West Coast/Cali Riding | GTAMotorcycle.com

West Coast/Cali Riding

knowledge

Site Supporter
Hey Guys,

I'd like to ride some of the West Coast while I'm here. I'm pretty flexible on time, but ultimately just looking to get my riding fix in... so I'd be happy to get a few solid days-a week on. It'd be a couple of months from now, but I'd imagine that weather wouldn't change all that much, anyway.

Do you guys have any experience with Route 36 or Highway 1 along the coast? I'd be happy with a 250/300 unless you guys think I'd need more. Any company recommendations or roads that you'd recommend over the 2 roads I was planning on riding?

TIA

I rode coastal road 1 (and 101 when 1 stopped) from San Fran to Newport OR. this past July. No experience with 36. Great ride. Take time to stop at public access beaches. (I didn't so much.)

a9c9910a7116fd610b00a604972f5ad7.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know how cold it would get in a few months.

d5f8cf0e22af12630d2f21113cf12975.jpg

ea6348cca5f912f264a842746278ae52.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. Out of curiosity, how much time did you spend on your trip around the US?!

Thanks for sharing. Out of curiosity, how much time did you spend on your trip around the US?!

30 days, 9000miles, 20 states

it was 4 days up the coast from San Fran to Newport OR, then inland on the 4th day to Albany OR, as motels were booked up along the coast on the weekend.

then another day on the interstate through Portland to Seattle.

Last edited:
Where did you rent from? I rent in Palm Springs but the only option is Eagle Rider with a few BMWs and mostly Harleys.

Where did you rent from? I rent in Palm Springs but the only option is Eagle Rider with a few BMWs and mostly Harleys.

I just booked a three-day ride down Highway 1 with Eagle Rider for October.

I was hoping to get a Bonneville but might end up with a Harley 1200 Sportster depending on availability.

If I get stuck with a Harley again I'll rent a car. I don't why they rent mostly Harley when the BMWs and Triumphs never seem available.

There are other places in the Santa Monica area that rent sportbikes and GSs and so on. 200mile /day, as far as I know though.

And in Vancouver, there is Cycle BC.

Last edited:
If I get stuck with a Harley again I'll rent a car. I don't why they rent mostly Harley when the BMWs and Triumphs never seem available.

I'm guessing because of demand (for the Harleys)?

I just got an email that they're negotiating the purchase of 10 new Bonnies so I might be able to get one for my trip.

At the same time, considering the type of ride it is (leisurely), I don't really mind the sportster. Plus, who knows when I'd ever get the chance to ride one?

There's a guy in LA who rents all sorts-a bikes.

http://www.racyrentals.com/

Watch your mileage though.

OP: the canyon roads around LA are incredible ... hwy 1 gets interesting up closer to San Fran, but is a bit boring (straight) for the first several hours leaving LA, headed north.

Head to the mountains for the best roads.

d

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom