Guys!!! I need your help with this. new rider + insurance=PROBLEMS!!!! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Guys!!! I need your help with this. new rider + insurance=PROBLEMS!!!!

as you may all know insurance for beginner riders is EXPENSIVE!! MY QUESTION IS THAT I AM 16 YEARS OLD AND AS YOU PROBABLY KNOW INSURANCE IS OFF THE CHARTS for me SO I DID A LITTLE DIGGING AND SAW THAT MY DAD SAME LICENCE (M1) INSURANCE IS WAYYYYYYY CHEAPER ($1,043 FOR A HONDA CBR125R 2007) SO I WAS WONDERING IF I WAS TO JOIN HIS PLAN AND BE THE SECOND DRIVER HOW HIGH WOULD THE INSURANCE GO? THANKS (please ignore the caps)

as you may all know insurance for beginner riders is EXPENSIVE!! MY QUESTION IS THAT I AM 16 YEARS OLD AND AS YOU PROBABLY KNOW INSURANCE IS OFF THE CHARTS for me SO I DID A LITTLE DIGGING AND SAW THAT MY DAD SAME LICENCE (M1) INSURANCE IS WAYYYYYYY CHEAPER ($1,043 FOR A HONDA CBR125R 2007) SO I WAS WONDERING IF I WAS TO JOIN HIS PLAN AND BE THE SECOND DRIVER HOW HIGH WOULD THE INSURANCE GO? THANKS (please ignore the caps)
i would think somewhere over nine thousand.

tumblr_lwhv2roIab1qd47jqo1_500.gif

I'm 17 and ride a 250. I'll be 18 in couple months. First season and on my own policy $2020 a year desjardins

call brokers...everyone will be different.

You need to make some calls like rice said! No one can give you exact numbers. Expect it to be over 2000 a year possible upto 10000 with some brokers.
At 16 you are a statistically significant on a 2 wheel vehicle(and a 4 wheeled one). But MC's cant have occasional drivers so they cant add you to his plan. Instead what would happen is the insurance company will charge your dad the rate for the highest risk rider in the in the house(Thats you). You should be disclosing to your dads insurance company that there is a second rider in the house so they can adjust the cost if you get in an accident on the your dads bike without disclosing the information that could be constituted fraud or at least give them some wiggle room on not paying out a claim. You dad can disclose your presence in the home and sign a waver that you wont ever ride the bike to keep his rates low...obviously then you cant ride the bike and you wont be insured.

To the best of my knowledge thats how it works.

Your looking at allot of money that unless your parents will pay or you'r independently wealthy you might be better of waiting till your 25 and saving the money you would have spent for college to keep you out of student debt.

If the second license holder in house is disclosed to insurance company, will he/she be automatically added to the policy as the occasional rider? i.e. does insurance distinguish between occasional rider and sole presence of a second license holder.

occasional driver usually depends on the # of vehicles in the household. If there are 2 drivers and 2 cars, each person will be deemed a primary driver of one of the vehicles and secondary on the other. The ins. companies aren't stupid...they want their money.

But actually howmuch would it cost? Any estimates?

There are tons of estimates, you just have to make the phone calls and find out what they are.....

Just a word of advice, Stay away from the insurance fraud at 16, If you get caught guess who will be on the bus for the next 5-10 years.

Your looking at allot of money that unless your parents will pay or you'r independently wealthy you might be better of waiting till your 25 and saving the money you would have spent for college to keep you out of student debt.

while most of what this guy says is right you don't have to wait til 25...

its easy to say for these old farts who have been riding for years but waiting 9 year is longer than half time you've been alive....however at 16 you do need some deep pockets or parents to cover you.

Your best bet is to get licensed now and do your course, get a part time job and save til 18/19. By then you'll have been licensed 2-3 years so at least you won't be labelled a 'new' rider and insurance won't be as harsh.

My first year I was 19 with a M1 and paid 3500 for a Ninja 250, year 2 it dropped to 2300. Next year I turn 25 and can't wait to see my rates...hopefully it will be under $1000.

No one can give you the "right" answer because it depends in way too many things... Call around like the other have advised. One thing is for sure...the older the bike and the lower the cc's...the lower the insurance. Start with a beater and when your insurance starts to go down over the years upgrade. My 2 cents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My buddy has his CBR F2 registered under his dad from 17 till he turned 23. His dad did not even have a MC license. Basically he was insured 100% as secondary. That's what his agent said. Dunno exactly what the agent did, and my buddy did not ask too many questions. Insurance with state farm was ~$1500

Back
Top Bottom