending me a PM and offering to help.

ah I see. :) yes, those tight spots are hard to get to. Glad you got it done without damage

Back
Top Bottom