First time need tips scooter. | GTAMotorcycle.com

First time need tips scooter.

50ouncebrew

So i'm 17 and i wanna get a scooter i have some questions

1. Do i need a licence

2. What scooter can ride on a road without a licence? and whats the max speed

3. Whats the cheapest scooter out there in Toronto GTA

1. you need a license for any scooters...
2. see answer 1. max speeds on scooters depends on cc engine size
3. cheapest? hmm bws 50 can be had for about 1k used (?) use kijiji.

Contact MacDoc

Sent from my tablet using my paws

ebikes don't need a license or insurance. All gas powered vehicles do. Insurance will cost you more than the vehicle (many times more). Don't get caught riding a vehicle in the grey area (ebike with pedals removed or more power) or you can get over $5000 in tickets (no license, no insurance, no plate, improper helmet, etc.).

So i'm 17 and i wanna get a scooter i have some questions

1. Do i need a licence

2. What scooter can ride on a road without a licence? and whats the max speed

3. Whats the cheapest scooter out there in Toronto GTA
If you Google, there a GTA scooter club... On meetup.com
You'll get a ton of information there

E-bike is the only thing you can ride without insurance etc. Don't know much about them, but I've heard that a good one is well over $1000. If this is the way you want to go, you will be hated by everyone who you are sharing the road / sidewalk / bike path with. They go about 30 km / hr, so will not keep up with traffic. The tires are really skinny and will actively look for street car tracks to get caught in. For about the same price you can get a 50cc scooter. The Yamaha Vino is probably the cheapest of the Jap scoots at about or sub $1000 for a good condition bike, which are all really high quality, but Kymco and SYM make good quality PRC scoots, and there are also good ones from Aprilia and Piaggio (Vespa) at a bit of a premium. 50cc scoots will bounce off 60 km / hr downhill with a good tail wind, but in an urban area are sufficient to keep up with traffic. The tires are fatter than e-bikes, so they can handle road conditions better, and they often get in the 100 mpg range. You also only need a "ML" license (limited speed). Insurance is really cheap on these, and they cost very little to maintain. From there you get into 125 cc scoots, which you can get either a full M or an ML license with and cost only minimally more to buy. Insurance is more on them, but they are way more capable and feel more substantial. My wife rides a SYM HD200, which is 173 cc, will do 110 km / h pretty easily, is liquid cooled, and has 16" tires, which is rare on a scoot.

Check insurance prices first. Get quotes on 50cc, 125cc, and 150cc. These are the more common sized motors. I have a Kymco Super 9LC 2 stroke 50cc. Fast and fun to drive. Mine has 12 inch fat wheels and disc brakes front and rear. Loads of aftermarket kit to make it faster but it will reduce reliability. I also have a 2007 Yamaha C3 or cube. 4 stroke fuel injected and liquid cooled. Starts every time.

06super9r.gif

I have an Aprilia Scarabeo 200 (in addition to my bike) and it's great. 16" wheels, 185cc, 15hp and perfect for my 10 min commute every day.

Would recommend.

Here is a tip....

Don't care what people on this forum or other say about scooters. If you enjoy it ride it!

I've seen a Burgman embarrass CBRs on track days, and some scooters are better highway bikes than Gold Wings.

My dad still scoots at 80, but I can't get comfortable with the car-like seating position in corners, just doesn't feel right.

I've seen a Burgman embarrass CBRs on track days, and some scooters are better highway bikes than Gold Wings.

My dad still scoots at 80, but I can't get comfortable with the car-like seating position in corners, just doesn't feel right.

Dats cool you don't have to like things. I prefer bikes over scooters but i have a soft spot for them. I think its cause my day was a MOD back in the 60's and i always kinda enjoyed the MOD scene. Kinda wish it would make a comeback

Dats cool you don't have to like things. I prefer bikes over scooters but i have a soft spot for them. I think its cause my day was a MOD back in the 60's and i always kinda enjoyed the MOD scene. Kinda wish it would make a comeback

It made a comeback in the 90s on Queen street.

Here is hoping for a nation wide return! i need an excuse to buy a slim cut in stripe suit and a parka!

It caused a huge demand for Lambrettas and two-stroke Vespas around Toronto, which started selling at ridiculous prices. My dad said in the 60s, you ordered a Vespa from the Sears catalog and no licence was required. The only people who rode them in Toronto were Italian and British immigrants.

Here is hoping for a nation wide return! i need an excuse to buy a slim cut in stripe suit and a parka!

You need an excuse? Don't deny yourself just get one. You only live once and with a scooter not even that long.

Don't get an e-bike. You are 17: It's either a bicycle or a proper engine. If a scooter I would strongly recommend getting 150cc. They are as easy to ride as 50cc but can go on 80kmh highways very comfortably. (They can go on freeways but can't get out of trouble's path very easily so best avoided.) The best value, not cheapest, would be a Taiwanese model. Italian makes charge for the name. Try Fada Scoters in Ken. Mkt. for advice. Not Motoretta. And a training course would be good. Scooter's are just automatic motorcycles so can also be hazardous to the untrained.

Back
Top Bottom