Perogies recipe | GTAMotorcycle.com

Perogies recipe

Blueberry
Strawberry
Meat

Not together ofcourse lol

I should have been more specific. I dont make them from scratch I use frozen ones. I know for some of you thats probably a SIN.

I'm not against the idea of making the from scratch but i'm more looking for meal ideas to incorporate the frozen ones.

I here the dough is quite difficult to make!

Experiment with sauces or sides... For example, coating them in buttered breadcrumbs adds a new texture, plus if you add some fried onions into the mix, you're golden

I boil and then pan-fry mine as per instruction but I throw in like 5 cloves of garlic and 2-3 chopped up green onions and some dried crushed red chilies for a little spice. Fresh cilantro as a garnish and your golden...getting hungry just typing this!

I grew up with my Ukrainian Baba always making them from scratch. Everything since has been disappointing...

No name cheese and potato with bacon and onion no boiling - pan fried only with a bit of oil. If you do it slow you can pan fry from frozen. I'm not polish so I've never been spoiled with proper ones

Frozen here as well, so I guess this would be more of a preparation recipe. I cook the bacon, then cut into pieces. Then I drain some of the grease and sauté onion in the remaining grease. I boil the perogie then transfer to the bacon and onion mixture for 5 to 10 minutes. After the pan frying they go into a casserole dish and get smothered in cheese. Server with lots of sour cream.

I've been dying to make my own with a Mexican flavor. Some taco seasoning, jalepeno's, monteray jack.

Its wrong to mess with hundreds of years of tradition, but its also fun. Try salsa on top of potato/ bacon. Maple syrup on fruit perogies is ok. Perogies tossed in your favorite pasta sauce like a polish ravioli. The big difference in homemade VS. frozen commercial is the quality of what goes inside. Real bacon not a bacon flavoured substitute, mashed potato thats 100% potato, not industrial filler. The taste is quite remarkable and the dough is actually stupid easy to make.

I stick with tried and true! Mom makes them every few months and it's like a pierogi factory in her house! LoL Sister joins in and they go at it for a day or so making hundreds to freeze them up and then she's set for a few months. Typically I end up stealing a few just after they get cooked in boiled water, fresh and untouched by sauces, or any other adders.

As for frying...I fry them with a little bit of oil, and maybe some onions/bacon and then have the ones with potato and cheese with sour creme. The ones with mushrooms, kapusta, or meat I just fry up and enjoy.

My wife doesn't make em, but she found a sweet lil old Polish lady that sells them in Oakville for a decent price, and outside of the very thin dough, they're delicious!

Think I'll thaw some out for tomorrow!

Pierogies are time consuming but easy to make. Dough is about 4 cups of flour, an egg, pinch of salt. Blend. Then add "starch water", the water (cooled) of boiled potatoes. Should end up with pizza dough constancy.

Fillings are fun to change up but my hubby loves my family heirloom recipe - potatoes, good cheeses, minced garlic and onions mashed.

Water glass to cut the dough into circle shapes and start filling! I usually either at least double the recipe or quadruple, and freeze them for later. This is where great girlfriends and good wine come into play. Most of my girlfriends know my recipe, because at one time they have asked for it. I make em come out and help make batches to get it!

Take a look on food network. A lot of the recipes will be for making the actual perogies, but there are other pairing suggestions. I've made them from scratch, and the dough's not that difficult.

watching the news last night, I see there is some type of Polish festival happening this weekend. i think it is in the Toronto area? Good opportunity to get some good perogies.

This thread kind of made me chuckle, I do 95% of the cooking in our house. For some reason my wife who is half french and half Hungarian didn't get the great cooking gene. Anyways I also find the no name potato and bacon ones to be the best. I've tried the others and the flavour just ins't there. But I do as someone above said. I half cook a bunch of cut up bacon and onions then take them out of the pan. Boil the frozen perogies and then fry them in the grease from the bacon and once flipped in the pan I add a bunch of the bacon and onion and they finish all at the same time. I have also done this and then dumped all the perogies bacon and onions in a big dish and melted a **** ton of cheese on them in the oven, but they tend to get a bit too greasy that way.

Back
Top Bottom