Chain Lube or Chain Wax? - [Sport Bikes] | GTAMotorcycle.com

Chain Lube or Chain Wax? - [Sport Bikes]

xX-GMan-Xx

Site Supporter
Which one is the best way to go for a Sports Bike, Chain Lube or Chain Wax?

I have been using Chain Lube but every time after lubing the chain (and letting it dry out for more than 24 hours even), some lube gets sprayed onto the wheel / tire while riding.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong!!! what would be the proper way to avoid it?

I'm thinking of using the wax instead, maybe the wax doesn't get sprayed around?
I haven't used wax before so looking for some insight. anyone used wax before?

Wax flings as well, but not as badly as motor oil and wet chain lube.

Bel Ray makes an antifling chain lube, but needs regular cleaning to remove the build up, for sand and dust turn it into something like a valve grinding paste if you leave it.

I've used Teflon multilube before with good results, but it needs to be applied a bit more frequently. I pick it up at Lowe's.

Amsoil HDMP. Zero fling, chain looks wet with lube even a week after you lubed it. Stuff is amazing :)

Oh yeah, a single can will last you two years :D

Of all the lube I've used I like the wax the best.

You're supposed to wipe if off when it has soaked in

I'm using DuPont Teflon Chainsaver (Similar to post 2) available at Lowe's.

I'm not using anything else, ever again... I picked up 4 cans last time I went. My chain is looking damn fine, and I just rolled 23000 on it.

+1 for Dupont Teflon Chainsaver. Remember you're primary goal is lubing the o-rings and rollers, not trying to coat the entire chain. Give it a good application, then wipe off the excess with a shop rag.

I use heavy weight gear oil in a small oil can. I bought 1L of it from Canadian Tire about 7 years ago for $50 and I'm still using it.

When I'm on a long day or multi day trip, I use the DuPont Teflon stuff.

I used lube for a few seasons but switched to wax last year. Much cleaner and lasts longer in my experience. Not going back to lube

Is the Amsoil HDMP or the Dupont clear? I use the Belray wax one, and I hate how it leaves a white film. Sure it tells us it's on there and it's working, but it's ugly as hell.

In the years I've been riding, I've been through a few chains ...

The chain that I had the shortest life from (about 10,000 km) was lubricated with Chain Wax.

I now oil them with used motor oil from a small squirt bottle. Drip on evenly, wait a while for it to soak in, wipe off excess with an old rag.

Since switching to oiling them, I have yet to have a chain wear out.

YES, it's messy. YES, it flings off ... but in doing so, it carries the dirt with it.

I use Chainsaver for the only reason that it's cheap and convenient. It works ok in the dry, but the one minute in the rain and it's gone. The old Dupont Teflon lube seemed to last much much longer.

I'm using DuPont Teflon Chainsaver (Similar to post 2) available at Lowe's.

I'm not using anything else, ever again... I picked up 4 cans last time I went. My chain is looking damn fine, and I just rolled 23000 on it.

+1 For the DuPont stuff, I bought a replacement chain and sprockets a year ago as my current chain had over 25,000 on it. I'm over well 30,000 on it now and I haven't had to change it or adjust it once this year. ($110 DID, cheapest chain I've ever bought)

Last edited:
I'll have to try this Dupont stuff.

I've been using Wurth HS2000 and I lube it up every fillup (400km). It flings a lot, and is messy, but it doesn't matter because my bike is messy after riding tons of gravel roads. The problem is that Wurth is hard to find -- I was buying at their factory in Mississauga, but now they moved to Guelph. It is also $20 a can, but might be a much bigger can than that Dupont.

I use V-Tom method of non maintenance for chains... just lube often, never clean. I am at 35000km on this chain and it hasn't stretched noticeably yet (haven't adjusted it). Looks in perfect shape too and little to no wear on the sprockets.

I'll have to try this Dupont stuff.

I've been using Wurth HS2000 and I lube it up every fillup (400km). It flings a lot, and is messy, but it doesn't matter because my bike is messy after riding tons of gravel roads. The problem is that Wurth is hard to find -- I was buying at their factory in Mississauga, but now they moved to Guelph. It is also $20 a can, but might be a much bigger can than that Dupont.

I use V-Tom method of non maintenance for chains... just lube often, never clean. I am at 35000km on this chain and it hasn't stretched noticeably yet (haven't adjusted it). Looks in perfect shape too and little to no wear on the sprockets.

I think Rosey Toes still sells it @ $15/can

Lube is only good when the Chain is good and hot Chains expand when hot. Soaks right in. Spray it right on the chain after a ride using cardboard as a backdrop. Then wipe off the excess with a rag.

+1 for Dupont Teflon Chainsaver. Remember you're primary goal is lubing the o-rings and rollers, not trying to coat the entire chain. Give it a good application, then wipe off the excess with a shop rag.
You're supposed to "unstick" the rollers that don't move during your cleaning and lubing. Dirty built up lube causes them to not to roll.

On my GS500F I found that using Bel-Ray Super Clean Chain Lube protected my chain from rust and streching. I was able to go 28,000 km with out have to adjust the tension on the chain. Every 600 to 800 km depending on riding conditions I would first clean the chain with Kerosene and a grunge brush and and then spray on the lube.
Will continue using Bel-Ray Super Clean Chain Lube on my next bike. (Looking at a new 650 V storm for next season)

Back
Top Bottom