Repair and repaint of track bodywork | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Repair and repaint of track bodywork

Yes he does. I dont believe Les paints in winter so if you want it done better move yer ***** .
People need to understand what materials cost.
Gallon of clear is $190 (ratio is 4:1)
Clear activator $95/qrt
Primer $120/gallon (ratio is 4:1)
Primer Activator $75/qrt
Straight base colours $75-95/qrt (solvent) (ratio 1:1 with thinners plus activator)
Straight base colours $150-300/qrt (water) (ratio 4:1 with activator)
Solvent Activator $95/qrt
Thinners $40/gallon
Gun Wash $120/5gallon
Sand discs $1 each
fibreglass matting 10x10 $40
Resin $50/gallon
Fill $80/gallon
grease and silicone remover $25/qrt
tack cloths $1.50
None of this includes the amount of time required to properly prep for paint . Just an example BRAND NEW track glass I will spend generally 2-3 hours prepping it, granted some better than others. Prepping street plastics even longer including decal removal. Then primer and after that sanding and spot puddy small imperfections and sand again if much prime again. If not then its base x 2-3 coats with 30 min between. Then clear x 2-3 coats with 30 min between. Depending on what we are doing sometimes wet sand next day and reclear. If you want multiple colours then full dry tape and repeat for each colour. In between guns completely disassembled cleaned for next application. After all done you can wet sand up to 2000 plus compound and glaze if desired.
TRUST ME nobody is making a killing painting motorcycles. I do it because I enjoy the finished products but to be honest some jobs are just a PIA.
The only reason I posted this was to give an idea of costs. Keeping in mind your painter also has to have a booth and equipment such as a decent compressor, air cleaners/dryers, and a decent gun or three, multiple sanders, buffing equiplent/pads.
Anyway next time you ask for a paint quote just remember what your actually receiving.

Amen brother

Yes he does. I dont believe Les paints in winter so if you want it done better move yer ***** .
People need to understand what materials cost.
Gallon of clear is $190 (ratio is 4:1)
Clear activator $95/qrt
Primer $120/gallon (ratio is 4:1)
Primer Activator $75/qrt
Straight base colours $75-95/qrt (solvent) (ratio 1:1 with thinners plus activator)
Straight base colours $150-300/qrt (water) (ratio 4:1 with activator)
Solvent Activator $95/qrt
Thinners $40/gallon
Gun Wash $120/5gallon
Sand discs $1 each
fibreglass matting 10x10 $40
Resin $50/gallon
Fill $80/gallon
grease and silicone remover $25/qrt
tack cloths $1.50
None of this includes the amount of time required to properly prep for paint . Just an example BRAND NEW track glass I will spend generally 2-3 hours prepping it, granted some better than others. Prepping street plastics even longer including decal removal. Then primer and after that sanding and spot puddy small imperfections and sand again if much prime again. If not then its base x 2-3 coats with 30 min between. Then clear x 2-3 coats with 30 min between. Depending on what we are doing sometimes wet sand next day and reclear. If you want multiple colours then full dry tape and repeat for each colour. In between guns completely disassembled cleaned for next application. After all done you can wet sand up to 2000 plus compound and glaze if desired.
TRUST ME nobody is making a killing painting motorcycles. I do it because I enjoy the finished products but to be honest some jobs are just a PIA.
The only reason I posted this was to give an idea of costs. Keeping in mind your painter also has to have a booth and equipment such as a decent compressor, air cleaners/dryers, and a decent gun or three, multiple sanders, buffing equiplent/pads.
Anyway next time you ask for a paint quote just remember what your actually receiving.

OK, I see there is close to 1500 bucks in material and what not, but that is a lot of material for one bike ? or does all that do more than one bike ? and if so then the cost of material is not so much....right ?

I don't know, just asking

OK, I see there is close to 1500 bucks in material and what not, but that is a lot of material for one bike ? or does all that do more than one bike ? and if so then the cost of material is not so much....right ?

I don't know, just asking

Obviously its not all for one machine. I am just giving an idea of material costs. Point being forget the time and skill involved to be able to repair and paint. Too many riders asking quotes seem to have a price in mind reflecting the $6 rattlecan they saw on the shelf at Canadian Tire and get shocked when they are quoted 2-5 hundred. It was just a reference for the non-painters. Take a look at who backs up my list..........its the painters.

If its new bodywork we can do over net. If it needs repairs etc I really have to see it I may be able to give a general ideas with some pics but really need to see it.

Further than materials....does anyone here honestly believe that any tradesman who is proficient in his craft, has invested many years (decades possibly) in learning it, buying tools of the trade, and building a reputation, is not worth at least $40/hr for merely his sweat equity?

I know alot of these guys are giving away their time alot cheaper than that after the material cost is factored in.

I don't remember anyone asking for $100 paint jobs. We understand what it costs and aren't asking for free work.

I don't remember anyone asking for $100 paint jobs. We understand what it costs and aren't asking for free work.

Your right somewhat Benny "most" people are realistic. But then you get the Kijiji guys (who are bored and lurking on GTAM) you tell them say $400 and you get the "I will give you $150 CASH!" dont laugh I have got them more than you would believe or some variations. I didnt post the costs to stir up crap I believe most non painters really understand the costs is all. It was just a quick overview and Scott is right people that have skills that are honed and applied have value.

Ken are you available this weekend? I would like to bring my track fairings for a quote.
Both need repairs... not heavy damage a few cracks and one broken locations may be 2 Inches wide

LOL- YAh Ken, you available?

Shah- bring it to Grand Bend with you when you come to spectate SOAR races.

Back
Top Bottom