Oiling chain while on the road without center stand? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Oiling chain while on the road without center stand?

Motorcycle Mike

On my wee Strom it's not an issue, I have a center stand.

When I had a klx I just waited until I got going and I could put it on a crate, but the chain suffered and didn't last long.

Now I am pretty close to buying a drz400 as a second bike, but I want to be able to take better care of its chain.

Does anyone use a packjack www.packjack.ca? Reviews? Better alternatives or solutions?

Spray exposed chain, roll bike forward, repeat. An o ring chain is lubed internally and sealed. Lasts you long time.

http://www.endurostar.com

I've owned two of them, as my brother-in-law liked it so much I left one with him while visiting.

And yes, you can pop off a tire roadside, I've done it with mine.

Leave it assembled on your tool box for lube in the driveway, strip it apart and stow under seat or in a tool tube. Mine made the Labrador Highway in my tool tube, and now resides in my top case for longer trips.
3f400e32d0fb02d3fa879b88118ebf83.jpg
1f90867e24dd5f9f643bf96fe85f5f7c.jpg

Last edited:
Spray exposed chain, roll bike forward, repeat. An o ring chain is lubed internally and sealed. Lasts you long time.
This. Unless you're offroading or going across country I can't see it being an issue. What was your last chain?

This. Unless you're offroading or going across country I can't see it being an issue. What was your last chain?

I bought a did o ring chain. I rode across the country and back this summer, but I have a center stand.

Last edited:
I have packjack for sale, group buy with friends before, still few new left, $35
pm me if interest, I go around GTA
review... well it's simple, jack up to lube is fine, but I won't take off the rear wheel by this

I'll definitely be offroading the drz, the wee is for touring. I might, however, ride the drz to Vermont for cromag in a couple weeks, so I guess it'll be doing both.

I fail to see why the type of stand is important... both my bikes I would just spray the exposed chain then roll the bike forward/back to expose more and repeat until it was all lubed...

If I wanted to make it easier I could even take off the chain guard but I don't because that would take as long as lubing the whole chain (which takes like 2 minutes).

1. Stop
2. Lube bottom rung of chain
3. roll bike forwards
4. follow step 2.
5. Follow step 3 and 4 resp. untill slick chain appears
6. (optional). Run a rag following step#3 to take access grease off
7. Save $35
8.:D

I have the packjak and it works great. Just place it under the spool and push with your foot. Raises the back wheel just enough to allow it turn freely. Makes chain cleaning and lube even easier than using a rear stand.

An old newfie taught me this trick. Stand beside the bike, soak rear tire with chain lube, rev to 8 grand and dump clutch. Ya got 10 seconds before anything happens.... if you can see the chain for the smoke

I fail to see why the type of stand is important... both my bikes I would just spray the exposed chain then roll the bike forward/back to expose more and repeat until it was all lubed...

If I wanted to make it easier I could even take off the chain guard but I don't because that would take as long as lubing the whole chain (which takes like 2 minutes).
The stand I posted can be used to remove the rims. A Velcro strap goes on to the front brake to stop it rolling forward so you can remove the rear tire to pull the tube and fix the flat.

It doubles as a one man stand to lube the chain.

I have a set of pitbull stands in my garage, but they don't pack down very small. :D

I have a Rollastand that I used to use with my Z750S. You roll the back wheel onto it and then it rotates freely while on the side stand and you can lube the chain easily. Solid bit of kit, bit heavy for fast and light packing though. I still have it actually and should sell it.

I have a packjack and it works alright.
The Tirox product looks much better, but it's twice the price.

Is the packjack tall enough for the DRZ?

Back
Top Bottom