Help me decide -- DRZ 400 yay or nay | GTAMotorcycle.com

Help me decide -- DRZ 400 yay or nay

Motorcycle Mike

I'm this close to buying a DRZ 400 as a second bike (already have a wee-strom for touring).

It's a 2009, 10k km, FMJ pipe, jetted, seat concepts seat, rear and side racks, very clean and in pretty much perfect condition, $3500.

Had a KLX250 before -- liked it, didn't like how much I had to rev it out on the road to get to the dirt. The bike could probably handle the high revs fine, I just felt like I was killing it. Basically sold it to get the V-strom, now wishing I had both.

Considering a WR250, except I presume it revs out pretty high at speed just like the KLX, and I haven't seen one for less than $5k so I'd have more into it. As stated with the KLX, I am sure the high revving isn't a problem with the bike, more of a problem with me. It is more the price holding me back on this one.

Rode the DRZ; I like how it feels, even at 95kph indicated, and I love that there are tons of parts and accessories everywhere for this bike, although not that it needs much. I just want a tad more protection such as a rad guard and some sort of engine guard because I likely will dump it once or twice.

I'm not interested in anything bigger for offroad (DR, KLR), and I am not too keen on something expensive and high maintenance (KTM).

Is the DRZ my best bet? Should I pull the trigger?

I always liked the DRZ offroad. It's a good size. I test rode a new CRF250L and found it to be very well put together for the price. I would have a hard time picking between the two, but I'm a Honda fan...

$3500 for a clean semi farkeled bike in the size you like? Of course you should buy it.

Nope. You obviously have doubts. Can you send me the info on where to pick up the bike and I'll report back how disappointed I am????

Nope. You obviously have doubts. Can you send me the info on where to pick up the bike and I'll report back how disappointed I am????

3500 10k is worth every penny. I have an 07 with 25k 24 of it are mine. Ride it everyday change the oil regular and I've had 0 issues with the bike. As nakkers said post up the info :lmao: I know a couple people that would jump all over that.

Thanks guys, I figured it was a good deal as I couldn't find much on kijiji that came close. I'm going to go for it.

Here is a picture for reference... it is amazingly clean and I suspect the owner who put the 10k on must have commuted with it as there is zero damage from drops. I don't know what the rope in this picture was for... likely just a way to carry it as it wasn't on when I rode the bike. I'll probably lose the side racks as well, unless I can figure out a way of strengthening the aluminum bits it connects to on the subframe as I heard they like to snap off when you crash with side racks.

bMPoeJZ.jpg

Looks pretty clean, and sounds like a good price.

Thanks guys, I figured it was a good deal as I couldn't find much on kijiji that came close. I'm going to go for it.

Here is a picture for reference... it is amazingly clean and I suspect the owner who put the 10k on must have commuted with it as there is zero damage from drops. I don't know what the rope in this picture was for... likely just a way to carry it as it wasn't on when I rode the bike. I'll probably lose the side racks as well, unless I can figure out a way of strengthening the aluminum bits it connects to on the subframe as I heard they like to snap off when you crash with side racks.

bMPoeJZ.jpg

Horrible seat and they are quite tall, if that doesn't bother you, it's a good deal.

The stock subframe is notoriously weak. I wouldn't put a lot of weight on the rack if you do use it.

I did a few multi day camping trips with mainly offroad riding with saddle bags and rotopax's strapped on. I have never heard the subframe being weak.

I like mine. It's great fun when we get out riding single track and still it isn't too spooky at 110kph with the Kenda trackmasters.

If you want to improve the seat get a seat concepts kit.

It comes with a seat concepts seat, which is not only lower than stock but is much more comfortable.

I have bought the bike, it has been certified and insurance is on it, now I just need to go get it.

Back
Top Bottom