Winter Tire Recommendations... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Winter Tire Recommendations...

Zoodles95

Site Supporter
My winter tires are toast on my HHR. When it is time to throw the steelies back onto my cage I will need to put new winters on them. I have been using gislaved tires which came on the HHR when I bought it. The last new winter tires I bought were Blizzaks for my Civic I used to own.

So... What is a good mid priced winter tire? Any new technology the past few seasons? FWIW, my all seasons on the HHR are Micheline Primacy MX4 which has been a nice set of tires so far.

General altimax arctic...cant be beat for what it costs

I found a set of nearly new BF Goodrich winter tires, on rims with TPMS's for $500 from Kijiji last year... they seem pretty good, actually.

In the last 5 years I have had:

Firestone Winterforce
General Altimax Artic
Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60
Michelin X-Ice 2
Michelin X-Ice 3
Nokian Hakkapelita

Best value - General Altimax Artic

Most overrated: Blizzak WS-60. Don't know if the WS-70 has improved, but the WS-60 wore out extremely fast on a 2600 lb FWD sedan. On the same car I had Nokian's that had 5-6 winters on them and still had 5-6 32nd's and still going strong

Best Overall: Nokian Hakapelita, then X-ICE. Nokians wear like iron. They are hard to fine and fetch a premium. Performance from the X-Ice are on a similiar level, wear not as good. Easier to find the Michelins and they are a bit cheaper than Nokians.

Worst of the bunch: Firestone Winterforce, but it is also the cheapest of the bunch. It is also head and shoulders better than any all season in snow or ice.

General altimax arctic...cant be beat for what it costs

Especially is you buy it and have them installed at walmart in the USA.

I hate my yokohoma IG20. They last a really long time though... been driving them in the summer just to get rid of them.

I've had Toyo Garit before and absolutely love them! Price wasn't the cheapest, but the ride quality, noise, and fuel efficiency with em were fantastic. This was on a RWD Genesis Coupe.

If you're looking for tires I HIGHLY recommend Simply Tire on Toro Road. I've bought tires there over the last 5-6 years and couldn't be happier with the service. Allen knows his stuff, and the shop is always busy. Price usually came in either a bit higher, or even with TireRack.com pricing with install.

I hate my yokohoma IG20. They last a really long time though... been driving them in the summer just to get rid of them.

surprised to hear this. I've run just about every brand of snow tire (won't touch bridgestones) and the IG20 stays on my impressive list. They were fully competent in the snow, but in the dry they handled as well as an all season tire. Was always looking forward to slapping these on my car as it made it that much more fun to drive.

Also on the subject of snow tires, bought a set of used Hankook iPike winters off Kijiji for our SUV a few years ago. Although I'd never buy another set, they were hugely impressive when the going got nasty.

They are predicting another nasty winter for 2014/15, gonna be shopping for new 18" winters for the car and the SUV (not a fan of obviously smaller sized rims and steelies). Ouch$$$$$$

Oh, and for the record, although I've never had a "bad" winter tire ( I think you can't go wrong with any major brand these days) my best experience with winters, by far are the Michelin X-Ice2 and the Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow.

The IG20 are good on soft snow, but on dry pavement they are way worse than all seasons.

Michelin Road 4 used it all winter

The good news is tires are much cheaper overall today then few years back so winters are much more affordable.

Michelin X-Ice 3 is the best winter tire in my opinion (for GTA) and I think the only winter tire on the market right now that actually has a mileage warranty.

I would also consider Bridgestone Blizzak WS-80 (it is a brand new design, just came out) or DM-V1 (for SUVs and trucks).

Nokian makes good winters, they invented them, however they are a much smaller company and I don't believe they spend the same kind of money on research and design as the big boys on all of their products, nevertheless, a great option with their Hakkapellitta line.

The above 3 companies are generally considered the cream of the crop. You don't believe me, search around. You'll see them popplng up on almost any kind of a list.

Pirelli and Dunlop have decent offerings as well, with their premium lines.

Toyo, Yokohama, BFG and Continental are brands I would look at if I needed to find a bargain price.

General Altimax is nowhere near close to the levels of performance Michelin, Nokian (with their top line) or Bridgestone offer.
It's a decent tire but a different ballpark. I'd still buy it ahead of a Goodyear or Firestone.

Someone mentioned Blizzak WS-60 as not being the greatest - true - however that was discontinued many years ago and doesn't represent the current state of affairs at Bridgestone.
WS-70 were a huge improvement and now they are also gone so we're talking 2 generations of tires ago.

It is also important to realize, that in the city we mostly deal with ice, slush or even dry pavement - not so much heavy snow. Get a tire that is optimized for those conditions if you live in an urban setting. Many manufacturers designate different tires for different type of vehicles, most notably passenger, SUV and LT, and performance. So that's yet another factor.

A thing to remember - great wear doesn't always mean that the tire is good - quite often it means that it has been optimized for dry winter driving or simply that the rubber compounds are too stiff (often the case with cheap tires and low end manufacturers). People praise them for great tread life without realizing that the performance they're getting is probably just a bit better than your average all-season.

Finally, despite all that, almost any "winter only" designated tire will outperform an all-season or a summer tire during the cold season. So yes, it's definitely worth it.

As for TPMS - it's not a law to have them in Canada so you guys don't need to spend the money. However, the cost went down and you can find them for 40 bucks a pop, brand new. They have a life of around 10 years on average, btw.

OP - if you like your Michelin Primacy MXV4 all seasons then replace them with Michelin Premier A/S when the time comes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom