Are some ABS systems better than others? TC too? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Are some ABS systems better than others? TC too?

GixxerL2: 2013+ Tuonos have the same calipers as the RSV4 & Panigale, considered to be the best OEM-supplied calipers on the market today. FYI. Ducati's got a different paint scheme and they label the caliper differently, it's a "m50" caliper but otherwise is identical, so I've been told.

OP: Anything with Bosch gen 9 braking system (that's pretty much all current boutique european bikes and Kawasaki ZXR) is top of the line. The very latest version has a more advanced system for safer braking while leaned over, supposedly you can't lock the front, ever. In practice it appears to be a subtly better system than has appeared on the boutique euro bikes like 2013+ RSV4, 2010+ S1000RR, 2011+ ZX10R, etc. so I wouldn't be too concerned with that versus the existing system. I expect that most or possibly all the brands using the gen9 stuff will move to the latest revision soon but it may be a cost issue and only appear on "specials," at least for a while. Aprilia's current ABS might be a little more advanced than BMW's but there is at least one bike out with the next point revision that incorporates more information - Aprilia's can determine if the rear is lifting and mitigate it (software selectable, by the way) but the point revision can act a little faster in a leaned-over situation.

As another poster pointed out, the new KTM Adventure has the point revision gen 9 brakes (are they calling them gen 10 now? not sure but it seems not) and you'll certainly see it appear on other bikes over the following few years as Bosch is far ahead of everyone else. Honda ABS works very well but the module is about 22lbs if memory serves, versus about 4.5lbs for the Bosch units - and the Honda does not incorporate any lean sensor information as does the Bosch unit.

Oh, and I hate linked brakes.

Last edited:
Is it just me or is this thread the first interesting discussion on here in the last few months? Thanks for the great info Shaman!

I'd hate to think how many accidents could have been avoided if more people had ABS on their bikes. I've been saved who knows how many times by ABS. Last time I was coming in way too fast into a turn, in the wet, and had to brake hard just before entering the turn. Had I not had ABS I would likely be in the guard rail(going 100kph) with a broken neck/back.

2013+ Tuonos have the same calipers as the RSV4 & Panigale, considered to be the best OEM-supplied calipers on the market today.

I agree with you, jumping from gixxer Brembo to Tuono's made me realise how good Ape's front brake is but you should test ride the S1K R next year if you have a chance. That bike's front brake is a killer and I wouldn't want to ride that bike in a slippery condition without the ABS. I personally think it has too much braking power for an inline 4 engine, I'm pretty sure you know what I meant ;)

If the brakes are particularly ferocious, it's likely pad choice. The calipers and rotors are not special. I've seen a number of warped S1KRR rotors as well.

The pads matter more to "perceived power" on modern bikes than the hardware. GSXRs for example come with newbie-friendly pads that gradually apply, but the brake hardware will surprise you by bottoming your forks easily with just a more aggressive pad. For that reason, it's unwise to judge a bike's brake hardware just by the pad they decided to use... sportbike brake hardware is not at all like most cars, where the amount of heat generated by hard driving can easily overwhelm the hardware.

Last edited:
. I've been saved who knows how many times by ABS. Last time I was coming in way too fast into a turn, in the wet, and had to brake hard just before entering the turn. Had I not had ABS I would likely be in the guard rail(going 100kph) with a broken neck/back.

Have u ever ridden a non abs bike?

Is it just me or is this thread the first interesting discussion on here in the last few months? Thanks for the great info Shaman!

I'd hate to think how many accidents could have been avoided if more people had ABS on their bikes. I've been saved who knows how many times by ABS. Last time I was coming in way too fast into a turn, in the wet, and had to brake hard just before entering the turn. Had I not had ABS I would likely be in the guard rail(going 100kph) with a broken neck/back.

Or just be a smarter rider. I've never had a bike with abs and I've never had an incident where I wanted it.

I see the benefits to adding abs but feel like too many people think they'll be able to ride however they want and rely on it instead of learning proper technique. Having TC/ABS doesn't mean you can do stupid things on a bike and come out unscathed.

Or just be a smarter rider. I've never had a bike with abs and I've never had an incident where I wanted it.

I see the benefits to adding abs but feel like too many people think they'll be able to ride however they want and rely on it instead of learning proper technique. Having TC/ABS doesn't mean you can do stupid things on a bike and come out unscathed.

Well you don't want it till you need it. Of course it's no substitute for proper riding technique, but the point is that it can save you from a fall when you do end up doing something stupid.

All I can say... ABS brakes are great. Picked up a new KTM 690 Enduro R and already had to test them under a "holy ****" moment.

I was driving down a gravel road, doing maybe 50 KM/H and somebody suddenly pulled out of the bushes (was a hidden driveway). Bike stopped really fast, could feel the ABS working. The bike was sliding a bit, but I felt in control. I couldn't really ask for more.

I know people hate ABS offroad, but on a slippery gravel road it worked freaking amazing... Definitely sold.

Love this KTM Enduro :)

Edit: I think the 1190 has a bit newer ABS system than the 690... but the ABS on the 690 still works well from what I've experienced. So YES there are different ABS systems.

Last edited:
Well you don't want it till you need it. Of course it's no substitute for proper riding technique, but the point is that it can save you from a fall when you do end up doing something stupid.

Roads are wet, take it easy, leave extra space. In 13 years of street riding I haven't wanted or needed abs. I see the benefits and I'm not arguing that it isn't a good tool for emergency situations like a car pulling out in front of you. Coming into a corner too hot, panicking and locking the front brake is lack of skill or bad judgement. Abs won't always save your bacon and I would never rely on it or TC. Grab a mitt full while leaned over, I bet you'll still end up on your face.

ABS would probably have saved me a crash at Deal's Gap in 2006. It was dry on the way up to the Overlook and began raining and blowing hard at the same time. So, the brakes were hot. I literally just touched the front brake at Guardrail Cliff and it was enough to lock the front, in the fresh rain, with green leaves blown onto the road surface. If I hadn't used the brake, I may not have made the corner. Catch-22, ABS might have solved it for me. This happened at 30mph, destroyed the bike when it went down the cliff, and separated my left shoulder.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom