Dropped my bike. What damage should I be worried about? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dropped my bike. What damage should I be worried about?

gptt916

Site Supporter
Hi guys. I m a new rider and have been riding for two months. Everything was fine until just now when I was pulling into my street.

There's been construction on my street and it gets covered in Gravel and dirt. They usually rinse it every night but I guess they missed today.

I was going 25km/h maybe 30. It was a little dark and I didn't notice the Gravel and I lowsided. I have a few bruises and some road rash but that's about it.

Visible damage on my bike is just a few scratches here and there thanks to my sliders. And also a bent shift lever. I m planning to take it off tomorrow and try to bend it back.

I was wondering could there be any other possible damage to the bike that I should be worried about? I m planning to bring it onto the dealer tomorrow and have then check the bike. But I just want a heads up.

Also ok a side note I ride a ninja 300.

uploadfromtaptalk1409892244399.jpg

Glad you're Ok, lowsides aren't fun!

The dealer will look for an excuse to replace/service your bike, guaranteed.

A lowside with only the above noted damage, shouldn't have a problem.
Check on it tomorrow morning, see if there are any fluids, oil, gas, etc under your bike. Google accordingly.
Otherwise, I'm sure youre fine.

If the shifter isnt acting up. keep using it but make sure you order a new one to replace it to not miss any riding days. Check everything. Brakeing clutch cables throttle, foot pegs. See if you feel anything different. If all seems normal then you're good to go. Whenever there's construction and you know of it, ALWAYS assume there's gravel and dirt etc. The last 2 turns on my street has gravel and dirt due to a couple neighbours doing reno on their lot. Most days it's clean but i always assume it's not.

Yeah, what mango said. You should be good to go. Dealer will want to change your oil or something...

Careful with the lever, it's white metal and will bend so far then simply snap. If you can get it close, take that to the bank.

Be prepared to buy a new lever as well as a new gear shift.

All the $ signs are gone now, and you might want to wait until the end of the season before you shell out for cosmetics.

With going only 25 - 30Km/h the damage will be limited as others have stated. I am going to guess you were riding squid, (given the road rash, (which you wouldn't have gotten had you been wearing proper gear). Likely a little more sore today. So thankfully you don't have to spend a lot on repairs, use those savings to get yourself proper gear. Shifters and levers can easily be replaced skin not so much

Thanks for the advice guys
With going only 25 - 30Km/h the damage will be limited as others have stated. I am going to guess you were riding squid, (given the road rash, (which you wouldn't have gotten had you been wearing proper gear). Likely a little more sore today. So thankfully you don't have to spend a lot on repairs, use those savings to get yourself proper gear. Shifters and levers can easily be replaced skin not so much
I actually had my gear. But my jacket slipped from the impact and that's where I got the road rash on my waist. The jacket isn't lose its snug fit as well. :(

Thanks for the advice guys

I actually had my gear. But my jacket slipped from the impact and that's where I got the road rash on my waist. The jacket isn't lose its snug fit as well. :(

Gauntlet gloves and jackets zipped to pants ftw.

I would loosen the forks and tighten back up but I wouldn't recommend you doing this unless you know what you are doing. Simple but if you don't have a torque wrench and don't know the torque numbers etc.

I do have a torque wrench and have the repair manual for the bike. I might give it a try after doing some reading. Thanks for the advice.

the ninja 300 is a tank man! trust me....crashed it at a very high speed( fast eneough for that lil bugger!) ... heavy damage but all can be fixed...

glad you are ok though!

it's aluminum. White metal is zinc. Either way, cannot be bent back.
Cast aluminum then. They can be bent back as I've done it on many bikes on the lot after students drop them, but you learn quickly that you can only get so much out of it before they snap.

Back
Top Bottom