50+ Sport Bike Riders | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

50+ Sport Bike Riders

I turned the big 5 oh this year. Traded up to a BMW K 1600. Now before you star rolling your eyes, google it or youtube it, it's a real sleeper as far as LEO's go. Wasn't too shabby at the bmw track day at mosport driver development track. But that 's the great thing about over 50, don't give a rat's ***** if you agree or not. It' a blast!

Inreb, you're 55?

wtf?!

It's true, I've met him. That guy is older than dirt!

BTW, though my Thruxton ain't no SS, I also qualify for the old farts club.

Last edited:
It's true, I've met him. That guy is older than dirt!

BTW, though my Thruxton ain't no SS, I also qualify for the old farts club.

Hey don't sell yourself short. That Thruxton could easily do the metric ton. What's that? About 62mph?

Hey don't sell yourself short. That Thruxton could easily do the metric ton. What's that? About 62mph?

Quite correct. With the wind at my back, downhill, pointed towards a magnet factory.

I'm 55 and ride an FJR1300. It's not the fastest off the line but it's mid range acceleration still gives me a good adrenaline rush. The best part of all is it's comfortable to take across the continent and is insurance friendly.

Here's the thing... guys now in their 50s were guys in their 20s in the 80s, which was the best time ever in motorcycle history to ride bikes because of the cheap insurance, cheap bikes, and staggering array of sports bikes, from 6's to two-strokes. That formed a sport bike generation, and the numbers were huge on the roads. Every season saw ~20 new models and the power was increasing logarithmically. Big power then was 70-hp, with some goofy power at 100hp until the GSXR1100 at 130hp, which went to 160hp in five years.

You just cannot go from that to a Sportster easily, I'd rather hold on until I need a Rascal Scooter.

I'm 55 and my daily ride is an 08 FZ1 with suspension and exhaust mods, for fun my R6 takes me around the track in the red grp and just for the hell of it I ride my vintage Hondas from time to time. Been riding for 40 some yrs and only splashed down hard once on a CBX a long time ago. We do it because we love to ride, always rode a sporty bike and always will, I just like the style . When I was younger I could ride the SS all day but now it hurts my neck after a while so the sport touring if you want to call it works for me. I'm going to ride for as long as I can, my wife rides now as do my children......don't let the grey hair (or lack of in my case) fool ya

Here's the thing... guys now in their 50s were guys in their 20s in the 80s, which was the best time ever in motorcycle history to ride bikes because of the cheap insurance, cheap bikes, and staggering array of sports bikes, from 6's to two-strokes. That formed a sport bike generation, and the numbers were huge on the roads. Every season saw ~20 new models and the power was increasing logarithmically. Big power then was 70-hp, with some goofy power at 100hp until the GSXR1100 at 130hp, which went to 160hp in five years.

You just cannot go from that to a Sportster easily, I'd rather hold on until I need a Rascal Scooter.
Ah yep. I remember a friend giving me a ride on katana 1100. The spoke wheel silver model. It was a huge machine from what I was used to.

Sorry Mr. Perfect I'm not 50+ so I shouldn't have posted in here.... Geez what was I thinking, anyway I deleted comment so I didn't ruin your special 50+ world... I don't post much on here because of people like you... So you can throw one right up your *** ... You want to ban me giver ****...

Does the FZ-09 count? Also ride a Thruxton, but that isn't even remotely sporting, although I'm qualified at 53.

Does the FZ-09 count? Also ride a Thruxton, but that isn't even remotely sporting, although I'm qualified at 53.
Nope.. I think the original posters question was old guys with sport bikes with clip ons.. I.e.. Bent right over in a sporting position.

Kiwi, I think your close to the description. I think it's if it looks like your humping a football than its a sport bike.

My old man isn't much for the internet forum scene but he does enjoy my '09 GSX-R600. He's 62 and whenever I go away on business, I lend him my bike for the week... Luckily we are about the same size so he can borrow my coat and gloves.

The last time he dropped the bike off to my house, he was wearing a textile coat, cargo shorts and sandals. Before I could call him out on it, he said, "Yeah yeah, I squidded it over here, it's too hot for pants."

He doesn't have his own bike now, but, if he had the money, he would have a sport touring or a naked sport bike, I'm sure of it. Absolutely detests the Harley scene that riders his age are supposed to fit into.

Thumbs up to my old man for braving the loud akrapovic pipe to get his fix.

Back
Top Bottom