What's with all the fatal crash threads? | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's with all the fatal crash threads?

dirtbag

I don't mean to be callous but riders die every day somewhere, just like people in cars. That's just a fact of life.

What's the good of bringing it up here?

No one posts when a car crash turns fatal. Unless you knew these people personally they're just another statistic. Let it go and move on.

If it prompts someone else into changing their actions and that prevents a subsequent collision, it's worthwhile ... In order for this to work, the circumstances have to become known and made public, though ...

The threads are to inform others not only of fatal accidents but others as well. We are a community. We may have at some point rode with those involved. It also serves as a reminder how dangerous riding can be.

It also provides for an opportunity to express your condolences to the family friends. People start "roadside memorials" all the time this is just the digital version.

If your not interested in the threads then there is a simple solution... just don't open and read them.

I don't mean to be callous but riders die every day somewhere, just like people in cars. That's just a fact of life.

No one posts when a car crash turns fatal. Unless you knew these people personally they're just another statistic. Let it go and move on.

I read them because the same crash that might give you whiplash in a car is going to be way more serious on a bike.

It's a way of making sure I don't get complacent I case there's some behaviour I can change that will help me. I already approach intersections with a lot of caution mainly due to these threads.

The threads are to inform others not only of fatal accidents but others as well. We are a community. We may have at some point rode with those involved. It also serves as a reminder how dangerous riding can be.

It also provides for an opportunity to express your condolences to the family friends. People start "roadside memorials" all the time this is just the digital version.

If your not interested in the threads then there is a simple solution... just don't open and read them.

I don't read them. The title makes it obvious what's inside.

In rock climbing and mountaineering there are detailed write ups on accidents. There's an annually published report and less formal discussions on forums. They try to determine how the accident could have been avoided and recommended procedures with anchors, belaying, etc. are changed. Lives are saved as a result.

We could do with more of that, not less.

Riding may be a spiritual pursuit but we're not the Catholic Church. Death and destruction are part of the rich fabric of our wonderful sport. Why would anybody want to sweep that under the rug?

Maybe because its becoming an increasing statistic year over year and something needs to be done about rider safety?

In rock climbing and mountaineering there are detailed write ups on accidents. There's an annually published report and less formal discussions on forums. They try to determine how the accident could have been avoided and recommended procedures with anchors, belaying, etc. are changed. Lives are saved as a result.

The problem seems to be the message is not getting through because, unfortunately, riders are continuing to get injured. They do not heed the message and learn lessons; rather it seems many continue to ride with an air of invincibility. I'm not solely blaming motorcyclists but it would be beneficial if motorcycle accidents were investigated and reported to the depth done in the sport of mountaineering and that participants adopted the recommendations, as do mountaineers.

You tried, you failed. I s'pose you think newspaper aught to stop publishing obituaries too eh?

Maybe because its becoming an increasing statistic year over year and something needs to be done about rider safety?

Except deaths have steadily decreased in the last decade.

I don't get the trite sentiments of "RIP" to people they never knew, but people do this for dead celebrities too. Dead is not resting, it's dead.

No one seems to give a f-ck about riders seriously injured or crippled.

Advrider has faceplant thread and I read it often in hope to learn something. For some reason any attempt to analyze situation here seems to be discouraged. Not sure why, probably went sideways in the past....

That seems sensible. When I am a perfect rider I will stop reading crash reports.

Agreed. Any crash thread is pretty useless without a reasonable attempt to analyze why the crash happened. I'd suspect you are correct that things go sideways whenever a discussion is attempted about a crash. Hence the fallen rider section with nothing other then gws/rip.... But, this is probably best for GTAM as I believe the success of the forum is in a large part due to its "family friendly" nature.

Advrider has faceplant thread and I read it often in hope to learn something. For some reason any attempt to analyze situation here seems to be discouraged. Not sure why, probably went sideways in the past....

I just don't get the whole RIP or GWS posting for riders who you don't know and never met. Before you got a motorcycle license, did you ever care that a rider crashed? Does it give you a sense of community and connection? Not for me, guess I'm callous too.

This^

"If i was educated, I'd be a damn fool"

Back
Top Bottom