It begins.. Ontario Govt to reduce std road limit to 40km/ph !!! | GTAMotorcycle.com

It begins.. Ontario Govt to reduce std road limit to 40km/ph !!!

kiwi

The Ontario government is putting the brakes on speed limits along residential streets across Ontario.Community Safety Minister Yasir Naqvi told CBC radio Ottawa Morning on Friday the Liberal government is expected to table an amendment to the Highway Traffic Act this fall lowering the default speed limit to 40 kilometres per hour from 50.

“Fifty kilometres an hour is too fast,” the Ottawa-Centre MPP told CBC, adding he supports the move to lower the speed limit.

“If you look at some other jurisdictions, like New York City and Paris, you'll see they're taking the same initiatives,” Naqvi said. “And I think it will put Ontario in a leadership place in North America by reducing the speed by these 10 kilometres an hour,” he said.

Neither Naqvi nor his office could be reached by the Star for further comment.

Naqvi said in the CBC interview that when he goes door to door “this is an issue that comes up often.”

“You've got a lot of young children who play on the street, especially in the summer months.”

“New Democrats are open to ways to improve road safety. As always, we will look closely at any legislation brought forward and consult with police, municipalities, and other stakeholders,” NDP transportation critic Joe Cimino said.

In Toronto, there has been pressure on city council to lower the default speed even lower to 30 km/h on residential streets in some cases.

Toronto’s chief medical officer Dr. David McKeown in 2012 advocated a 30 km/h speed limit on residential streets and “a citywide speed limit of 40 km/h on all other streets” to reduce the severity of injuries to pedestrians and cyclists.

McKeown made the proposals upon the release of a $45,000 report, “Road to Health: Improving Walking and Cycling in Toronto,” which cited evidence that pedestrians are far less likely to be killed for every 10 km/h reduction below 60 km/h.

“Small increases in traffic speeds results in a disproportionately large increase in pedestrian fatalities,” McKeown wrote.

According to the World Health Organization, almost 50 per cent of pedestrian deaths occur when the car is travelling at 50 km/h. At 80 km/h, the odds of survival are close to nil. But at 30 km/h or slower, more than 90 per cent of those struck make it out alive.

The Star previously reported that reducing deaths is one reason cities like Paris have put in place, or are pushing for, nearly citywide 30-km/h speed limits. And not only that, say advocates: a 30-km/h limit reduces congestion and energy costs, is environmentally friendly and strengthens a sense of community.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/..._cut_speed_limits_on_residential_streets.html

That'll make it a lot harder to dine and dash but texting should be easier for everybody.

Ironically the people crying and complaining about speeding cars etc and want the limit decreased are the same ****ers who speed on their way to the GO Train, the shop or to drop their kids off at school. I see this in my NIMBY neighbourhood.

That'll make it a lot harder to dine and dash but texting should be easier for everybody.

I might have to start clutching in and coasting on the bike to go that speed ;-)

See my sig

According to the World Health Organization, almost 50 per cent of pedestrian deaths occur when the car is travelling at 50 km/h. At 80 km/h, the odds of survival are close to nil. But at 30 km/h or slower, more than 90 per cent of those struck make it out alive.

OF COURSE THAT IS. It's like saying most shark attacks happen by the ocean. Absolutely zero value added using that statement, wow!

When most vehicles drive a certain speed, most accidents will happen around those speeds. Is that really so hard to grasp?

I'll hand it to them though, they manage to suggest lower limits without once suggesting how much more $ they'll gain through speeding tickets.

This is the reason speed limits should be set by engineers, not politicians.

Always worth a watch:
[video=youtube;2BKdbxX1pDw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BKdbxX1pDw[/video]

Does anyone in the TO core ever get to exceed this speed anyway? :p

I can see how i could support slower speeds on a subdivision street. but not on arterial roads. If there are traffic lights, i would suggest this means that the flow should be greater, probably 60-70 km/h?

I think i would trade 50kph roadways for 40kph if that meant we could get 110 or 120 highways :)

The Hamilton North End recently(in the last year I believe) revised some street traffic limits to 30 kph in an attempt to promote community safety, I am sure they have parked lots of revenue collectors in the area too.

pedestrians are far less likely to be killed for every 10 km/h reduction below 60 km/h.
Hotels.com_Captain_Obvious_LockedUp.jpg

“You've got a lot of young children who play on the street, especially in the summer months.”

I've got three kids, we don't let them play in traffic.

I've got three kids, we don't let them play in traffic.

you are withholding half of the fun of being a kid from your children :D

Perhaps I will have to start pushing my motorcycle in the residential area or just switch to bicycle :(

How about cracking down on stupid jaywalkers. They don't even look or care anymore. It's not like cars end up on sidewalks. Pedestrians are on the street when they shouldn't be.

When I read these things I get the urge to get an icon vest and wheelie on these tards street.

Safer than walking on them....the idjits in the SUVs late for work barrel down out crescent sometimes at 80-90
....30-40kph limit - ain't gonna change that behaviour.
Speed bumps do.
Preferably the ones like the Forks with nice Mcycle lanes through them :D

They are comparing Ontario to NY??? Ontario is a big place you know!

Back
Top Bottom